NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
A strong price for sure. Particularly since some collectors/dealers wonder whether it is a legitimate card or not. Would be curious what the grading companies would say about it.

jeff
Jeff

Curious what the concerns are? Maybe that this is a paper header card attached to another card? Only thing I can think of. Please enlighten
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Peter

Well if you go by the original dealer's notations on the back, they didn't think it was anything special either.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:06 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Jeff

Curious what the concerns are? Maybe that this is a paper header card attached to another card? Only thing I can think of. Please enlighten
That's it. There are examples of this checklist out there but they are all paper thin. The displays out there from the ESCO machines that distributed these cards all have paper thin images of the cards pasted on them. Here is one I have.

Regardless, it is a really cool item and if it hadn't gone so high I would have loved to have had it!

jeff
Old 12-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I feel like the N162 Beecher should be on any football card Mount Rushmore. Definitely Nagursk belongs, and it is the only no-brainer. I hate to admit that the Namath belongs up there. I would round it out with the Sport Kings Grange.
I wouldn't fist-fight you if you wanted to argue Jim Brown and Johnny U belong over any of my suggestions other than nagurski. And I also think the Mayo Cut Anonymous deserves strong consideration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93AD504D-9BED-4B41-B3AB-A8CF46171AB2.jpg (71.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Id go with

Nagurski
Unitas
Brown
Namath
Old 12-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Mark

Completely agree with glynparson. While Dunlop and Beecher are great cards, their value is based solely on rarity. I’d rather have cards of players that non-collectors would appreciate.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Mine..

Brown
Montana
LT
Brady
Old 12-05-2017, 11:45 AM
John

The first 3 came to mind right away: ’35 Nagurski, N302 Mayo Dunlop/Anonymous, ’65 Namath

But I think the 4th one could be just about anything. A '57 Unitas is a nice safe choice, but I could see an argument for any card already mentioned - one card I thought of that I don't think anyone else threw out is the '89 Score Barry Sanders (I kind of think of it as football's analog to the Griffey Jr rookie). I’ll take the ’48 Leaf Bednarik because its a high numbered card from an iconic set. (I eliminated the Jim Brown rookie just on the aesthetics of that card and set design, but I'd be fine with Chris's suggestion of the '59 Bazooka.)

My card picks don’t overlap with my pro football Mount Rushmore though. In that case I’d say: Lawrence Taylor, Don Hutson/Jerry Rice, Sammy Baugh/Otto Graham, Jim Brown if starting point is 1920/Jim Thorpe if starting point is the beginning of time. I wanted to have at least one defensive player and not have two players at the same position, so odd as it sounds if I really had to pick 4, I wouldn't have Brown or Rice (Thorpe, LT, Hutson, Baugh). Jeff mentioned the '33 Thorpe already. I think the '55 AA Hutson and '48 Leaf Baugh (there's that set again) are nice too as possible 4ths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48_Bednarik_Front_3.jpg (77.8 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 12-05-2017 at 04:03 PM.