NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Dan

Default Hello All

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I just joined the site. Its incredible how much knowledge is on this site. I was up all night reading threads and learning lots of things I never knew.
After 30+ years of collecting cards and memorabilia in all sports I've finally narrowed my pursuit down to a single player. I'm now trying to assemble a collection the finest known graded examples of all Roger Bresnahan cards and variations.

I look forward to being a part of the community and if anyone has any high grade Bresnahan's they are looking to part with please let me know.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Welcome to the site Dan! Why have you decided to focus solely on Bresnahan? Just curious.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Paul Herbener

Welcome Dan!! You'll find everything you need here! Good luck!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Nic

Welcome! Great site and knowledgeable members!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Welcome to the site Dan! Why have you decided to focus solely on Bresnahan? Just curious.
Excuse the length of the post but I've never really put the story in writing. For the short answer please scroll to the bottom.

Like many people who grew up in the 1980-90's most of my money went solely to accumulating as many of the then current rookie cards as possible (especially once Upper Deck launched). I enjoyed it very much but as we all know most of those cards are virtually worthless. If only Sam Horn or Gregg Jeffries had panned out I'd be a rich man

Anyway, in the early days of computers (way before internet) my friend had a baseball video game on an Amiga which was probably a top of the line computer at the time. The game was called "Earl Weaver Baseball" which allowed my friends and I to form a league and assemble teams using players from all eras. So many of the dead ball era and negro league players like Lajoie and Gibson were unheard of to me at the time. I drafted Roger Bresnahan as my catcher and he was great (he put up way better numbers in the video game world than in real life!).

So one year at the East Coast National I decided I wanted a tobacco card of one of the players on my team. This was also before grading so anything remotely close to EX-MT was priced at book value and as a 17 year old I really could only afford a nice T207 Bresnahan. Probably 15 years later I submitted it to PSA and it came back a 7. I slowly accumulated Bresnahan cards but not with a ton of attention to grade. Now that I have two kids and closets full of cards, it became time to condense my collection. Although I make a decent living, I can't afford the high grade examples of Cobb, Jackson, Ruth, etc., so I focused on Bresnahan as a HOFer that was (and still is) relatively affordable. I know people's arguments for why that is the case but I enjoy it. More importantly, I enjoy collecting again with focus rather then trying to buy everything I like.

Short answer - I saw him on a video game.

Last edited by cjack51; 08-17-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 AM
David McDonald

Welcome to Net54. Heritage Auctions had a ton of Roger Bresnahan items including some beautiful cabinet cards in their February 2015 auction. I picked up a large panorama photo of a Pirates-Giants game at the Polo Grounds in 1905 which had Bresnahan family provenance. He is behind the plate in the picture although you'd need a microscope to make him out. I know he's there because I looked up the box score in the failing NYT archives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NYG Polo Grds 1905.jpg (81.3 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07411.jpg (71.9 KB, 294 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Welcome to Net54. Heritage Auctions had a ton of Roger Bresnahan items including some beautiful cabinet cards in their February 2015 auction. I picked up a large panorama photo of a Pirates-Giants game at the Polo Grounds in 1905 which had Bresnahan family provenance. He is behind the plate in the picture although you'd need a microscope to make him out. I know he's there because I looked up the box score in the failing NYT archives.
That photo is beautiful! I must have missed this auction unfortunately.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Jeff Lowe

Default Welcome Dan

Good luck with your collection , I think you picked a great player to concentrate on .

Jeff
Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Dan - Welcome. I admire your discipline to keep your target down to one player...and a good choice at that...some nice cards available at somewhat affordable prices.

You may want to add your interest in Bresnahan to your signature page...that way, every time you post, folks will see it.

There is also a 'what do you collect?' thread going right now that you can post to.

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-17-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:07 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack51 View Post
Excuse the length of the post but I've never really put the story in writing. For the short answer please scroll to the bottom.

Like many people who grew up in the 1980-90's most of my money went solely to accumulating as many of the then current rookie cards as possible (especially once Upper Deck launched). I enjoyed it very much but as we all know most of those cards are virtually worthless. If only Sam Horn or Gregg Jeffries had panned out I'd be a rich man

Anyway, in the early days of computers (way before internet) my friend had a baseball video game on an Amiga which was probably a top of the line computer at the time. The game was called "Earl Weaver Baseball" which allowed my friends and I to form a league and assemble teams using players from all eras. So many of the dead ball era and negro league players like Lajoie and Gibson were unheard of to me at the time. I drafted Roger Bresnahan as my catcher and he was great (he put up way better numbers in the video game world than in real life!).

So one year at the East Coast National I decided I wanted a tobacco card of one of the players on my team. This was also before grading so anything remotely close to EX-MT was priced at book value and as a 17 year old I really could only afford a nice T207 Bresnahan. Probably 15 years later I submitted it to PSA and it came back a 7. I slowly accumulated Bresnahan cards but not with a ton of attention to grade. Now that I have two kids and closets full of cards, it became time to condense my collection. Although I make a decent living, I can't afford the high grade examples of Cobb, Jackson, Ruth, etc., so I focused on Bresnahan as a HOFer that was (and still is) relatively affordable. I know people's arguments for why that is the case but I enjoy it. More importantly, I enjoy collecting again with focus rather then trying to buy everything I like.

Short answer - I saw him on a video game.
One of the best answers ever to the question of "what do you collect."

Welcome to the board. Now I want to play Earl Weaver Baseball. Sounds like Bresnahan was the equivalent to Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
One of the best answers ever to the question of "what do you collect."

Welcome to the board. Now I want to play Earl Weaver Baseball. Sounds like Bresnahan was the equivalent to Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl.
Thanks! From vague recollection I believe Hack Wilson was actually the "Bo Jackson" of that game. Pitching-wise I think it was Hal Newhouser or Herb Score (despite Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Koufax, etc. being included in the game).
Old 08-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Dan - Welcome. I admire your discipline to keep your target down to one player...and a good choice at that...some nice cards available at somewhat affordable prices.

You may want to add your interest in Bresnahan to your signature page...that way, every time you post, folks will see it.

There is also a 'what do you collect?' thread going right now that you can post to.

-Raymond
Thanks for the tips Raymond!

Last edited by cjack51; 08-17-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:26 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
That photo is beautiful! I must have missed this auction unfortunately.
Here is a link to Heritage's February 21-22, 2015 Platinum Night Auction : https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...=SortBy-071515
Don't know if one needs to be logged into their Heritage account to see it but give it a try. It is also possible that a copy of the catalog could be acquired from them but am not sure. Lots of eye candy for the Bresnahan collector.

ETA: Heritage has a feature whereby you can make an offer to the owner through them, so in case you've just gotta have any of these items you can mortgage the house, kids and dog and go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903 Horner cab.jpg (74.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg 1904 Horner cab.jpg (75.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Circa 1895 Manistee MI team foto.jpg (72.8 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Postcards.jpg (89.3 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Kawika; 08-17-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Here is a link to Heritage's February 21-22, 2015 Platinum Night Auction : https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...=SortBy-071515
Don't know if one needs to be logged into their Heritage account to see it but give it a try. It is also possible that a copy of the catalog could be acquired from them but am not sure. Lots of eye candy for the Bresnahan collector.

ETA: Heritage has a feature whereby you can make an offer to the owner through them, so in case you've just gotta have any of these items you can mortgage the house, kids and dog and go for it.

WOW. You were not kidding. I'm almost relieved I didn't see this back then or I'd be bankrupt. Would have to keep the kids. Not sure I would get much for the wife

Last edited by cjack51; 08-17-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
WOW. You were not kidding. I'm almost relieved I didn't see this back then or I'd be bankrupt. Would have to keep the kids. Not sure I would get much for the wife

Post a Scan - You Never Know...

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-17-2017, 01:40 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Yeah. A lot of fellows here are unfamiliar with women.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:28 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

There is a Bresnahan game used bat at the current Christie's auction. Can't remember the last time I saw another.

Tom C
Old 08-17-2017, 03:11 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
There is a Bresnahan game used bat at the current Christie's auction. Can't remember the last time I saw another.

Tom C

They are claiming that it's the only one that they have authenticated. I propose that we all sit back and let Dan win it!

Last edited by Mark; 08-17-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Ben

Hey Dan,

Welcome to to net54. If you want a card, a Bresnahan card that is, there is probably a 99.99% chance that someone on here has what you need.

Lots of good info on the site. Lots of members who have great knowledge about the hobby. Use it to you advantage.

I check the site all of the time to see what's up.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:39 PM
pete ullman

welcome Dan...I have zero Besnahans in my collection!
Old 08-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Sean Costello

Hi Dan, you sound like you'll fit right in.

The T206 Bresnahan batting is one of my favorite cards in the set, so I have a few. In fact, I just completed a back run earlier this year. Here's a couple:

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg
Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 PM
Todd Schultz

Default a few m101s

Don't know if you consider this a card, although they are graded:

M101-5 backs are tough to find.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I just joined the site. Its incredible how much knowledge is on this site. I was up all night reading threads and learning lots of things I never knew.
After 30+ years of collecting cards and memorabilia in all sports I've finally narrowed my pursuit down to a single player. I'm now trying to assemble a collection the finest known graded examples of all Roger Bresnahan cards and variations.

I look forward to being a part of the community and if anyone has any high grade Bresnahan's they are looking to part with please let me know.

Thanks!

Dan
Welcome to the fray and happy collecting!! Don't think I have any Bressy's right now but here is one from my past collection..It came from an old time type card collector...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe98oldputoverprints.jpg (77.7 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Welcome to the fray and happy collecting!! Don't think I have any Bressy's right now but here is one from my past collection..It came from an old time type card collector...
Thanks Leon! Funny, I imagine this happens frequently on this site but that Old Put has migrated to my collection! Got it on Heritage back in 2015. Looks like the label has faded a bit since you had it so maybe I should re-holder.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf (1).jpg (72.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Hi Dan, you sound like you'll fit right in.

The T206 Bresnahan batting is one of my favorite cards in the set, so I have a few. In fact, I just completed a back run earlier this year. Here's a couple:
Awesome cards Sean and thanks for the welcome! I picked up a Broad Leaf about a year ago.
The Carolina Brights is in great condition, I don't know that I've seen one higher. Did you get it from a collector or auction? Just curious because I feel like I have a lot of wantlist searches out there and there are several items in this thread alone that I didn't know were ever up for auction.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM
A.J. Johnson

Default Roger Bres bat

Love Roger B!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roger Bresnahan Spalding Store Model Bat .jpg (79.6 KB, 61 views)
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post

Tom C
Thanks for the heads-up Tom. Not sure if this one will stay within my budget but good to know!

Dan
Old 08-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Welcome!

Old 08-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Awesome cards Sean and thanks for the welcome! I picked up a Broad Leaf about a year ago.
The Carolina Brights is in great condition, I don't know that I've seen one higher. Did you get it from a collector or auction? Just curious because I feel like I have a lot of wantlist searches out there and there are several items in this thread alone that I didn't know were ever up for auction.

Thanks,
Dan
I bought it from David Levin in 2004. There was a T214 Victory in the last REA, were you bidding on that one?

Here are my other Bresnahans:

scan0001.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg
Old 08-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Thanks Leon! Funny, I imagine this happens frequently on this site but that Old Put has migrated to my collection! Got it on Heritage back in 2015. Looks like the label has faded a bit since you had it so maybe I should re-holder.

Dan
Dan,
Heritage auctioned Leon's former, fabulous, type collection back in 2015; hence you acquired this card from Leon via Heritage.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Ron

Quote:

This line had me and my wife laughing pretty good.

Here are my meager Bresnahans...
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This an amazing site! The wealth of knowledge found here is seemingly endless. In addition to the information, lots of amusing moments/comedy can be found among the old threads. The "Bruce Dorskind - Archive" confrontation is timeless.

Welcome,
Ron