NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Hmmm... Sticker on my SGC submission

Just got my submission back from SGC, and this 'static sticker' was on the top of the stack. Not quite sure how I feel about this.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
Just got my submission back from SGC, and this 'static sticker' was on the top of the stack. Not quite sure how I feel about this.
I've had that too, along with Heritage auctions. It seems the more "valuable/desirable" cards get the Heritage, whereas the others get Probstein. I mean it shouldn't really affect you, Probstein pays to have SGC do that, and if it bothers you, peel it off and throw it away. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's a little advertising sticker that doesn't affect the card...

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 09-21-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Actually very neat marketing concept...nicely done by probstein...and smart for SGC, too!
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:22 PM

I'd rather have a coupon for a Giant Chocolate Fudge ice cream bar.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...2539604.column

Apparently, Anthem Blue Cross of California seems to think that ice cream coupons are a great way to help their subscribers stay healthy.

As it relates to the static sticker, if you get something from one company, it invariably will have a tie in to some other company. At least SGC is keeping it within the realm of reality.

Sheesh! Sorry to vent in your thread, but it just reminded me of today's article.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Robert Williams

Actually, I had that little 'sticker' leave a weird residue behind on a card that was impossible to remove. Interesting thread about it across the street.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

I know it's a marketing technique/revenue stream and ultimately benefits both companies... There's always been inserts, but I paused when there was something stuck to my slab.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Jason Wells

It seems like them should just insert a index card with the companies information similar to how Sterling did with your package.I would just rip that sticker off and trash it,a card might not be immediately discarded.I guess the sticker is more cost effective.

Last edited by Jason; 09-21-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

WHAT that looks like a farce!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 PM

I had a Memory Lane sticker on a new PSA holder.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

It's only cool if it's a static cling (which leaves no residue)...anything sticky...obviously not cool....
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

It was a static cling piece that didn't leave any marks
Old 09-21-2012, 11:45 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Not a huge fan….as a third party grader I would think they would want to be as impartial as they can.

Sure it’s great for Probstein but what message does that send other customers and auction companies that use SGC?

Then you open up the Pandora’s box of other folks wanting their name and mug on cards….before you know it you’re spending more quality control on equal distribution of stickers into pack ups amongst your advertisers. Making sure sticker A doesn't end up at company B etc.

For me I want two things when I send cards to a TPG. Quality grading and attention to detail. I may be silly but even the one second the person takes to remember the advertiser sticker when packing up my junk. Is one second of attention he’s not giving my submission.

Not to mention do you really want your company associated in any way with an outside source you don’t control? Then there is the sure to come the voices saying “hmmm boy that Rick sure gets some good grades….I’m sure it has nothing to do with the advertising cash and stickers.”

I can’t imagine the extra cash from an outside source is worth the above but who knows perhaps it’s a huge win.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 09-21-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Not a huge fan….as a third party grader I would think they would want to be as impartial as they can.

Sure it’s great for Probstein but what message does that send other customers and auction companies that use SGC?

Then you open up the Pandora’s box of other folks wanting their name and mug on cards….before you know it you’re spending more quality control on equal distribution of stickers into pack ups amongst your advertisers. Making sure sticker A doesn't end up at company B etc.

For me I want two things when I send cards to a TPG. Quality grading and attention to detail. I may be silly but even the one second the person takes to remember the advertiser sticker when packing up my junk. Is one second of attention he’s not giving my submission.

Not to mention do you really want your company associated in any way with an outside source you don’t control? Then there is the sure to come the voices saying “hmmm boy that Rick sure gets some good grades….I’m sure it has nothing to do with the advertising cash and stickers.”

I can’t imagine the extra cash from an outside source is worth the above but who knows perhaps it’s a huge win.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

John

I agree.
To me it is saying that the company is having financial problems and is looking for ways of bringing in more money. They are doing it the wrong way though. I see lots of problems with this direction they are going.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Jason Stricker

I got my SGC submission back a couple of days ago and had the same sticker. I was familar with the sticker and I've bought cards from that vendor and the sticker came on the cards. But having it on a TPG rubbed me the wrong way.

On a side note, SGC is getting very sloppy these days! The last two submissions came back with inserts that weren't custom cut or poorly cut, scratches on the case and fingerprints/residue inside of the case. Come on SGC! Don't turn into PSA, please!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
On a side note, SGC is getting very sloppy these days! The last two submissions came back with inserts that weren't custom cut or poorly cut, scratches on the case and fingerprints/residue inside of the case. Come on SGC! Don't turn into PSA, please!
This is the only part of this that would bother me - getting that sticker on and us taking it off exposes the case to extra handling/scratching. Now, it is a protective case, which is supposed to get dinged up to protect the card inside, but I like to scan mine as soon as I get them so I have scratch free scans.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:47 AM

I don't think it's financial problems, I think it's a mutually beneficial advertising relationship. Who is to tell someone not to advertise with who they wish? It's a free market. I believe PSA does the same thing.

Last edited by Sean1125; 09-22-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
I don't think it's financial problems, I think it's a mutually beneficial advertising relationship. Who is to tell someone not to advertise with who they wish? It's a free market. I believe PSA does the same thing.
Yes they do, they have Heritage
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
I agree. I think it's smart on SGC and Probstein's part. Doesn't bother me at all. I expect great grading and service from SGC and take each card on it's own merit. No way in heck do I think Rick will get preferential grading by doing it either. Kudos to both of them. If anyone doesn't like then there are other choices or they can start their own grading company.