NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2023, 11:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
That is essentially (minus the grinding up perhaps) how this and the other collectibles hobbies will die. The question is whether, in the case of baseball cards, that quality of 3D printing and exact chemical replication of the constituent materials is still a few months away or a few decades away. I'm risk tolerant enough that I'm still buying, but I don't delude myself into thinking that this couldn't happen in my lifetime.
When it does, hopefully cards that were graded previously will retain their value as one could be relatively confident in them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
When it does, hopefully cards that were graded previously will retain their value as one could be relatively confident in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
That is essentially (minus the grinding up perhaps) how this and the other collectibles hobbies will die. The question is whether, in the case of baseball cards, that quality of 3D printing and exact chemical replication of the constituent materials is still a few months away or a few decades away. I'm risk tolerant enough that I'm still buying, but I don't delude myself into thinking that this couldn't happen in my lifetime.
I wouldn't necessarily say that either projection is accurate. The art world has had its share of forgery scandals. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix about a master forger in NY who fooled everyone for years. The solution is provenance. If you can trace a card's ownership chain back before the years when counterfeiting was technically feasible, then you have something that may be valuable. What we need is a new kind of registry, something like a catalogue raisonné (a comprehensive, annotated listing of all the known works of an artist either in a particular medium or all media) for high profile vintage cards. If I have a T206 Wagner that I got in 1977 and have had all that time, I could register it with a high-def scan. If/when I sell it, I could notify the catalog of the transfer and the chain of title would be clean. if I consigned it to REA, it would show the auction sale and the new owner would be registered. You could even assign fictitious names to the owners with the actual owners' names kept private.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that either projection is accurate. The art world has had its share of forgery scandals. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix about a master forger in NY who fooled everyone for years. The solution is provenance. If you can trace a card's ownership chain back before the years when counterfeiting was technically feasible, then you have something that may be valuable. What we need is a new kind of registry, something like a catalogue raisonné (a comprehensive, annotated listing of all the known works of an artist either in a particular medium or all media) for high profile vintage cards. If I have a T206 Wagner that I got in 1977 and have had all that time, I could register it with a high-def scan. If/when I sell it, I could notify the catalog of the transfer and the chain of title would be clean. if I consigned it to REA, it would show the auction sale and the new owner would be registered. You could even assign fictitious names to the owners with the actual owners' names kept private.
I think many of us who want to avoid altered cards have been doing exactly as you suggest--which is to look in VCP or other online resources to look and see who first sold the card we are interested in buying. It is not a perfect process but it does reduce the risk. Again this requires that the collector doing this has a detailed history of the bad apples in the hobby to make that research as accurate as possible.