NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Default 1910 Tip Top Bread Pirates

Does anyone know whether there are any known counterfeits of these cards? I have been scouring the Web, but so far have not found any references to them. I am very much hoping that the answer is no, but please feel free to break my bubble.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Yes....

Yes, unfortunately in today's technologically advanced print world there are fakes and reprints of every single card that has been seen on the web. If there isn't one now, just wait a minute, there will be. That was a bit sarcastic but the answer is an easy "yes". Welcome to Net54baseball.com too!!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:06 AM

Default 1910 tip top bread pirates

TO LACARDGUY,

WHAT'S YOUR INTEREST IN THIS SET. I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING THEM FOR 17 YEARS, I HAVE SEEN MANY, MANY TIP TOPS BUT NEVER COME ACROSS AND FAKES, BUT AS LEON POINTED OUT THERE ARE REPRINTS! EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS! rgprgp8618@comcast.net

http://imageevent.com/rgprgp8618/1910tiptopbread
Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default differences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTopBread View Post
TO LACARDGUY,

WHAT'S YOUR INTEREST IN THIS SET. I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING THEM FOR 17 YEARS, I HAVE SEEN MANY, MANY TIP TOPS BUT NEVER COME ACROSS AND FAKES, BUT AS LEON POINTED OUT THERE ARE REPRINTS! EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS! rgprgp8618@comcast.net

http://imageevent.com/rgprgp8618/1910tiptopbread
First of all TipTopBread....do us all a favor and hit your "caps" key to turn off all caps, pretty please. Secondly, I usually put fakes/reprints/copies in the same category of being "not" real. However, there are certainly some reprinted series (think Fritsch) that aren't homemade fakes but they still aren't real, vintage cards. I was trying to let the original poster know that anything seen on the web has probably been faked (reprinted) or whatever you want to call it. I got one, unfortunately, in the mail yesterday. I knew within a heartbeat it was fake and have already arranged a return on it. It happens.....
Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Tip Top Bread Pirates

Sorry for all the "Caps", won't happen again. I was just trying to put my 2 cents worth of collecting this set, into the mix of comments. Obviously, your comments are more accurate, with all your experience. But I just love this set so much, and have so much time & $ involved, that I had to comment.
Ray Pasternak
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Default thanks for replies... more...

i bought a small group of off condition cards including a 33 Goudey Ott with writing on back, 2 Cracker Jack commons and a... wait for it... Wagner. I am waiting for them to arrive. I know what to look for under 100x once I get it, but am sitting here sweating bullets.

the reprint that you just received: was it printed in period litho or modern printing and easy to ID?

Last edited by LACardsGuy; 09-04-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default responses....

Hey Tiptop guy,
No worries on the caps lock key. You can see the difference . Input is always appreciated and I don't discount anyone's comments, regardless of time in the hobby. By many accounts I am a novice too (around 15 yrs). I would say though, that being in the hobby WITH the internet for 15 yrs, probably gives the experience of a collector with a few more years under their belt. As for my comments being more accurate, I am only giving my experiences. Others' (how 'bout those apostrophes, Barry?) experiences might be different.

LACardsGuy- Be prepared for a bit of a bummer. Only a very small percentage of these situations turn out with a happy ending (returns are most common). Again, just my experience. Best of luck and keep us updated. If it is a real "find" then you did mighty good!!

The reprint I just got didn't have the measurements it should have had and the paperstock was all wrong. regards
Old 09-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Leon - emailed you with a few questions. It should arrive today.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Barry Sloate

others'=

others=
Old 09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Barry

I need the book on apostrophes.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Default Cards arrived...

6 fakes. Bad ones at that. I thought at least the commons would be legit.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 PM

I think others' is correct.

Mark
Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Val Kehl

I agree with Mark. Leon used "others'" in a possessive form.
Val
Old 09-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks guys, I stand corrected. I'm at the stage of my life where I am forgetting things I once knew. That's not good.