NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds
ooooooh that wagner!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy
Truth! The things I am privileged enough to see on this site!
You guys are too nice, thanks for the kudos!

Having put together 520 T206 in 2007 & 516 T206 ten years later this year, I definitely go through long periods of T206 exhaustion. But, what happens is usually I go on a dalliance with a different set -- like 33 Goudey -- or period -- like 1950s Topps and Bowman, until the T206s start to call my name again. It's pretty weird, but I just try to follow my gut. Because if you're collecting cards because you "have to" or just to tic a box on a checklist, then you've lost the plot. Not to be overly philosophical about it -- I obsess over baseball cards, sorry -- but the collecting journey comes from within us. I only get close to satisfied when I listen to that voice inside me, not the voice of the half empty box of cards telling me I have work to do.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
You guys are too nice, thanks for the kudos!

Having put together 520 T206 in 2007 & 516 T206 ten years later this year, I definitely go through long periods of T206 exhaustion. But, what happens is usually I go on a dalliance with a different set -- like 33 Goudey -- or period -- like 1950s Topps and Bowman, until the T206s start to call my name again. It's pretty weird, but I just try to follow my gut. Because if you're collecting cards because you "have to" or just to tic a box on a checklist, then you've lost the plot. Not to be overly philosophical about it -- I obsess over baseball cards, sorry -- but the collecting journey comes from within us. I only get close to satisfied when I listen to that voice inside me, not the voice of the half empty box of cards telling me I have work to do.
Absolutely no apology necessary. I also get really philosophical when it comes to baseball cards and their history. They aren't just cardboard to me either, they are history and art among other things. For example, one set I have come to be drawn to is the 1910 Obak set. My maternal grandmother was born that year. It fascinates me to have a ball card that old. I think about all of the card's owners, where it has traveled over the years, etc. Living in Arkansas, I sometimes wonder if the Obaks that I buy from sellers on the west coast have ever traveled this far east in their 107 years of existence? With these cards, I find myself actually going back and looking at them even after I have had them for a while. That hasn't always been the case. I have been a checklist guy, but I will not again for these and the reasons you laid out.

You have a great collection. I want to work on T205s, Obaks, etc. the way you have on T206.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 05-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The stories behind the cards are often fascinating. When privileged to find an original/new to the hobby collection it is very exciting. Here is a Fatima-like postcard I am always on the hunt for more specimens of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Absolutely no apology necessary. I also get really philosophical when it comes to baseball cards and their history. They aren't just cardboard to me either, they are history and art among other things. For example, one set I have come to be drawn to is the 1910 Obak set. My maternal grandmother was born that year. It fascinates me to have a ball card that old. I think about all of the card's owners, where it has traveled over the years, etc. Living in Arkansas, I sometimes wonder if the Obaks that I buy from sellers on the west coast have ever traveled this far east in their 107 years of existence? With these cards, I find myself actually going back and looking at them even after I have had them for a while. That hasn't always been the case. I have been a checklist guy, but I will not again for these and the reasons you laid out.

You have a great collection. I want to work on T205s, Obaks, etc. the way you have on T206.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptunc1911pinkertonbaker.jpg (73.1 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-16-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I prefer to think it's not so much that I don't have focus as that I don't have money, so I end up picking up things that I really like and then needing to sell them in order to get other things I really like.

If you asked me at any point in the past 15 years what I was working on I could have named a set or two, but I've always sold them off when something more special came along. I've made pretty good progress with N28, then T207, E95, R327, C46, T206 Polar Bears, and E126 -- but I didn't finish any of the sets or hold onto my partial sets for very long.

Sometimes I've made a little and sometimes I've lost a little when I sold them off, but it's generally been about a break-even proposition, so in practice whatever set I'm working on at any given time is likely to end up having served as a savings account toward a long-term addition to my collection (and it's the rare type cards that go into the long-term holdings). In the meantime, the set building gives me something to collect that shows up for sale more than once a year.