NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Default Photos of the Founding Collectors

Good morning, does anyone have a photo of the following collectors or know where I can find one?

Walter Corson
Bob Jasperson
Goodwin Goldfadden
John D. Wagner

I'm also looking for photos of Enos Gordon Goudey and Photographer Carl Horner. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 08-23-2017, 09:43 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Good morning, does anyone have a photo of the following collectors or know where I can find one?

Walter Corson
Bob Jasperson
Goodwin Goldfadden
John D. Wagner

I'm also looking for photos of Enos Gordon Goudey and Photographer Carl Horner. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Here's John D. Wagner in the early 1980s:

Goodwin Golfaden in 2010:

Bob Jaspersen with son Mike in 1967:

And in 1972 with Jeff Morey, Waite Hoyt, and Pat Quinn:

I don't have a picture of Walter Corson, but I wrote a long post about him:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=232220
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

I would have bet everything I own that David would be the one to answer this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Jeff Lowe

Default I have a picture of Walter Corson

Will have to do some digging though ..
Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

David, you're an excellent researcher, and Jeff, I look forward to seeing a photo of Walt when you have the chance! Thanks for this. I've been trying to put faces with the names of our founding fathers of the hobby and the owners who started companies that issued cards...a daunting task.

I had a photo of Carl Horner from an auction catalog, but I cant remember the catalog name and lost the photo. The Boston Public Library claims they don't have a photo, but he's such a prominent photographer at the time, I find it hard to believe.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Archive

Carl Horner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horner.jpg (77.4 KB, 690 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 PM
David Kathman

Actually, its serendipity more than anything that I was the first to respond. I'm in London right now, and when I saw this post I was in the London Metropolitan Archives, near the end of a day of research. I had some time, and I knew I had some of those pictures in posts I've made here, or in George Vrechek's articles, so I took 10 minutes and put together a reply. I was going to say that Jeffrompa probably had a picture of Walter Corson, who was best friends with Jeff's dad, but I didn't want to be presumptuous. I guess I needn't have worried.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would have bet everything I own that David would be the one to answer this.
That's why I didn't take your bet.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Default Harold C. DeLong artwork

So I was going to save this as a surprise for all my fellow members here, but I have a request for it. I was able to do a portrait of Harvard alum, class of 1904 Harold C. DeLong. Harvard is not too keen on allowing the original photo to be made public, so the only thing original is Mr. DeLong's head, everything else I came up with out of the thin air of history. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HC Delong.jpg (51.8 KB, 594 views)
Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Carl Horner
Tilly was a cutie!
Old 08-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Bobby Binder

I spent many hours on Saturdays in Goodie's store on Santa Monica Blvd near Fairfax as a kid. You walk in the front and it was very narrow entrance and there was a desk. You would tell him what player you wanted and he would go in the back and a few minutes later come back with a stack of cards constrained with a rubber band. He also did that thumb thing with them on the corner. He did not care very much about condition.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:23 PM

I lived within walking distance of Goodwin's shop. Most times you needed to call ahead to let him know you were coming. The front part of the store was shelves and tables piled high with magazines, books, boxes of assorted cards, etc. If you asked for a little known player in an obscure set, he walked into the back room and come out with 10 of the cards you just asked about.

I too would cringe when he did the thumb-flip through a stack of cards in order to find one.

Goody may or may not have had the first card store. I just feel fortunate that, in retrospect, I had the opportunity to meet him and do some trades with him. He is part of the hobby's heritage.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
I lived within walking distance of Goodwin's shop. Most times you needed to call ahead to let him know you were coming. The front part of the store was shelves and tables piled high with magazines, books, boxes of assorted cards, etc. If you asked for a little known player in an obscure set, he walked into the back room and come out with 10 of the cards you just asked about.

I too would cringe when he did the thumb-flip through a stack of cards in order to find one.

Goody may or may not have had the first card store. I just feel fortunate that, in retrospect, I had the opportunity to meet him and do some trades with him. He is part of the hobby's heritage.
I love to hear and research stories from the hobbies dawning. Thanks and thanks to the others for sharing stories.

Last edited by Leon; 08-27-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:27 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I also knew Goodwin (never had the guts to call him Goodie, like his wives (2, but serially ) . Yes, that store was floor-to-ceiling with books and periodicals of all sorts. In my teens I was already somewhat steeped in prewar...public library, imagine that! (Goodwin also had rented garages packed to the hilt in the surrounding neighborhood of his store). So I would ask for the more "known" players, but eventually he began to bring out others and talk to me a little bit about them. He cared nothing about tobacco backs (neither did I, then, jiust thought they looked "neat") and it ended up - decades later after I re-entered the hobby about a decade ago - that he had shoved upon me a really nice T206 Duffy Red Hindu; graded highest ever for any TPG and sold a few years back with B&L.

Now, eventually he moved his residence about a 2-minute bike ride from my own house in the San Fernando Valley! One summer (this is late Sixties) I spent about a month there sorting postwar (not vintage then)). At one point I came across The '52T Mick. I already it knew what they were going for (mid-upper $30s) and couldn't pull the trigger on it!

Later on in the Seventies when I had moved to SF he called my Mom and asked for my address. Was nice to get a letter from him. He was always a prolific correspondent due to his business. He reported that he had sold everything he had in his inventory to the University of Notre Dame which at that time gave them the largest sports library anywhere. Maybe still does. I don't know about the Library of Congress.

Last edited by Paul S; 08-27-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:20 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

This is good stuff! Thanks for sharing, there's nothing like getting a face with the name and learning how these men shaped our hobby. There are a few others I added to my list and there may be a few more that I've forgotten:

Wirt Gammon
Edward Golden
Howard "Slim" Leheup
Sam Rosen
Jake Wise

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:05 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
This is good stuff! Thanks for sharing, there's nothing like getting a face with the name and learning how these men shaped our hobby. There are a few others I added to my list and there may be a few more that I've forgotten:

Wirt Gammon
Edward Golden
Howard "Slim" Leheup
Sam Rosen
Jake Wise

Thanks.
Wirt Gammon's picture sometimes appeared above his column in The Ballcard Collector in the early '70s, if there was room. The only one I can find online from work is this one, but I can look at the originals when I get home tonight and see if I can find another one. I've posted a lot of Gammon's writings going back to 1945, but most of them don't have his picture. I've been meaning to do a post about him at some point.

I don't know that I have pictures of any of the others, but in this thread I posted Lionel Carter's obituaries of Howard Leheup and Jake Wise, plus an article by Jake Wise from The Ballcard Collector:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221758

And my post on card dealers of the 1950s had some stuff on Sam Rosen, including some of his price lists:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233137

I'll see if I can dig up pictures of any of these guys when I get home and have a few minutes.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Fred

What, no Mr. Mint photos? Sorry, nothing here to read... just keep moving on...
Old 08-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Hehe, I snapped a photo and an autograph from Mr. Mint in November shortly before he got called up to the Field of Dreams.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I asked the Hall of Fame if they could help me secure a photo of Walt Corson, and they said I have to make an appointment first. I don't live in New York and gave them info from his letters. Didn't help much apparently. I also found into from one of the Arizona papers that the Arizona State League was formed prior to 1926. Every site I've got to says it was started in 1928 -clearly this is not the case. Corson and the Arizona State League are fascinating to me. I cant believe there isn't a photo? A Yankee spring training photo from 1926 or 1934?