NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default BST Pricing and Folly Warning

For those that want to play games on the BST with prices, because of recent issues, your BST privileges will be suspended if I get wind of it. A longtime member now has his BST privileges suspended because of it. Please let me know of any issues over there and they will be dealt with quickly and professionally. If anyone else want to play games no worries, have at it......thanks all....

Last edited by Leon; 09-27-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 AM
J!m Be@m

What are we suppose to be on the look-out for? Is there more than posting "sold" prices on B/S/T?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Horsehide View Post
What are we suppose to be on the look-out for? Is there more than posting "sold" prices on B/S/T?
If anyone manipulates the forum in a poor manner it is not going to fly. Posting fake sold prices is such manipulation, imo. To me, it hurts the forum when things like that happen.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:30 AM
J!m Be@m

Agree - Thanks.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:42 AM
T0dd M@rcum

You know I used to get a lot of stuff off BST and always looked forward to checking out what others had to offer. Over the past few months, I have found more and more items priced at retail and generally uninspiring. The bumps of things that have been there for months reminds me of a BIN museums on eBay. Maybe I'm just in an interest slump, but the pickins have sure seemed slim.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
You know I used to get a lot of stuff off BST and always looked forward to checking out what others had to offer. Over the past few months, I have found more and more items priced at retail and generally uninspiring. The bumps of things that have been there for months reminds me of a BIN museums on eBay. Maybe I'm just in an interest slump, but the pickins have sure seemed slim.
As someone who buys most items from the BST section I have noticed there seems to be less listings also.

I do get a good laugh from the member that acted like he knew nothing. Then instantly stating posting listings that rival an auction houses in their description.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
As someone who buys most items from the BST section I have noticed there seems to be less listings also.

I do get a good laugh from the member that acted like he knew nothing. Then instantly stating posting listings that rival an auction houses in their description.
It's called learning Ben. I have a above average IQ and catch on to things very very fast in you haven't learned by now. PLUS there have been a few members here that I consider good friends now that help me a lot with all types of stuff. Some good people... Some haters... but so goes life.

P.S I have been on here for over a year and a half now.. Imagine what one can learn by reading thread after thread after thread as well as asking the right questions to the right people. There is no substitute for hard work and being hands on.

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 09-27-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
It's called learning Ben. I have a above average IQ and catch on to things very very fast in you haven't learned by now. PLUS there have been a few members here that I consider good friends now that help me a lot with all types of stuff. Some good people... Some haters... but so goes life.
I have "an" above average iq would be correct!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

"an"

Sorry I do not go back and check for spelling errors in 2017 when HBU = How bout you, LMAO = laughing my ass off , and TTYL = Talk to you later....
Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Dave

I have an "average" IQ. I like to think I'm doing my part in helping other smarter folks, beat the curve.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

When Reggie Jackson bragged about having an IQ of 160, Mickey Rivers delivered his famous retort: “Out of what? A thousand? You can’t even spell IQ.”
Old 09-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

My favorite is when someone (no names) who tries to poke fun a lot and is knowledgeable makes a trade with me and the card I receive is "altered stock" from Psa when submitted. While the majority of people on here kick ass, there are some real "winners" as well
Old 09-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
My favorite is when someone (no names) who tries to poke fun a lot and is knowledgeable makes a trade with me and the card I receive is "altered stock" from Psa when submitted. While the majority of people on here kick ass, there are some real "winners" as well
Altered stock usually means it has been pressed or stored in a screw down. If it is a high end card you should at least send them a PM or if you feel the necessity out the person. Selling/trading bad cards without disclosing the problem is never a good thing.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
When Reggie Jackson bragged about having an IQ of 160, Mickey Rivers delivered his famous retort: “Out of what? A thousand? You can’t even spell IQ.”
Almost as good as Hollywood Henderson saying of Bradshaw he couldn't spell cat if they spotted him the c and the a.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Almost as good as Hollywood Henderson saying of Bradshaw he couldn't spell cat if they spotted him the c and the a.
Probably still can't.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

But "interference" from 3rd parties, not involved in the sale still flies.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
But "interference" from 3rd parties, not involved in the sale still flies.
Yes, per the longstanding rules. If the comment is intended in good spirits and doesn't negatively impact the sale. I doubt anyone wants a stale place?
Let's don't make a big deal of it and continue the way it's gone for years. Nothing has changed. Just read the rules and post here if there is something you don't understand and I will be glad to clarify. Overall, it is the intent of one's post that is going to be the issue. If someone games the system it will be dealt with as it always has been. Not sure what else can be said really.

Last edited by Leon; 09-27-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:30 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Leon, I know you're trying to be diplomatic and are keeping your cards close to the vest, but can you give us a little more information on what's going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:58 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Leon, I know you're trying to be diplomatic and are keeping your cards close to the vest, but can you give us a little more information on what's going on here?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245369
Old 09-27-2017, 06:08 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

You guys could form a chapter of Mensa, except most of you wold have to pair up.

Line from a sit com
Old 09-27-2017, 06:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I've been a member for over 10 years now and I think the biggest change with our bst is that it has become more of a resource for sellers that don't contribute to the main forum(unless defending themselves to an issue). Less likely to be a skeezer on bst when you're an active part of the community?
Old 09-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
You guys could form a chapter of Mensa, except most of you wold have to pair up.Line from a sit com

We wold, wold we? LOL

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-27-2017, 10:25 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
We wold, wold we? LOL

I'd be part of a threesome

P.s. keep your minds out of the gutter

Last edited by drcy; 09-27-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Love it, Steve. Reggie was a great player, but if his IQ was 160, his ego was in another universe. He did have a great gift of making fans invisible, however. I was in the lobby of the hotel the veteran players were staying at during the 1999 All-Star Game festivities in Boston and encountered Jackson. Since I quite fondly remembered his first half performance during the 1969 season (37 HR's at the all-star game break, through about 94 games), I rather ignorantly but very politely asked for his autograph. He instantly rendered me invisible and altogether "not there." The great ones don't have to even acknowledge the presence of or converse with mere mortals, I guess.

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 09-28-2017, 03:39 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Love it, Steve. Reggie was a great player, but if his IQ was 160, his ego was in another universe. He did have a great gift of making fans invisible, however. I was in the lobby of the hotel the veteran players were staying at during the 1999 All-Star Game festivities in Boston and encountered Jackson. Since I quite fondly remembered his first half performance during the 1969 season (37 HR's at the all-star game break, through about 94 games), I rather ignorantly but very politely asked for his autograph. He instantly rendered me invisible and altogether "not there." The great ones don't have to even acknowledge the presence of or converse with mere mortals, I guess.

Highest regards,

Larry
My brother had a girlfriend that wanted to go on a double date with her friend and the girls new boyfriend. They picked up the girl, then went to pick up the new boyfriend. Yep, the new boyfriend was Reggie. He said they shook hands, left for dinner, and said very little over dinner. Unusual, because my brother does a lot with MLB, he has travelled all over the world promoting MLB in different countries, you would think they would have enough in common to carry a conversation. A few years later my brother was sitting at Angel stadium during a practice, and Reggie was a couple seats away. He said hi to my brother, asked if he was still dating the girl, and nothing else. He remembered the night, but just isn't very conversational, apparently. I guess everyone is wired differently.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Dave Foster

Only one encounter and memory - THANKFULLY! - of this boor, but it was / is lasting. It was maybe 30 years ago at the SF Labor Day show at the Moscone. The aisles were packed. I had the misfortune of being in the same aisle that Reggie and his cadre of muscle goons were on. They essentially bulldozed and elbowed everybody not behind a table, out of the way so the precious Mr. Jackson could pass unimpeded. Never cared for the guy before, have cared for him even less since. Helluva ballplayer, but as a human being . . . meh!
Old 09-29-2017, 12:43 PM
Glyn Parson

Default I met Reggie

I met Reggie at an Alan Rosen show at Madison Square Garden. He bought a couple Reggie rookies from me. It was the first time I ever set up in New York and I remember the show vividly. Reggie was very nIce and respectful in negotiations and even conversed in some small talk. I was 18 at the time and he thought it was cool I was running my own business selling. Vintage baseball cards with my parents helping me out.

Last edited by glynparson; 09-29-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For the record, back to topic, as a firm believer in the punishment should fit the crime, I believe our longtime member was suspended from the BST for +/- 1 hour. Now get out there and get back at it kids!! ...Does anyone else remember getting run out of the house in the mornings (in the summer) and then getting let back in later on in the afternoon (or to eat)? Playing sandlot ball and riding bikes with the other kids were the days activities. Seems like just yesterday...well, not really. It's seems like a long freaking time ago but that doesn't fit the narrative as well. Here is an rppc of some kids in uniforms...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg france.jpg (77.5 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by Leon; 09-29-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:27 PM
Sean Costello

No, my punishment was different. I was kept in the house when I was "being bad." Getting let out was a good thing. That doesn't really apply to the BST situation.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
No, my punishment was different. I was kept in the house when I was "being bad." Getting let out was a good thing. That doesn't really apply to the BST situation.
I must have miscommunicated above. Getting ran out of the house, as a kid when growing up, was a good thing for us too. And if we were being punished we couldn't go out to play....that was unusual except on Sundays but that is another story.

Last edited by Leon; 09-29-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I must have miscommunicated above. Getting ran out of the house, as a kid when growing up, was a good thing for us too. And if we were being punished we couldn't go out to play....that was unusual except on Sundays but that is another story.
Okay, now we're on the same page.