NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default National Baltimore - Hotel recommendations

With the National in Baltimore again this coming year, was curious where everyone was planning to stay or recommendations/places to avoid. In 2010 we stayed at the Days Inn but did not want to stay there again. Also, when do you generally make reservations?

DJ
Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 AM

DJ,

Here are the hotels within walking distance of the convention center.

http://www.conferencehousing.com/TheNational/Baltimore/

The Hilton is connected to the convention center and most of the others are a short walk. A lot of collectors stay at a less expensive hotel outside the city and take the light rail or metro to the convention center.

See you in Baltimore !!!

Alan
Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Jeff

Stayed at The Hilton that Alan mentioned in 2010. Aside from someone being shot on our floor the first night - everything was great.

It is nice and convenient and right across the street from the ballpark.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
It is nice and convenient and right across the street from the ballpark.
Unfortunately I don't think the O's are in town the week of the convention

Poor planning IMO cuz that was a highlight to take the family to the game
Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Unfortunately I don't think the O's are in town the week of the convention

Poor planning IMO cuz that was a highlight to take the family to the game
That sucks, I hadn't even bothered to look at the schedule yet. Yes, that is poor planning.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Don Hontz

Default National Hotels Baltimore 2012

I stayed at the Days Inn a block away last year $119 per night plus $22 parking per night---not a bad hotel there are many close by---this year I am staying at Sheraton next door to convention $149 per parking $5 per night---too bad the Orioles are not in town--the national was offered this date and couldnt refuse or it would have been a few more years until it came back---see u in August Don Hontz
Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Daryl

We stayed at Embassy and took the light rail.

1) Cheaper rate
2) Suite, which is like 2 rooms for the price of 1
3) Free breakfast buffet with omelets

... what is this you say about no O's game that weekend?!?!?!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Steven

Default Poor planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
... what is this you say about no O's game that weekend?!?!?!
The O's travel to NNY on MOnday 7/30/12 thri 8/1, have 8/2 and play a 3-game set at TB 8/2, 8/4 and 8/5 before returning home to open a series against seattle monday 8/6/12...after we've all left.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule...timore-orioles
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 PM

Not having the Orioles in town is not only very poor planning but a joke. I have been advocating for years having the National in NYC but all I keep hearing is that it is too expensive. Then if you are going to have it in Cleveland or Baltimore at least schedule it when the baseball team is in town.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Yeah, the O's can use any attendance help they can get...poor planning. Saw them against the Halos the last time it was in Baltimore, great game. Pretty much had our pick of seats, too.

Mark
Old 12-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
Not having the Orioles in town is not only very poor planning but a joke. I have been advocating for years having the National in NYC but all I keep hearing is that it is too expensive. Then if you are going to have it in Cleveland or Baltimore at least schedule it when the baseball team is in town.
The Nats are home in DC I believe; the date for National was picked in advance of the AL scheduling so luck of the draw I guess!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: National Baltimore - Hotel recommendations

The venues require that the dates for the conventions be established well in advance of the baseball schedule. There's no way the committee can take the MLB schedule into account.

Quote:
I have been advocating for years having the National in NYC but all I keep hearing is that it is too expensive.
I have heard some of the numbers associated with a New York City National. As I understand it, union requirements would triple or quadruple the price of a booth even before you factor parking and lodging, etc. into the equation. You'd have about a dozen dealers who could afford to set up. There is virtually zero chance of a National in the Big Apple.

Last edited by edhans; 12-31-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Bruce Babcock

I, too, stayed at the Hilton in 2010, checking in the day after the guy got shot in the hotel. It was fine but the proximity to the ballpark, while a big plus, is moot for 2012.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Danny Smith

Phils and the fish are in town vs the nats. Quick train ride fom balt on the marc train to union station in dc and easy metro ride to nats park. Or its a 30 min drive to dc (if you miss rush hour). Nats park is pretty awesome.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Matt

Default Days Inn?

Guys...........Myself and a couple buddies are getting ready to make reservations and are wondering if anyone else has any comments on the Days Inn that's a block from the show. It seems to be the most cost effective lodging within walking distance. Also, how do most people get from the airport to downtown without a car? ...Shuttle bus? Taxi? Hitchhike? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 AM
BJ Cunningham

You can take the light rail from the airport or a taxi. I'd advise against hitch-hiking.