NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2017, 03:59 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Default A shot in the dark...

Back in the 80's, when I was a kid just getting into collecting, I remember my dad had a subscription to a price guide. It was a very simple publication printed on low quality paper that I believe was published monthly. Heck, it may have even been called Baseball Card Prices Monthly, or something along those lines. I don't remember much about it other than the last "issue" amounted to a rambling letter to the subscribers.

Does anyone remember such a guide, or even have a scan of that last letter? I'm mostly interested for nostalgia's sake.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:04 PM

CPU--- Card Prices Update?
Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guide - Card Prices Update Jun 1983.jpg (59.0 KB, 604 views)
Old 09-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Paul

Default Ccp

Current Card Prices was all the rage in 1987 in suburban New York. It was printed on newspaper stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2962.jpg (72.2 KB, 548 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 09-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Joshua Van Pelt

I still have all of mine. They are still fun to flip through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Current Card Prices was all the rage in 1987 in suburban New York. It was printed on newspaper stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
That's the one I remember using in Northeast Pa. Very aggressive pricing from what I remember!!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:08 PM

Even the very early issues of Beckett (called "Beckett Monthly") were fairly low budget (printed on stock similar to newspaper). Baseball Card magazine was another classic during that time period, but that was like a real magazine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB2.jpg (49.0 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg BB1.jpg (40.3 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpg 1981-Autumn_BBCM.jpg (79.4 KB, 467 views)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 PM
David Kathman

Besides Card Prices Update and Current Card Prices, the third monthly price guide that was around back then was Card Values Review. I'm not sure which one the OP is thinking of, because that would depend on when that last issue with the rambling letter to subscribers was. Just based on what the OP wrote, the most plausible candidate is CPU, which had the largest circulation of the three. It was forced out of business in the summer of 1984 after publisher Mark Lewis lost his longtime legal battle with Jim Beckett and Dennis Eckes, who had sued him for plagiarizing their annual price guide. I have the June 1984 issue of CPU, but not the July 1984 issue, which I think was the last one. (The court's injunction against Lewis was on July 12.) CCP, on the other hand, continued into the early 90s and then kind of petered out. I'm not sure how long CVR lasted, except that it was still around in early 1984.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:02 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
That's the one! I remember that cover pattern. I didn't remember it having such a limited year range. Anyone happen to have a scan of the "final issue", which if I remember right, was just a single sheet of paper with a letter to subscribers.

Last edited by Batpig; 09-29-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:06 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
That's the one! I remember that cover pattern. I didn't remember it having such a limited year range. Anyone happen to have a scan of the "final issue", which if I remember right, was just a single sheet of paper with a letter to subscribers.
The latest issue of CCP that I have is November 1991, and it's a regular one. Would the "final issue" you're describing have been after that?
Old 09-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Ne@l K

When the CPU arrived, we had neighborhood trading sessions - good times!

I bought a few off eBay several years ago and it brought back a ton of memories.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
The latest issue of CCP that I have is November 1991, and it's a regular one. Would the "final issue" you're describing have been after that?
Maybe it wasn't the last issue then. It could be my dad just cancelled after the "issue" I'm remembering. If I remember correctly, it was a long, poorly written, rambling, conspiracy laced letter to subscribers.

At any rate, thanks for refreshing my memory on the name of the magazine.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Maybe it wasn't the last issue then. It could be my dad just cancelled after the "issue" I'm remembering. If I remember correctly, it was a long, poorly written, rambling, conspiracy laced letter to subscribers.

I can imagine a few auction house curmudgeons in the hobby doing that. Not that I would know of any or anything.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
That's awesome. Gosh, it's almost hard to imagine a time when a printed book would actually have a price associated with a 1989 Donruss Andre Dawson.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:

You do remember that correctly. We tossed that away at Beckett when we received our copy but it was very sad to see. I'd love to see another copy of that missive again.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:

That is hilarious!! A conspiracy laced letter to subscribers. Ha ha ha!!!! Man, I hope someone posts a pic of it.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.