NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default The Power of This Forum

Posted By: Paul Stratton

After reading through the thread regarding top 5 hottest sets it has me wondering how much influence this board has on prices and availability. Does anyone see a correlation between topics on this board and prices(both up and down) on ebay? ...or a correlation between topics on this board and what gets put up for auction and what doesn't at any given time?

Thanks, Paul

Old 06-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I have noted a correlation between statements made in this forum and results in specific ebay auctions, however, I do not see any impact on hobby trends attributable to comments offered here.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I think this forum has great power so...

My top 5 hottest card sets (buy a lot of these):
1990 Topps (beautiful colored set)
1972 Topps (see above)
1983 Fleer (great set, grey borders really set off the great photography)
1940 Playball (wonderful action shots and black and white nostalgia)
1972 Laughlin (beautifully illustrated cartoons)

My top 5 coldest sets (sell them cheap, they are bad!)
1911 T205 (colors are off and backs are cluttered by bios and statistics)
1909 Obaks (most are rough condition and bad cuts, avoid at all costs)
1949 Sealtest and Lummis Phillies (ugly sepia large cards with sticker backs)
1887-1889 N172 Old Judges (horrible brown or even pink pictures that you can barely see--players you never heard of too clutter up this too large set)
1933-35 Diamond Stars (not even real pictures! ugly bright colors and backs are cluttered with stuff--avoid)

Joshua

Old 06-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian E.

I think this forum has a great deal of effect on the pre-war market. Occassionally you'll see a thread dealing with a specific card or cards only to see those cards on Ebay a short while later; A subtle means of sensitizing/hyping the market.

Brian E.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

Well I posted a certain item on the board that I recently attained and one week later a lesser grade specimen went for $100 more than I got mine for...I'm not sure who won it, but the underbidder was a N54 member.

Either I lucked out and got a great deal or I brought attention to a somewhat obscure item that piqued others interest in it. Who knows? But I do think the Vintage community is "small" enough and N54 is "Big" enough to definitely influence prices. There's a reason why very few of the N172 folks will give out any information.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray

In response to J Levine's post above I'd have to say the 1980 Laughlin set is much better. Granted, the 72 Laughlin is full of "Great Feats," and is older and harder to come by, but the 80 Laughlin is FAMOUS feats. Most people, I think, prefer watching and hearing about Famous feats than just Great ones, therefore choose the 80 set to collect instead. Just my humble opinion.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

We certainly have an impact on each other---whether it's giving up or not giving up on slabbing, deciding not to sell even given the great prices coming 'round on
some 206's, trying hard to find cards for folks nearing completion of sets,
sharing reflections on key sports issues like Bonds/steroids or the deaths of
key figures in vintage collecting, and sitting back in amazement that cards like the red border 210's that we knew were treasures (but few others thought so) are now downright pricey and coveted by many.
our impact beyond each other is also apparent but, for me, wanes in import
compared to the collegial impact.

best,

barry

Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...this Board because I collected T206 cards, but this Board has influenced my purchases of T206 cards, as well as sparked my foray into M116 cards and caramel issues.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I'd avoid D311s as they are ugly looking and no one likes them. Also T210s are plain looking and only contain obscure low minor league players. Finally caramel cards aren't nearly as good looking as T206s. I think everyone should buy as many T206s as humanly possible and avoid the aforementioned sets. Also, stock up on 1968 Topps cards. (tongue definitely in cheek)

Old 06-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

Joshua,

Couldn't you have left out the 1990 Topps? Now I'll never be able to get a Frank Thomas RC.(insert winking smiley face here)

...I'm guilty of bidding on stuff which I never knew about until I found this forum. I assume I'm not the only one. If this place didn't exist how much lower would prices be?

Old 06-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Ditto. This Forum has greatly increased my interest in pre-war issues and has opened my eyes to sets, types, etc. that I never would have otherwise discovered.

So thanks to everyone for helping me "see the light!"

Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

If there is any doubt, just look at what this forum did for the 1977 Topps Oscar Gamble PSA 4 VG-EX!!

Joann

Old 06-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i can't tell you guys how many auctions i lose to board members each and every day. granted we have quite an impact on things but are we...this small community driving prices up by competing with each other?

pete in mn

Old 06-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I have found that this message board has given me a knowledge & understanding of cards of Jewish players, plus an appreciation of all pre-war cards !!!

Alan

Old 06-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

By starting threads and posting images it definately peakis the interest of people reading the board. I know of a few instances where a set or card was discussed and for about the next couple of months the prices got inflated but then settled down. Ith ink a good example is the OJ's right now, they still sell but not with the fury of a year ago when there was more discussions about them on the board.

I tried revitalizing with the David Orr thread we'll see if that helps.

Lee