NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Barry Sloate

You know I sort of remember that you were a few months my senior...

I will tell Judy and please likewise send my good wishes to Pat. Hope she is doing well.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Jimmy

Default Black Swamp Find?

Wow, amazing find! congrats to the family that did not just trash them

Jimmy
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Alas, my "role" in this story is only that of an in-law. I did have the opportunity to spend a couple of days helping sort through the house, (what fun that was. Lots of lost "treasures"!) but due to work, I was out of the picture long before the cards were found. Most of the details I know I have learned through watching Karl being interviewed by various networks. I have been doing a lot of research on the E98, for my own information (I'm a geek like that) but truthfully, I have avoided learning all the "inside information" so I didn't have to worry about keeping it all secret!
It has been very difficult for me to see all the various stories floating around and not saying "Hey, silly! That's not right!!" Just today, a local NC Fox station had the aunt finding the cards and having to share them with her dozen nieces and nephews. How does a story get so wrong????
It has been requested that I hold off on posting any doll house pictures for right now. As soon as I am given the ok, I will gladly post.

Until then, happy bidding. I truely hope all of you that want to purchase a card have the opportunity to do so, at some point. Thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Bob Pomilla

One more vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBZuGDQ6qk0
Old 07-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Mulhall777

This is the greatest treasure trove ever uncovered in the history of the hobby. I was a loyal collector who spent ALL of my allowance money on early-mid 90's cards. Rather than getting a "real job" I would flip my doubles on eBay and various message boards, since eBay was pretty new then. Before I knew it, the modern day card market crashed. I was so frustrated that I sold off my entire collection in bulk and never looked back until now. Once in a while I will bust a Wal-Mart box of something like Allen & Ginter just to get that fix that I so desperately miss. But let's face it, the only way to sustain true value in the hobby nowadays is to purchase very high end "boxes" that contain 1-3 packs with a guaranteed rookie cut, auto, or something of that nature. No one wants to spend $300-$500 for a few cards that could either skyrocket or fizzle out. It's just not appealing to the collector nor your wallet. Which is why I had given up the hobby for over 10 years, until recently. Because of the Black Swamp Find that I read in my local paper (I live in NE Ohio) I found this message board. For a week now, I have done nothing but look at everyone's collection and thoughts on Pre-War cards, which I know nothing about yet highly appreciate. My wife thinks I am nuts! Haha. But, much to my surprise, there is in fact a market for those who truly love the hobby...I've just been looking into all the wrong places until now. I could never imagine the feeling of a Black Swamp like find, but it's more exciting to me that pulling a juiced up A-Rod swatch card from a high-end pack. Because of this find, I found you guys and because of you guys, I may join the hobby again. I love collecting cardboard, but when I tossed all my eggs into the 90's basket and ended up holding a goose egg that everyone else had, I hesitated to ever do it again. Thanks for opening up my eyes
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Tim Bro.ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof6 View Post
Alas, my "role" in this story is only that of an in-law. I did have the opportunity to spend a couple of days helping sort through the house, (what fun that was. Lots of lost "treasures"!) but due to work, I was out of the picture long before the cards were found. Most of the details I know I have learned through watching Karl being interviewed by various networks. I have been doing a lot of research on the E98, for my own information (I'm a geek like that) but truthfully, I have avoided learning all the "inside information" so I didn't have to worry about keeping it all secret!
It has been very difficult for me to see all the various stories floating around and not saying "Hey, silly! That's not right!!" Just today, a local NC Fox station had the aunt finding the cards and having to share them with her dozen nieces and nephews. How does a story get so wrong????
It has been requested that I hold off on posting any doll house pictures for right now. As soon as I am given the ok, I will gladly post.

Until then, happy bidding. I truely hope all of you that want to purchase a card have the opportunity to do so, at some point. Thanks for the welcome!

So who's asking you to hold off on the doll house pictures?

I have an idea but want to be sure. And I'm sure it's all about the money.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2112 View Post

That is a rude question and snide insinuation. I wouldn't answer if I were that person. Why do you want to be sure? What concern is it of yours? They said they were asked not to post them. Not a big deal. I appreciate them coming on the board in the first place.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:

Someone close to the find appears on the board and you want to know about the dollhouse????

I have better questions:

1) Do you know if the cards were bundled by player?

2) Were there more then 22 of any color for any individual player, or were most found right at the number 22?

-Matt
Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Mulhall777

I second Leon. What we have to take from this story is the fact that the family has had absolutely no financially arguments what-so-ever. That is the most impressive fact about the find considering how many individuals are involved. In this day and age, a lucky company lottery pool results in lawyering up eventually. Who knows the reason why the dollhouse pictures are not public, but respect the decision and don't always assume it's for the money. If you made the find, would you want every Tom, Dick and Harry questioning you about every little detail and requesting pictures of all the involved contents? I think not.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Tim Bro.ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That is a rude question and snide insinuation. I wouldn't answer if I were that person. Why do you want to be sure? What concern is it of yours? They said they were asked not to post them. Not a big deal. I appreciate them coming on the board in the first place.
I appreciate this person coming to the forum as well and was in no way saying anything negative about the family who found them or the poster.

I can only guess the dollhouse and any other information that the average baseball card collector would like to see or hear has been prohibited by a lawyers document somewhere in order for someone handling the find to make a few more bucks.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I appreciate this person coming to the forum as well and was in no way saying anything negative about the family who found them or the poster.

I can only guess the dollhouse and any other information that the average baseball card collector would like to see or hear has been prohibited by a lawyers document somewhere in order for someone handling the find to make a few more bucks.
That doesn't make any sense. I doubt there is money from the story or the details. The money is in the cards and Heritage will be selling them on behalf of the family. It might be that the family only wants certain people putting information out so they don't accidentally contradict each other AND they can keep track of all of the information. I can imagine with 20 different people owning them, different info could be put out and it could get twisted. With the above board nature and transparency shown so far I can't imagine there is anything going on behind the scenes. For those attending the Net54baseball Dinner at the National I think you will find some more info out. As already stated one of the speakers will be speaking about the find.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall777 View Post
This is the greatest treasure trove ever uncovered in the history of the hobby. I was a loyal collector who spent ALL of my allowance money on early-mid 90's cards. Rather than getting a "real job" I would flip my doubles on eBay and various message boards, since eBay was pretty new then. Before I knew it, the modern day card market crashed. I was so frustrated that I sold off my entire collection in bulk and never looked back until now. Once in a while I will bust a Wal-Mart box of something like Allen & Ginter just to get that fix that I so desperately miss. But let's face it, the only way to sustain true value in the hobby nowadays is to purchase very high end "boxes" that contain 1-3 packs with a guaranteed rookie cut, auto, or something of that nature. No one wants to spend $300-$500 for a few cards that could either skyrocket or fizzle out. It's just not appealing to the collector nor your wallet. Which is why I had given up the hobby for over 10 years, until recently. Because of the Black Swamp Find that I read in my local paper (I live in NE Ohio) I found this message board. For a week now, I have done nothing but look at everyone's collection and thoughts on Pre-War cards, which I know nothing about yet highly appreciate. My wife thinks I am nuts! Haha. But, much to my surprise, there is in fact a market for those who truly love the hobby...I've just been looking into all the wrong places until now. I could never imagine the feeling of a Black Swamp like find, but it's more exciting to me that pulling a juiced up A-Rod swatch card from a high-end pack. Because of this find, I found you guys and because of you guys, I may join the hobby again. I love collecting cardboard, but when I tossed all my eggs into the 90's basket and ended up holding a goose egg that everyone else had, I hesitated to ever do it again. Thanks for opening up my eyes
Great post and welcome back !!!

This board is a lot of fun, best place on the internet IMO. Great to see more interest in pre-war cards coming about because of this awesome find !!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Mulhall777

Thanks for the warm welcome Clayton! I wish I would have found these boards years ago, as part of the fun about collecting is networking , sharing and learning with others. I've already spent hours surfing the different topics on Net54 and I am amazed with the dedication and passion that some of you have. That's exactly what the hobby lacks IMO. I am very much looking forward to getting back in the game, perusing a different genre of cards than I once did and of course spending even more time on here!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 AM
J.O.N

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7414498n&tag=api

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 AM
qualitycards

Jon thanks for the link!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:01 PM

Default Did you read the '' comment'' on that film clip ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Jon thanks for the link!
The comment ruined my day but I'll get over it.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
The comment ruined my day but I'll get over it.
Sure did, I couldn't believe it either.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes they will definitely still have good value but it is sort of hard to say where all of this is going to put the other cards already in the hobby. No doubt that red ones already in the hobby will take bit of a hit, with so many high grades ones being found. It's hard to fathom they wouldn't come down some. Other colors, it's just too hard to say right now. Would love to see scans of them too.
Hey...

Here are some photos of my cards... what ya'll think?

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-14 13.18.25.jpg (36.4 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-14 13.18.52.jpg (31.5 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-14 13.28.40.jpg (35.8 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-07-14 13.29.25.jpg (37.5 KB, 651 views)
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM
pete ullman

Honus looks very nice... but then again it's so common!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Matt Hall

It's the now "rare" orange version!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Mulhall777

Thanks for the video post! Seems like the media has been pretty straight forward about the find and has not twisted it like most news stories. I hope I didn't just jinx it

I would have to say that the closest thing I've had to a "Black Swamp Like Find" was about 15 years ago when I was helping a buddy of mine re-shingle his roof. I pulled off one of the shingles and found a handful of T206's. At first my heart stopped, as I knew they were tobacco cards due to the famous Wager everyone in the hobby has seen. Some of the cards were too damaged to even tell the players names and could barley see the photos. I don't recall the exact cards we unearthed from his roof, but at the time they were only going on eBay for less than $100 and in much better condition. My buddy collected at the time, so I just let him have them. He did provide lunch and beer for the roofing job, so no complaints. Only if one of the cards were a a big name, for a minute...I had that glimmer of hope and possibility which caused my spine to tingle. We never figured out why the cards were there under a roof shingle, but that's what makes finds like this great...their totally unexpected and can happen anywhere at anytime
Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Joel

Rarest of all...

Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklitzke View Post
Hey...

Here are some photos of my cards... what ya'll think?

Michael
very nice wagner...if the white lines on his legs are not creases or wrinkles it looks like an easy 4.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:23 AM
Barry Sloate

Nice one Joel....yesterday I started a Mike Trout thread in the watercooler section.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 AM

Default joel and bosoxfan

LOL!!!

All i find is bats in my belfry
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM

HAHA! Great parody card, Joel, and nice reference to Spinal Tap.

And nice real cards, Michael. As stated, the Wagner could go up to PSA 5 if crease/wrinkle-free. The Evers is real nice, too, although the upper crease could put it into a PSA 2 holder if graded. The nice thing is neither of your cards are red back, so this find shouldn't affect their value too much.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Joel

Not my work guys. I thought I'd share it though. It was made by a very good custom cut auto maker on another forum.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Daryl

Default Matt Lauer - Today Show Interview

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/482247.../#.UAdGNvX5BVI
Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM

While the whales fight it out over the PSA 9s, I think the prices will stay steady for the low and midgrade E98s. I do think the orange and blues will probably increase in value, but across the board I don't see the mt E98s driving the lesser condition E98s down because there will always be a strong demand for them in eye appeal condition.

As someone mentioned above, thank God these were E98s and not E94s, I have too much invested in that master set
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
What is the Black Swamp Find?
I asked the board this simple question one year ago today. Soon it was on every news outlet. A member of the family joined the board, and began to communicate with me via PM about the family's experience. The cards were on prominent display at the National, and Peter Calderon from Heritage told the behind-the-scenes story at the Net54 dinner. I doubt there will ever be another find of this caliber in our lifetime.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I doubt there will ever be another find of this caliber in our lifetime.
I hope you are wrong!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
Only a PSA 10 E98 Wagner. No big thing
That's only part of the story.

An entire pristine E98 set was discovered. I think there was a PSA 9 Cobb in that set if I'm not mistaken.

This find has set the bar high, unreasonably high for those trying to build a high quality set. There were/are three cards from this find for sale on eBay. Two PSA 8s and a PSA 9(O/C).
Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Brad Pencil

Default I've got one :)

I picked up this one up of the Black Swamp find! Very nice hate the way PSA put it in the holder though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910_e98_Bill Dahlen_9_front.jpg (78.5 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by pencil1974; 06-21-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Ted

This is the card collector's dream. Great thread, thanks to the family members who joined in, and to Leon for hosting us all!

WOW!

Two questions for the board.

1. At some point in time, will all the finds be found? Will there ever be a time when every pre-war card is accounted for?

2. Will this spark interest (and an increase in value) in the other E-card series?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil1974 View Post
I picked up this one up of the Black Swamp find! Very nice hate the way PSA put it in the holder though.
Nice!!! I had my eye on that one also but decided to leave it. Dropped a load on one of my non-baseball collecting interests instead. I think there are two remaining on eBay from the BSF.

So I guess you have me to thank.

I see your flipping it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-9-MINT-O...item3f265c1041

I'd buy it if I hadn't already bought that C55 Vezina from last week.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 06-22-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Brad Pencil

Yeah I keep debating on selling it or keeping it. My problem is I always find "another" card I want too so my wife makes me sell some so I can get more. Oh the pains of marriage. lol. It is a beauty of a card though. And thank you for letting me get it
Old 06-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Good luck on the sale of the Dahlen. It is truly a beautiful card. I've noticed, though, that there have been several Black Swamp cards on ebay, month after month, which have never sold. I think some of the luster has gone off the Find and it has become incredibly hard to flip these cards, given the amounts sunk in them....
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo_450 View Post
This is the card collector's dream. Great thread, thanks to the family members who joined in, and to Leon for hosting us all!

WOW!

Two questions for the board.

1. At some point in time, will all the finds be found? Will there ever be a time when every pre-war card is accounted for?

2. Will this spark interest (and an increase in value) in the other E-card series?

no, they will never all be found, because they are still pulling superman comics #1 from in between the walls, and isn't that the way a ty cobb tin was found too?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Brad Pencil

It's one of those things that if it sells great and if it doesn't sell great. Like I mentioned in a previous post my wife thinks I have to many "toys" or cards in my case and makes me sell a few when I buy some. My problem is I love buying the cards. lol.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Future finds analyzed

Is a find a find before its found?
I think not, the logic's sound.
In the past, finds were found.
No one knows what's underground.

Future finds are speculation
If unfound, more consternation
If uncovered, jubilation
Risk, reward or humiliation

A searcher's quest may stay behind
without a clue of any kind.
You'll never know, not in your mind,
'cause it must be found to be a find.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Bravo, Frank, Bravo! I'm speechless, (and that's a first for me). Dave
Old 06-23-2013, 04:24 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Is a find a find before its found?
I think not, the logic's sound.
In the past, finds were found.
No one knows what's underground.

Future finds are speculation
If unfound, more consternation
If uncovered, jubilation
Risk, reward or humiliation

A searcher's quest may stay behind
without a clue of any kind.
You'll never know, not in your mind,
'cause it must be found to be a find.
I agree. I find calling "unfound finds"..."finds", before they are "found"..."unfounded".

By the way, if a "find" was "found" in the basement wall at a metal casting factory, would that make it a "Foundry Foundation Find"?

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 06-23-2013 at 04:33 AM.