NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Alan Elefson

Default Early Topps Gum Box?

Hi-

This is sort of off topic, but I was curious what folks think of the box pictured below. It appears to be an early Topps chewing gum box, but I did not know if it was something made recently or how old it is specifically. There were dozens of matchbooks stored in the box (none were related to Topps or baseball) and the top is long gone, but I thought the graphics were interesting. It appears to match the wrappers shown on Dave H's blog on Topps that are from the late 1930s and early 1940s. Any thoughts as to when this round box is from? Please feel free to show your other early (pre card) Topps items.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (58.9 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (56.8 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (63.4 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (64.4 KB, 343 views)
Old 07-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Nice piece Alan, I would guess early to mid forties. I've never seen it before. Looks legit to me. Randy
Old 07-06-2017, 05:41 PM

You should be able to date it here by the design of the gum wrappers:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZU...%20gum&f=false

It looks earlier than the 1946 Counter Display shown.

Last edited by sthoemke; 07-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Anthøny N. ex

A similar one was offered a year or two ago, think it was Huggins and Scott but might have been REA
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Alan Elefson

Thanks guys! Anthony, you have a great memory. I found a similar one in both Lelands and Huggins and Scott. I wish mine still had the gum and outer box though.
Alan

http://lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=82340
http://nov15.hugginsandscott.com/cgi....pl?lotno=1751
Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Rick
Mike Mc.Gr@il

I once owned one in the box complete with gum. Got mine from Josh Evans of Lelands some years ago. Even though it was full,I remember hearing it was rather common at the time.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Al, my belief is that the plain ones without any foil date to WW2 (1943-45 probably) but it's not 100% certain. I have three of those, two with foil (slightly different) and one like yours, although the colors are a lot more muted on mine. I also have a Tatoo canister that I believe is the last of that style, which dates to 1948 or 1949 and that one has a foil rim. I think at least one of my foils has a copyright, I can't look until later but will check.

Last edited by toppcat; 07-10-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Alan Elefson

Thanks Dave and Rick! Dave, if you could check I would appreciate it. If you have a chance, can you please post your versions?

Alan
Old 07-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Love this thread! Yes, please post more examples.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Sure thing!

Leftmost is 1942 copyright. No copyright on the plainer canister to the right which also has differing subtext under Topps ("Chewing Gum" vs "A Superior Quality Chewing Gum"). This does not correspond to copyrights on the the gum wrappers, which are either 1939 or 1946. The lack of copyright on the plain paper canister is odd, Topps was quite meticulous about their copyrighting. The plain canister also has a different layout of the gum tabs, whereas the two foiled canisters have the same artwork. It could be from Canada as one Topps shield says Made In USA plus the finish is quite dull vs the paper one posted above (it's not faded, just dull). I believe it to be WW2 vintage but that's not certain. There could be another version of this one without the Natural Flavors wording as they had to use artificial flavorings as the war went on. The "Quality" sub text may tie to an ad campaign, see the industry or trade ad at the bottom of this post. There's a 1949 version as well (It's "Refreshing") that I still need and a clear one I've only seen seen on a blurry jobber order sheet that has "Take Your Change In Topps" on a sticker affixed to it.

Leftmost is 1946 copyright and then on the right (obviously) is the Tatoo canister. I think Topps went to square boxes for their one cent counter displays after Tatoo, like the ones used for Magic Photo. These didn't have tops, they came in a separate blue box that also had a little red sign you stuck in the canister:

FYI, for the Topps Gum tabs, you can't tell the year of issue from the fronts as they are all identical, you have to look at the backs of the packs or the indicia on the smaller bottom indicia. There are three main types: 1939 New York City (lots of text), 1939 Brooklyn (different graphics vs NYC version as well), 1946 Brooklyn (matches front except for bottom line of text). That's also the same order of how easy they are to find as 1946 is seen far more often than either of the 39's. Known flavors: Peppermint, Spearmint, Cinnamon, Pepsin and Ginger (which is rare, NYC wrapper only I think and likely replaced by Pepsin). There is also a Fruit wrapper shown in Chris Benjamin's Sport Americana NS guide that I've never actually seen except in his books. Jeff Shepherd thinks it's a Bazooka precursor and if anyone has one I'd like to acquire it, or at least a good color scan.

Killer ad to my mind. Can anyone post variants of the canisters above? I think the plain one that started this thread has different graphics than my plain one but I note it too says Made in USA.

Last edited by toppcat; 07-11-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Al Richter

Default Gum

I think I got these from you Dave

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-11-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I think I got these from you Dave

Hi Al, it's possible for sure! I sent a few along to different folks some years back in trades. My specific recall for this stuff is mushy at best these days!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:05 AM
Bruce Tjossem

Default Found

Didn't read all of this. Apologies for dumplication.
found same on www.worthpoint.com
indicates 1942
Sold for $15'ish value back in 2015