NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Default Hal Chase National Game and Tom Barker different photos used

I thought I would share something I just noticed concerning the Tom Barker and National Game sets. Both the National Game (WG5) and Tom Barker
(WG6) Game card sets have 52 cards in the set. Nine of these are the action cards, while 43 depict identified players. Between the two sets there are 39 players in common, while each set has four players (Dahlen, McLean, Stahl and Stoval in the National Game set, and Carrigan, Meyers, Wheat and Wingo in the Tom Barker set) that are only found in one of the sets.

I always assumed that there were no differences in the photos used for the 39 players that are in common between the two sets. I was wrong. The Chase on the left is from the National Game set, and the Chase on the right is from the Tom Barker set.

Now for an inquiry--does anyone else out there know of any additional differences in photos used for the other 38 players found in both sets?

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chases153.jpg (69.3 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 10-30-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Surely I know my left from right
Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Matt Wieder

Brian - nice catch - that also calls into question the issue dates as Chase is identified with two different teams. His switch came in 1913, so they could both be 1913 issues, but perhaps the National Game issue is 1914?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Thanks Matt for pointing out the team changes...I actually totally overlooked that. I also edited the original post so that the cards are accurately identified (before I had both the National Game card and the Tom Barker as being on the right, leaving the card on the left feeling rather forsaken).

I think the Chase Card identifies which set was published first--the National Game card identifies him as a Yankee, which he was up through the first part of the 1913 season, while the Tom Barker shows him as a White Sox player, which would lead one to believe this set was produced later in 1913, or possibly early in 1914, as the ads that DJR posted (cool by the way, thanks) helpfully narrow down.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 10-30-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Brian, I noticed the Chase difference a little while back (I think while I was looking at Jeff L. online collection) and have been looking over the two sets and haven't noticed any other cards having different images or team changes but I may have missed something along the way.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-17-2015, 11:42 PM

Default Sha Na Na Na Na

Nothing new to add here, except maybe that the true Grover Alexander rookie card (at least as a normal sized card) would be the National Game, being that it was produced earlier than the Tom Barker version, which the Chase cards seen from this old thread prove.

A five year old 'so there'.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-18-2015 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Clarkekentification
Old 11-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Nothing new to add here, except maybe that the true Grover Alexander rookie card (at least as a normal sized card) would be the National Game, being that it was produced earlier than the Tom Barker version, which the Chase cards seen from this old thread prove.

A five year old 'so there'.

Brian
Better late than never!!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Or the 1911 M101-2.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:14 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I came across this ad while researching old newspapers that might explain
the difference between the National game cards and the Tom Barker game
cards.

The ad is from the San Francisco Examiner and ran on May 10 1914,

Tom Barker Game Ad.jpg
Old 01-10-2019, 05:22 PM

Thanks for posting the ad Pat. It is interesting to note that not only is the date of issue somewhat confirmed (with the May 1914 date of the ad), but that these cards were advertised on the West Coast, making them likely to be purchased by a wider swath of the US.

Still a great set, and I love both the National Game and Tom Barker Hal Chase action photos.

Brian
Old 01-10-2019, 05:28 PM

As a follow up Hal Chase was traded from New York to the White Sox on June 1st of 1913, meaning that the photo used on his Tom Barker card was snapped sometime after this date during the 1913 season, as Hal jumped to the Buffalo team in the Federal League before the start of the 1914 season.

Brian
Old 01-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Troy Rambo

Thought I'd give an edit. The WG5 set has 54 cards in it if you include the score and rules card. I'm assuming the WG6 set is similar but I've never collected those.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 AM

Somehow missed this thread entirely in its first two spells of activity...
Excellent insights and information -- thanks, Brian and Pat!
Still looking for more biographical information on Tom Barker himself...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM

I have a feeling Tom Barker did not exist, and was a creation of the makers of the National Game cards as a marketing idea to further the sales of their game cards after the original production of the cards under the National Game name.

Just a thought,

Brian