NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Mike P.ap

Default M118s (no way!) Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Walter, Matty (LARGE list!) Need help as always!

Ok, I got this really cool album today FULL of very large Baseball Magazine Photos.

9 3/8 by 12 is the large standard size and it appears some of the recent ones like Reese and others are smaller? Maybe trimmed but I think just smaller by design.

The reese is 7 13/16 by 10 and appears untrimmed (but who knows?) to my albeit failing eyesight lol!

I'm not convinced these are M118s which I found a 2012 thread on here. They look different and the older player photos look and feel very vintage. My amateur thoughts are these:

Premiums that were available through the years and NOT in one specific year like the M118s. That being said, I have no idea what set they are from! Vermont has SO MUCH stuff like this its amazing!

Any help out here? lol, I know its coming from you guys.....and gals? Thanks!

PS 1 Here goes as I have time and in no particular order and I'll include the exact name not he card with quotes if there are any:.....large size: "Christy" Mathewson, Tyrus Raymond Cobb, Rogers Hornsby, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Walter Johnson (Henry...do you have this one?, "Tris" Speaker, Cy Young, Walter Masterson, "Babe" Ruth, Red Munger (but not from same set but glossy and no name but name is written in pencil on back) size 7.5 by 9 7/16, Carl Hubbell, Leo Durocher, James Emory Foxx, Ted Williams, Alfonso "Chico" Carrasquell, Stanley Frank Musial, Willie Mays, Earl Torgeson, Edwin "Duke" Snider, Robert Doerr, Warren Spahn, Ed Matthews, Al "Red" Schoendienst, Jim Busby, Carl Erskine, Bobby Thomson, Clyde McCullough, Clem Labine, Eugene Bearden, William Cox, Del Ennis, Joe Black, Luke Appling, Eddie Waitkus, Larry Doby, Monte Irvin, Henry Sauer, Harold Newhouser, Early Wynn, Victor Wertz, Walter Dropo, Joseph Gordon, Robert Lemon, Gil Coan, John Pesky, Eddie Yost, Mike Garcia, Conrad Marrero, Enos Slaughter, Clyde Vollmer, Hoyt Wilhelm, Ted Kluszewski, Salvatore Maglie, Gerald Staley, George Kell, Robert Avila, Howard Pollett, Harry Brecheen, Carl Scheib, Harold (Peewee) Reese, Sam Jethroe, Max Surkont, John Mize, Gus Zernial, Melvin Parnell, Dale Mitchell, Dominic Di Maggio, Ned Garver, Louis Boudreau, Al Zarilla, Ellis R. Kinder, William Walker Cooper, Joseph Dobson, Andrew Pafko, Al "Flip" Rosen, Solly Hemus, Al Corwin, Willard Marshall, Cass Michaels, Henry Majeski, John Groth, Robert Shantz, Ed Stanky, Martin Marion, Ewell Blackwell, Andrew Seminick, Sam Chapman, Virgil Trucks, Paul "Dizzy" Trout, Irv Noren, Sidney Gordon, Philip Cavarretta, Ed Robinson, Robin Roberts, Luke Easter, Elwin "Preacher" Roe, Barney McCosky, Orestes Minoso, Ralph Kiner, Carl Furillo, and the 1946 Red Sox Team Photo!~ No doubles so..... it appears to be 101 different but one is 100% NOT from the same set (the Munger) so 100 different that all say Baseball Magazine on them!

PS 2: They are all the larger size EXCEPT: Carrasquuel, Torgeson, McCullough, Labine, Bearden, Cox, Appling, Coan, Kluszewski, Reese, Roberts, Roe, McCosky, Minoso, Kiner, and Furillo. ALL are large 9 3/8 by 12 except these more modern players..... these that I just listed in this sentence are all approx 7 13/16 by 10.

PS 3: All appear to be with the NY address on them and none with the super scarce Wash. Address as I learned by just reading the SCD article on these!

Peace, Mike

thumbnail_IMG_3934.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3930.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3931.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3932.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3933.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3935.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3936.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3937.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 11-25-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:04 PM
Paul

Nice collection of M114s. Some info here:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/m/m114/m...?cardsetID=972

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 11-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Phew.....

Thanks Paul! Awesome! OMG! 750 different!?!?!? Oh well, 15 % of the set in one fell swoop is not that bad!

Peace, Mike

PS I just found a cool SCD article on this "monster" https://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/m114/

Last edited by vthobby; 11-25-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 PM
Bry@n

Doug Goodman is the master of these:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252268

Make sure you send him your post.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:32 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks Bryan!

That is why I LOVE this site. Leave it for a few months or stay on it 24/7. You ALWAYS learn something and always meet new good people and collectors/dealers. It does not matter to me! I love it! Thanks!

Peace, Mike
Old 11-25-2019, 10:09 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Doug Goodman is the master of these:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252268

Make sure you send him your post.
+1. And yes, most of those are M114s

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 11-26-2019, 01:24 AM
Doug Goodman

I appreciate everybody aiming Mike at me and my fascination with the m113 / m114 sets.

Mike - I have sent you an email.

I will probably be off line for the next 36 hours while I satiate another fascination I have at the Oakland Coliseum tomorrow night. But, after Mike and I get a chance to communicate, I'm sure there will be follow up posts.

Good night,
Doug
Old 12-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Doug Goodman

For those of you wondering, Mike and I have worked out a deal and I have added 13 of his m114s to my collection.

I will post some pictures soon of the two "best" ones of Ed Mathews and Red Schoendienst.

It was a pleasure dealing with Mike and I look forward to the next time.

Doug
Old 03-01-2020, 10:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks Doug!

Very smooth dealings!

Peace, Mike