NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb Orange Borders on Ebay!

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Cool Card!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=5120760978&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I don't need a Cobb card, so I won't be bidding... but you guys and gals should!!!

[edited to add link]

Old 09-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

You folks don't agree with me that the card is cool...

or are you all just playing possum so that you can snipe each other at the end?

Old 09-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's a very cool card. ........wish I had more money right now....later

Old 09-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AAA, NASA grading

You know, when does this end? A cut-out from a candy box is a card? Ok, I can unerstand Milk Duds because there was a NUMBERED SET of CARDS in that issue. Oh, wait a minute, there wasn't an established numbering system back then. Our culture didn't have an established numbering system until baseball started putting numbers on uniforms and if I'm not mistaken, Cobb didn't have uniform number back at the time that this "ORANGE" border thing was made as a graphic for a box of candy.

I honestly believe that in the true spirit of it all that this thing should have been sent to Hawaii so that it could have been appropriately slabbed and listed on ebay by a seller that is known for such things.

Where is the credibility in SGC slabbing this? If this thing does well in an auction I think I'll start looking for pictures of Cobb, Wagner (et al) and submit them to SGC with titles that might fit. If it has a GREEN border around the picture then I'll ask SGC to slab it as a GREEN border card. If it has a YELLOW border then we'll have it slabbed as a PURPLE border in the YELLOW variation so that I can dupe the buying public into thinking it's a one of a kind RARE collectible item. My only challenge would be to come up with a true PURPLE border photo of the same item.

Stepping down from my soap box and still full of spit and venom over crap like this.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

With all due respect the orange border cards are considered cards by every expert (* I am years away from that title) I have ever spoken with. For SGC to grade them is called "doing business". I am sure if you search the Network 54 database you will find several threads devoted to this topic. I think they should be graded, personally. Good debate though.....regards
ps...how about an orange border baseball bats card......

Old 09-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett

Maybe you are trying to be sarcastic or something, I can't tell. The orange border cards, along with their Baseball Bats counterparts (as well as All-Star Baseball Candy)ARE considered to be baseball cards. They were produced by a company with a product and the buyer was encouraged to keep them, ala Wheaties cards from the 1930's. Putting these cards in the same category as a Spalding AAA 10 Gem Mint Heinie Groh card is rediculous.
-Rhett

Old 09-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett

Leon, it appears we were both resonding to the previous post at the same time.
-Rhett

Old 09-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The only characteristic that makes it different from an insert card is the fact that it was meant to be cut out from the box. There are a plethora of such sets and have been since the start of card issuing such luminaries as Wheaties, Bazooka, Post, Jello, Milk Duds, Hostess (Twinkies, yum...), etc.

Old 09-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Spencer

As Leon rightly says, with the greatest respect, I find it rather strange that a dealer such as yourself who destroys old magazines and newpapers by cutting out pictures of famous players, grades them with his own company. and then floods Ebay with them would take such issue with the orange border Cobb, as well as the Cobb tobacco tin, which is simply being offered as a rare collectible. The Cobb cutout is recognized as a legitimate card, which is a lot more than you can say with your inventory. The fact that a recognized and respected grading company such as SGC would put in a holder is good enough for me. To paraphrase Shakespere: " Me thinkith the gentleman doth protest too much.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I thought the major grading companies didn't grade anything that was hand cut (because cutting cards with scissors is inherently trimming)? I was told by the world's expert on Japanese baseball cards that no grading company will grade vintage Japanese cards for this very reason. Does SGC have a different policy or is there an exception for orange bordered cobbs?

Old 09-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

I was in a mall this past weeke-end and a guy was selling some legitimate baseball cards, along with a bunch of these AAA paper cutouts, including a Cobb, Ruth, etc. He spoke about them with some reverence saying they were form this guy in Hawaii, at which point I said that I knew who he was talking about, that this person was not thought of well in the serious baseball card collecting world, and they were just worthless magazine/newspaper cutouts that he cut himself, graded himself and then tries to pass of as something valuable, that they're essentially worthless except as people are fooled to believe they are valuable. He wanted $50 each for them. I would have paid maybe $1-$2 each just because they looked cool. I thought this person who does this wouldn't visit Net54. What is he doing here? Does he know he's ripping people off and clogging up ebay with all that crap?

BTW, that beautiful Cobb card sold for over $2,000! Not bad...