NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Default sets started..sets finished...sets discarded

Posted By: nbrazil

I just completed selling all (except one) of my 1915 Cracker Jacks. I didnt want to sell it, but needed to because of financial reasons.

That marks the 2nd set this year I had to jump out off. The other set was the D304s.

Of course, I jumped into another set this year: T3's.

Unfortunately, I haven't completed any sets.

In 2007, how many sets (and which sets) have you:

-Started (and why?)
-Discarded (i.e. sold/traded away without completing)...(and why?)
-Finished (either kept or sold it)...(and how long did it take you?)

thanks

Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I quit on a E90 through E107 type run. I got down to the last couple cards I needed, and it was just painfully a boring time period. I have no patience so if I get down to the last card or two needed, if I cant find them I usually give up. I guess I just have to have my fix every couple days of a package arriving in the mail

I started a low grade E98 set a few weeks back...so far its been very fun to dabble with. I picked up quite a few fairly quickly....in a little bit of a lull now but possibly have a few more on the horizon in the next few days if the cards fall in the right place.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

The first set I completed minus 1 was the 1916-1920 Bighead strip cards. It is an impossible set to complete. I then moved on to d304's which were available and fun, but getting really expensive towards the end. The only set I completed and have since upgraded when I get a chance is the d359/e104/t208 set of all images. To me set collecting is not as much fun as collecting a favorite player or buying a card because you like the image. Sometimes it is boring, takes a long time, and some cards in the set just plain suck. Here are a few of my cards from these sets...

Old 12-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

Without a doubt patience is the key but i am sure you knew that. Stick with the E98 set and give it a good year to finish the low grade set and if an upgrade comes along then that will keep you interested in it. Make 2008 your goal to finish.

My goal is to finish a T204 Square frame set and i know it will take a long time but i am young so i have time on my side.

Goodluck all...

Old 12-07-2007, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

Started: 1933 R305 Tattoo Orbit Red Sox team set.
Reason: I like the overall aesthetics of the set.

Discarded: T206 set, except for Red Sox players.
Reason: I wanted to focus my prewar collection on the Red Sox only.

Finished: T206 Red Sox team set (took about 1 year to complete - Kleinow was most difficult.)

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

I started the long venture of compiling the E90-1 American Caramel set about a year and a half ago and just finished it. Mr. Jackson was the last one needed and thanks to a good friend in the hobby was able to finally come into one at a great price for completion.Got some great deals on most, overpaid on a few, but overall did pretty good. Since my set was put together almost card by card -vs- buying the set already completed, I think I appreciate it much more.
I think the key to finishing a set as tough as this is to have lots of contacts and friends in the hobby. Without the help of many people and key N54 board members, I could have never of done this so quickly. Paul Kaufman, Dan Koteles, Tony Arnold, & Alan Sasoon just to name a few. Thanks guys..
10 sets of eyes are much better than 2 when needing to locate cards you need.

Tony

edited for grammar

Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I went for and completed the T200 set.
I love this set of cards.... something about a real photo / real team photo of the day that is just magical to me. Its a moment in time captured.
It is a lot of fun going for and completing a set.

I was actually halfway through a second T200 set -
but have since sold off most of those cards (I have just two left).

I sold my T200s and some other stuff to help fund my golf card collection and some higher $$ baseball cards that I wanted such as:

In 2008:
I miss the hunt, so
I am kicking around the idea of set collecting (just not sure if / what I will)

--- 1914 Cracker Jacks
--- 1900 Copes Golf
--- T206 subset of some kind (portraits)
--- Wagner portrait cards
edit: is there a Wagner portrait with a yellow background? I think one with a yellow background would go nice with the blue and the red I have. Maybe I can get one of those.

--- something else?

Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Not counting Post War, where I am still working on a half dozen oddball Topps sets, I am only working on one major Pre War set right now: The Monster.

I've probably started and stopped three dozen different sets over the years and have instead focused more on type cards and Brooklyn Dodgers Team Sets. I'm about 8 cards away from full Dodger Team Sets in 39-41 Playball and should finish that run by next year. I'll work on the Goudey Dodgers next most likely. Some of the E and early R sets only have a single Dodger, if any, so those are almost type cards when I get those.

Sometimes set collecting just seems like you are crossing numbers off a list without any real purpose.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david Poses

trying to complete t206 southern league set with all backs.

i'd like to put together a set t206 SL players who appear in t210s and whatever other type cards i can track down.

i'm contemplating the t205 minor leaguers, but don't know enough about it yet to get started.

anybody have any t210s of t206 southern leaguers? i'd love to see some pix...

Old 12-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

I have sold my complete sets of PSA 4 1933 Goudey (minus #53 and #106) and will be selling my PSA 5 1948 Leaf (complete) sets this year. I also sold my partial (54 cards) Famous & Barr (M101-4/5) set.

I am now working on a e90-1 (all SGC40) set. I've started back on the Famous & Barr set and have redirected to Dummy Hoy and Dummy Taylor cards.

I also started T206 (PSA 3)and 1915 Cracker Jacks (PSA 3) and 1954 Topps (PSA 7) but discarded due to lack of excitement.

So many cards and not enough financial resources. Maybe I'll have to sell off my AA "Big Book" collection to finance more.

Scott (ubiqty)

Old 12-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Im more of a HOF player collector. Nevertheless, Ive started, finished and discarded a couple of sets.

Ive completed an e93 set. Each card has been purchased individually for the most part and the set has been upgraded along the way and the set averages around a 50. The thing I like most about what Ive been able to do with this set is that even on the few cards with lower grades, Ive been able to get cards that present much better than their technical grade. So the overall quality of the set seems much higher IMO. Examples:

Ive also completed a T227 set of the four baseball players and sold all but one. I am now working on an e94 purple set. Any help would be appreciated

Old 12-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have been a type card collector since day 1 of collecting as an adult, about 10-11 yrs ago. I was very fortunate to pick up some toughies to get to the point of only needing less than a handful to complete my set of ACC cards Pre-1950, minus cabinets, which I have not really delved into. Since I am a back collector too, I have almost completed most of those iterations within each set....T201,T202,T203,T204,T205, Not T206, T207........Back collecting has been a lot of fun while mixed in with the type cards. After acquiring Lew's personal holdings of E94 overprints in one of his auctions, and the one uniquely known one from a board member (with the help of 2 others) and with the help of David Bryan, I finished those overprints. Now I am going for the D303 master set and sort of the Big Heads set....I haven't really given up on anything yet.....I just hang out and try to be patient. Collecting the D303's has got me accustomed to paying a lot for stuff I don't really care about, so I at least know that feeling . Happy collecting.....

Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Started: E95, 1936 Canadian Goudey, 1932 US Caramel Presidents.

Discarded: 1936 Canadian Goudey

Finished: 1935 Schutter Johnson

Great post!

Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I started the Canadian Goudey set. I have most of the expensive ones, so the rest shouldn't be too many $$. I started it because it is a fairly small set that I thought I could finish.

I also started the 1954 Dan Dee regional potato chip set. Here is the weird thing... I was in a discount store the other week and saw a bunch of Dan Dee potato chips bags on the shelf. I thought "hey I think they used to do a baseball card set" I bought a bag and picked up two cards on Ebay. That has got to be a pretty stupid reason to start a set!!

BTW, the chips were pretty good

Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Well in about 2 years I have gotten to 1 card away from a 1915 cracker jack set with an average grade of VG. I need a cobb and am just too short on cash right now to make it happen before the end of the year

I had gone strong on the E-90-1 set but cooled off a lot once I sold my Jackson and really started seeing what I was going to have to pay on some of those tough commons. I still pick up some cards though so it's not 100% dead yet.

I started a Boston Store Set this year which I doubt I will ever complete because of the Ruth and Jackson unless I get really luckly or someone decides to be really nice to me

I am still trying to complete the 1900 Mayo Cut Plug Baseball comic set but I haven't seen any I need at all lately as I only have 10 left and they don't come up to often.

Post war, I have a 1975 and a 75 mini set that I dabble in and have a lot of raw cards that I never get around to grading because I have put the funds into the pre-war stuff.

The only set I dropped was the monster. I had maybe 50-75 cards and it just overloaded me so for now that goes. I also was doing it low grade so I figure that I will always be able to get back to that at near the same price level.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Not prewar...but I was halfway to completing '52 Topps, but I'm now starting to sell-off. Too expensive to finish and my guess is that it is now overpriced.

About one-third of the way towards completing '33 Goudey. But so far haven't bought any big-ticket cards.

Peter C.