NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2019, 10:58 PM

Default Where's the Fun?

Hey guys it seems like the last few week the discussions have gotten a bit negative. I'm relatively new to the site (and really enjoy it), but I come here to see cool PW cards and learn interesting facts, not to read angry exchanges.

I listened to the monster pod cast episode #3 and learned so much about the chronology of T-cards from 1887-T206 it was just awesome.

Let's post some cool cards and have fun.

Thanks.
Tim
Old 01-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Matt

Right on. I've had a ton of fun with my cards the past few weeks of this holiday break— showing them to visiting family members, organizing and pruning dupes, and overall just staring at my cards to start and end each day with great enjoyment. Also talking a lot with collector friends about our favorites, and what we hope to find for our collections in the coming year. All that is what it's all about, great and simple fun.

Here are two cards from different ends of the condition spectrum that I've been enjoying looking at today...

Last edited by MattyC; 01-03-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 PM

I love the '56 Mantle (I have one PSA 4) it's a beautiful card regardless of grade.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:35 PM

Default Tim....

sometimes out of the negative comes some positive.....welcome to the board from me! Johnny V

love the cards.....

here's something I dream of
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner collage.jpg (74.5 KB, 305 views)
Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 PM
Justin Goodman

Welcome, Tim!

Thanks for the kind words about our podcast! Glad you found it enjoyable and educational!

Justin
Old 01-03-2019, 11:54 PM

Justin, keep up the good work on the podcast!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:55 PM

Thanks Johnny V! Where can I find a more high-def scan of the Wagners?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:43 AM
Barry Sloate

Johnny- back in 1986, I purchased the Wagner top row, fifth from the right, with the upper left corner missing for around $8500. Wish I kept it.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Johnny- back in 1986, I purchased the Wagner top row, fifth from the right, with the upper left corner missing for around $8500. Wish I kept it.
The corner missing might keep it below a million dollars today.

Tim-
We all come here to collect. IF there was NO negativity then it could be boring but I have to agree, less is better!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pd311x2.jpg (78.0 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-04-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 AM

Default Tim...

my pleasure sir

http://www.t206resource.com/Wagner-Gallery.html

Barry-

as everyone knows, owning a Wagner is my lifes goal(as crazy as it may sound)......I came close as a kid......I dream about it all day long.....hoping one day my dream will come true....

the card you had was gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love them original....the corner missing gives it character to me!!! id take the 1/2 wagner or even the die cut one......

I actually can't imagine how you feel.....it's probably one of the biggest regrets of your life...I am so sorry......if it means anything, you probably had to do what you had to do at the time....I wish you could get another.....and then please remember me in your will......just having said you had owned one is amazing....you are a true living legend, a legendary card like wagner needs to be with you.....

email me if you ever want to chat, i'll give you my cell.....I will be your support on this one
Old 01-04-2019, 06:50 AM

Default btw....

if I had a wagner , id be like keith and carry it around with me
Old 01-04-2019, 06:57 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

A belated welcome to the board, Tim.

I haven't really seen much in the way of negativity outside of the norm - or any real par-for-the-course drama. Certainly, the fake auto thread is a kick in the crotch, especially for those with a lot of $$ invested, but that's just horrible news. But what would this place be without Ted and Pat doing their usual dance, or people ragging on the TPGs? Trust me, when the real negativity hits, you will definitely know it. Cheers!

Last edited by Paul S; 01-04-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:59 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
if I had a wagner , id be like keith and carry it around with me
Till you get a real one maybe try a cheap reprint or a nice Custom with a business card back. I done the second with one of my favorite error cards.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:04 AM

Default haha

Ben!

Ted Z gave me a beauty reprint 2 months ago at the valley forge show......I carry that for now....thanks Ted! business cards sound like a great idea! I just have to start my grading company

btw....are you in on my "panel of experts"???? could use a good fraudster detector
Old 01-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw2ward View Post
Hey guys it seems like the last few week the discussions have gotten a bit negative. I'm relatively new to the site (and really enjoy it), but I come here to see cool PW cards and learn interesting facts, not to read angry exchanges.

I listened to the monster pod cast episode #3 and learned so much about the chronology of T-cards from 1887-T206 it was just awesome.

Let's post some cool cards and have fun.

Thanks.
Tim
Tim, I am so glad that you enjoyed the podcast. It's really cool knowing that something Justin and I are doing for fun is having a positive impact! Definitely motivation to do more episodes more often.

I had a huge year collecting for my personal collection, and here are a few things I added. All motivated by 3 projects: pursuit of the monster (complete), my Walter Johnson back run, and Cobbs with rare backs (neither will ever be complete haha).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5. Green Sovereign.jpg (43.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 10. Red Cobb EPDG.jpg (74.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 16ab. Cobb Tolstoi.jpg (73.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 17a.Wajo Back Run.jpg (72.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

There are many sides to the hobby, many scammers and charlatans, and many agendas. The great thing about this board is that while it has a lot of positivity about collecting, it doesn't shy away from the unsavory aspects of the hobby. If anything I wish there was more open discussion of the fraudsters. I've occasionally bought some fake stuff in recent years and learned the hard way.
Let's face it, for those dropping thousands on pieces of cardboard, this is not the collecting you did when you were 10 years old riding a bike down the street whistling with cards clipped to the spokes. I welcome all discussions, positive and negative. Short of unfair character assassination of course.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-04-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
my pleasure sir

http://www.t206resource.com/Wagner-Gallery.html

Barry-

as everyone knows, owning a Wagner is my lifes goal(as crazy as it may sound)......I came close as a kid......I dream about it all day long.....hoping one day my dream will come true....

the card you had was gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love them original....the corner missing gives it character to me!!! id take the 1/2 wagner or even the die cut one......

I actually can't imagine how you feel.....it's probably one of the biggest regrets of your life...I am so sorry......if it means anything, you probably had to do what you had to do at the time....I wish you could get another.....and then please iremember me in your will......just having said you had owned one is amazing....you are a true living legend, a legendary card like wagner needs to be with you.....

email me if you ever want to chat, i'll give you my cell.....I will be your support on this one
It's okay that I sold it. I doubled my money in a short period of time, and I needed that money then. If you think about it, anyone who sold any rare card years ago sold it way too soon compared to what it is worth today. We are all in the same boat.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:16 AM

Default Barry

so so true!

this is what I am talking about, a true living legend sir

Jay....I have to check out the podcast.....

btw....HOLY SMOKES!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Rich

You did some serious damage this past year, Jay! Great cards!