NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Hankphenom Hankphenom is offline
Hank Thomas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I read Hank's (hi Hank) piece that he posted here right before it went up. It is a masterpiece. Thanks Hank!!
You're most welcome, Leon. Thanks for Net54.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 AM
JohnP0621 JohnP0621 is offline
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 339
Default Hank

Hank,
I really enjoyed your article. Thanks for sharing.
I met you at the Philly show a while back. It was at Steve Vermans table and I had just finished purchasing 2 cards. I went to the show looking for 2 specific cards a T205 and a T206 of Walter Johnson . To my surprise Steve had both of them in the grade that I was looking for. I decided to purchase both. After the purchase , Steve turned to me and said its a coincidence that you purchased cards of Walter Johnson since the gentlemen standing next to me is his Grandson Hank . We spoke for a moment and you told me about the book that you wrote. Now every time that I look at those cards I have a great memory
Of meeting the Great Walter Johnsons Grandson .

Best Regards
John Perrotta
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Hankphenom Hankphenom is offline
Hank Thomas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP0621 View Post
Hank,
I really enjoyed your article. Thanks for sharing.
I met you at the Philly show a while back. It was at Steve Vermans table and I had just finished purchasing 2 cards. I went to the show looking for 2 specific cards a T205 and a T206 of Walter Johnson . To my surprise Steve had both of them in the grade that I was looking for. I decided to purchase both. After the purchase , Steve turned to me and said its a coincidence that you purchased cards of Walter Johnson since the gentlemen standing next to me is his Grandson Hank . We spoke for a moment and you told me about the book that you wrote. Now every time that I look at those cards I have a great memory
Of meeting the Great Walter Johnsons Grandson .

Best Regards
John Perrotta
Hi John, I remember. Quite the coincidence!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-20-2018, 02:37 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I read Hank's (hi Hank) piece that he posted here right before it went up. It is a masterpiece. Thanks Hank!!
Definitely a post that deserves a spot in the archive.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Jobu's Avatar
Jobu Jobu is offline
Bry@n
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,264
Default

A fantastic post written by a fantastic guy who wrote a fantastic book!

Hank, as you know I loved The Big Train, but I had no idea that you also played a role in preserving and making available these interviews. This is pretty awesome. Thanks for all of your contributions to baseball history and the hobby. Glory and the tapes have been on my to read list for a long time, but they just got bumped to the on deck circle.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Hankphenom Hankphenom is offline
Hank Thomas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
A fantastic post written by a fantastic guy who wrote a fantastic book!

Hank, as you know I loved The Big Train, but I had no idea that you also played a role in preserving and making available these interviews. This is pretty awesome. Thanks for all of your contributions to baseball history and the hobby. Glory and the tapes have been on my to read list for a long time, but they just got bumped to the on deck circle.
Thanks for the kind words, Bryan. Start with the tapes, then you'll have their voices in your head when you read those chapters! Lots more in the book, of course, but they complement each other perfectly. And don't forget the film, which is available on Youtube, it's fabulous, too. That's how I knew Larry had taped his interviews, from seeing Bud Greenspan's film in the early 70s. I had a fantasy for a while of packaging a "Glory" set with all three versions, but now that hard copies of everything are on the way out, it will remain a fantasy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4G0nbtLLeQ

Last edited by Hankphenom; 10-20-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-20-2018, 08:12 PM
ValKehl's Avatar
ValKehl ValKehl is offline
Val Kehl
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manassas, VA (DC suburb)
Posts: 2,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
A fantastic post written by a fantastic guy who wrote a fantastic book!

Hank, as you know I loved The Big Train, but I had no idea that you also played a role in preserving and making available these interviews. This is pretty awesome. Thanks for all of your contributions to baseball history and the hobby. Glory and the tapes have been on my to read list for a long time, but they just got bumped to the on deck circle.
+1. Bryan, you took your words right off of my keyboard!

Hope your Brew Crew comes through tonight!
__________________
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:03 PM
clydepepper's Avatar
clydepepper clydepepper is offline
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 4,804
Default

Hey, Everyone!

Check out my World Series Contest on the Watercooler.

Prizes are Audio CDs of

'The Glory of Their Times'

and

'Babe: The Legend Comes to Life'

Guesses must be posted before first pitch of SECOND WS Game, Wednesday, October 24 @ 8:09 PM ET.

See Watercooler thread for complete rules.
__________________
.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Jackie Robinson


MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nat Hentoff, inspiration for "The Glory of Their Times," dies. Hankphenom Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 01-09-2017 07:11 PM
Nat Hentoff, inspiration for "The Glory of Their Times," dies. Hankphenom Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 1 01-08-2017 09:03 PM
O/T: The movie "Babe Ruth Story" makes "The Greatest Bad Movies of All Time," list WhenItWasAHobby Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 2 08-30-2013 11:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.


ebay GSB