NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-19-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Default Wire Photo Collectors

Posted By: Chris Nerat

Hello board members,
I am in the process of writing a story about wire photos for SCD and I was wondering if any board members who collect them would like to chat with me for the story. It would be a great help.
Thanks. Shoot me an email if you would like to chat.
chris

Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I collect early press photos such George Grantham Bain and Gillimas Press Syndicate etc, which are their earlier forms of Wire Photos (1906-1925 era). You cna e mail me if that fits into your article and I would be happy to help.

Rhys Yeakley
themodo@hotmail.com

Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Similar to Rhys, I collect original photos from the same era. Not sure if this is what your're looking for, but here is an example....

Below is an original Charles Conlon photo of Christy Mathewson, with his Stamp and hand-written notations on the back.

From a much more modern era, I collect original Malcolm Emmons Photos of Hall-of-Fame Players. Emmons was the predominant photographer of the '60s and early '70s, who's work appeared in SI, and on most posters of the era. He had quite a unique, easily-identified style.

Not sure if this helps you much... feel free to email me, if so.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I have been collecting wire photos for many years, and own about 70 or 80 I suppose. Not really sure. I would be glad to chat, via either here, or by phone. There is so much inaccurate info out there regarding these two types of photo processes. Most of mine revolve around, Foxx, Ruth, Gehrig, Williams. etc. etc. let me know if I cane help. I love teaching and helping folks in this area.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Mike...

What are the "two types of photo processes" that you refer to?

Please elaborate if possible, and thanks!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

I need alot of space on here, and time to define what constitues a wire photo and what a news photo is. many collectors of pre WW2 photos don't know the difference, and many quite frankly don't care. And some are just to lazy to learn the difference. But there is a huge difference. I have had many collecotrs tell me, "Aw they're all the same". "Makes no difference to me". On many levels, there are differences. In terms of rarity, value, age, etc. etc. I really think that a phone conversation, or private e mail would be preferable. if you give me your private e mail address I will be glad to help you out.

I am at ozzyzoe@yahoo.com

To elaborate, wire photo technology wasn't invented until 1935. Therefore any photos before that are called newsphotos. A whole diffrent process. E mail me and I will further this issue.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jackson

There's a great resource created by Marshall Fogel, Henry Yee and others which describes the history of sports photography, including, in great detail, the differences between wire and news service photos, as well as Type 1, 2, 3, etc. The book includes scans of varying stamps which you may find on the reverse of either photo type(s) among other things.

Mastronet carries the book. Mine is beaten up pretty good. I refer to it often.

HIGHLY recommended vintage/original photo collectors.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

I agree. the above mentioned book is very good. I own and have since it came out in 2005. Highly recommended. The complexity of photos requires much study. But this book will help folks begin. I have bought many photos from the author Henry Yee. Who is a world expert on the subject

Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator

One more time.....wire photo technology was invented about 1935. Before that it was single shot (news photos) There is no such thing as a wire photo before about 1935. Even the Mile High Feb 13th 2008 Auction Catal. calls any old photo a wire photo. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it is so difficult for people to figure out. It is misleading and wrong. For the most part, wire photos could be made in unlimited quantities very easily. Before 1935 photos were made one at a time, some times they would make copies, but for the most part, photos taken before 1935 are so very very much rarer than 1935 and beyond. Please get that straight ...Some have told me "Awwww it doesn't matter". "I call them all wire photos". That's like saying "Awww there is no difference between a 1956 Topps and a T206, they're all just baseball cards."

Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jack

Right Mike. To quote Henry: "All wire photos are News photos, but not all News photos are wire photos."

Read it a few times and it sinks in.

Too many auction houses have gotten comfortable with labeling News photos as "Wire Photos". I'm pleased when I see an auction that does it right.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

You should contact David Rudd who frequents this board and the baseball card board. He is a great guy, and extremely knowledgable. Here is a link to his site.

http://www.cycleback.com/