NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Alan Florjancic

Default Impact of the MC and/or MK designation

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but generally what type of impact does an MK or an MC designation have on a card's value? I collect mostly the t206s.

For instance, I'm currently scouting a card on eBay, HOF player with a PSA 4 and an MC designation. Nice looking card, being offered about half what the t206insider.com rates its value. Beautiful card, just mis-cut on the back side.

I guess I'm looking for a loose rule of thumb. What do you folks mentally subtract from a card's value with those designations?

I collect mainly for fun and for the history, but I don't necessarily want to grossly overpay for a card that someone down the road will not buy due to those designations....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you all might have...

Alan

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 02-26-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Owen R

If I remember correctly, cards with a MC designation (or any other qualifier) will usually be equal in value to a card two grades below it.

For example a PSA 7 (MC) card will probably be similarly priced to a PSA 5.

However, lower grade cards (PSA 3-4 or lower) with qualifiers will probably be valued closer to a card one grade below them.

For example PSA 3 (MC) would be valued closer to a PSA 2 without any qualifiers.

That's just how I interpret the qualifiers, but a card is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it.

-Owen

Last edited by RaidonCollects; 02-26-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

To me, a qualifier is a qualifier is a qualifier. I avoid them at all costs.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-26-2017, 02:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

I think it also depends on how bad it is?

I have seen OC (off center) cards look barely off center (not sure where they draw the line?) and some, it's a no brainer.

You can always, if you want to brunt the expense, resubmit and ask for no qualifiers, but keep in mind you will loose some grades, usually 2, I believe?

Last edited by irv; 02-26-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Alan Florjancic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidonCollects View Post
That's just how I interpret the qualifiers, but a card is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it.
Truth!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

And on the T206 series, heavy errors are collected anyways, so if it is drastically miscut (like two half backs show), it might be worth more than a regular card of the same grade.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:53 PM
Kyle May

I don't know what it does to a card's value, but similar to how a card can show better than the grade, a card can show better than the qualifier. It's always worth checking each and every card because the qualifier might be a joke, but it could knock a certain card down to a phenomenal price/deal.

That being said, with T206s, I avoid all MK cards (unless it's a date stamp on the back) and most MC cards, especially if the name is cut off.

Use your discretion and don't buy anything you're not comfortable with.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 02-26-2017, 04:17 PM
Jeff

Sometimes miscuts are worth less, but depending on how cool of a miscut the card has it could get a premium price.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Luke Lyon

I published a post about this very topic today on my site. The MC qualifier definitely affects value, but it varies based on eye appeal. I've found over time with selling T206s that collectors as a whole really dislike having some of the name cut off, so those cards definitely take at least a 2 grade hit.

With just a back mis-alignment, I would value is slightly less than a 4, but I know other people would value it much less. I paid about the going rate for a Cycle in PSA 3 for this Schmidt, and feel like I got a great deal because I love the card.

Also sometimes the MC qualifier is given to a card that has a partial name on top, and those can sell for as much or more as a card without the qualifier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schmidt portrait Cycle 350 PSA 3 mc.jpg (78.6 KB, 210 views)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Me, too. I don't own one with a qualifier. Yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
To me, a qualifier is a qualifier is a qualifier. I avoid them at all costs.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:56 PM

Just curious why this card didn't get a qualifier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-...IAAOSw5cNYRJC4
Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Just curious why this card didn't get a qualifier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-...IAAOSw5cNYRJC4
Because all you have to do is check the "no qualifier" box when you submit to PSA and you'll get a lower grade instead of a Q.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 PM
Bry@n

... assuming the grade is high enough to permit a lower grade (a 1.5 with writing on it is a 1.5(MK) whether you want the MK or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
Because all you have to do is check the "no qualifier" box when you submit to PSA and you'll get a lower grade instead of a Q.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
Justin,

Thank you. I only have ever had one card submitted for grading which happened at the National in Atlantic City last year. I don't recall anything about a qualifier, but that's my memory for you.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Archive

Given the subjectiveness and inaccuracies involved with grading, I pay very close attention to MC & MK qualifiers and will buy T206s with them.

I just love buying a T206 with a wet sheet transfer that came from the factory that way and a TPG gives it a MK.

The same can be said about a T206 with an American Beauty back that a TPG labels as MC.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

MK usually worth more as those cards have a habit of being 'improved' and re-submitted versus a MC