NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Grey Flannel still active, as of 9 am East Coast Time

Looks like Gray Flannel is out to break the record for longest extended bidding period on record?

Anyone know what's the record?

They're still running the auction as of 9 am the following morning.

Looks like most of the championship rings (sorry, this is my only solid area of knowledge) did not perform too well except for a Dr. J All Star ring that did very well.

I guess the highlight of the auction is the Babe Ruth Tour of Japan game used cap - it's currently at $252,731 before the final buyer's premium is added.

Last edited by sports-rings; 12-18-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:38 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It finally ended just a couple of minutes after you wrote that. Thanks Grey Flannel, for robbing us of any chance for a decent night's sleep!

For the record, the Joe D. Cap didn't do too poorly either!

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.c...entoryid=33291

Also they might've realized a record price for a 1932 Yankees Ball (not 100% sure, but it's gotta be close..)

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.c...entoryid=32660

Last edited by perezfan; 12-18-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Dave Grob

Default Grey Flannel

I think one of the stronger buys was the Roy Campanella jacket. In my opinion, vintage jackets are among the most undervalued items out there as compared to comparable items of the same player. Jackets were produced in far lesser quantities than the caps and uniforms. Jackets also require a good bit more study and analysis in order to properly date them, or at least establish a more defined time frame than what is typically seen when they come to auction.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Old 12-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Matt

I was outbid at 3 am and was annoyed at myself for sleeping but at 730 the auction was still going so I got to bid again and got this one .. I Rarely buy a glove for myself but might need to keep this for a week or two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.9 KB, 242 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 12-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Joe

That's a decent hammer on that glove, Matt. You did well - beauty!!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Do you think that could hurt them next auction having it run so long.....now you might have people be like oh I can just wait til the morning to bid.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Matt

I don't know if it will hurt them , but I do think there needs to be a limit ... They send out an auction is winding down email at 4:32 and then it runs for a few more hours . Pick an end time and call it a day .. People will still bid
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 12-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Well I would think it could hurt them (granted minimally) but moreso the consignors, if you have bidders who can then just go to sleep wake up and bid.......then their auction ends at 2am/3am then they miss out on the bidders who assumed it would again go into the early morning.

If you know an auction is going to still be going in the morning are you really staying up to 2 or 3 to get a bid in. And granted you don't "know" it, but their next one, I'll have a mental note.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 12-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Dave Grob

Default Auction Dynamics

I’m not sure I understand the current auction dynamic and why so much of what we see is still so much of a vestige from the earliest days of the industry. Back in the day, catalogs were sent out and you actually could and did fill out bid sheets and send them back via mail or fax. You also made use of phone lines. Longer running times and longer lead times almost necessitated this as a matter of practicality.

Now we have the ability to view previews on line, bid on line, and the technology exists to allow for single lots to close. In short, with an advanced ability to preview for some time, why not reduce bidding days to say only 3-4. Many sports memorabilia purchases are emotional decisions anyway, so why give folks more time to talk themselves out of them over a longer period. Would a shorter bidding cycle increase the sense of urgency on the part of collectors or would it give them less time to talk themselves into a purchase?

Collectors love hard copy catalogs to look through; consigners love them as it is reassurance them that someone can see their items, but they are expensive and I’m not sure the cost really helps that much with influencing bidding or consignments as folks are looking for things like cash advances, lowest consignment fees, and proof of performance (prices realized).

Not necessarily looking for an answer to any or all of this, but is what we see in the current sports memorabilia auction really the best way to serve all the various entities (bidders, consigners, auction houses) or is the current dynamic really nothing more than “we’ve always done it that way…”
Please know I am not doing any market research for anyone nor do I have much more to offer on this topic, more along the lines of just thinking out loud…

Dave Grob
Dave Grob1@aol.com
Old 12-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
I think one of the stronger buys was the Roy Campanella jacket. In my opinion, vintage jackets are among the most undervalued items out there as compared to comparable items of the same player. Jackets were produced in far lesser quantities than the caps and uniforms. Jackets also require a good bit more study and analysis in order to properly date them, or at least establish a more defined time frame than what is typically seen when they come to auction.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
I was watching that one with great interest and am SHOCKED at what it went for. Jackets may be rarer (more rare?) but I didn't figure it would go for 3.5x what a game-used glove would go for. I was having a debate with a buddy of mine and thought he was crazy when he said his guess was that it would go for $20k. I was figuring around $15k. I was only a little off. LOL
Old 12-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Default this is nothing new for them....

I guess maybe you guys werent aware (or forgot) but gf's last two december auctions both ended around this same time ie hours after wake-up time on the east coast so around the 9am range. Last years didnt end til around 8:30 am if I remember correctly (I usually make a note of ending times for most auctions when I remember to so I will have to check my records from last december) and two years ago in 2012 it definitely went past 7 am and probably even later than that so I will have to check; that being said, this is nothing new for them.

However, gf's antics pale in comparison to mears' record-breaking ending time of their december 30th 2010 auction which didnt end til at least noon the following day (and it might have been 1 or even later, will have to check); as much as I love mears, that was absolutely ridiculous!!

edited to add: just found the email that troy of mears sent on december 31st, 2010 at 2:32 pm stating the auction (that was supposed to have ended the night before) would end no later than 8pm EST that night; so as of 2:32 in the afternoon it was still taking place and now that I think about it I think it ended sometime around 5pm that evening (so way before the 8pm cut off time lol) but much later than gf's 9ish end time today; maybe this will give gf something to shoot for next year!!

Last edited by bostonmarathonman; 12-18-2014 at 05:46 PM.