NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3L4EZwmRrA

Need to go to about 50 second mark for the "11".....
I listened to the entire thing and realized you meant the 3:50 mark.

http://youtu.be/N3L4EZwmRrA?t=3m46s
Old 11-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Dan--and the reason for that was? Are you suggesting that Bill won the lot and resold all the "valuable" Cornhusker programs himself? BTW, what is a valuable Cornhusker program? One from a game that Bo Pelini isn't ranting and raving on the sidelines, or one from a game where they have beaten the Badgers? LOL
I have no idea what went on there, I just know what the guy told me. And there are several Nebraska programs that bring over $1,000 each...the first game vs Oklahoma will bring more than $5,000...any of the programs vs Notre Dame from the 1920s....just last year on ebay two 1908 programs vs Carlisle each sold for more than $1,500.

Not sure why you felt it necessary to take a dig at the current program, but eh, whatever. Carry on.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Nothing wrong with being 8-2 from the perspective of this disgusted Michigan alum.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Nothing wrong with being 8-2 from the perspective of this disgusted Michigan alum.
I feel your pain...the Callahan years were not pretty. The Big Ten needs Michigan to make a strong comeback.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Tom

Getting back on topic, I thought it was interesting that Mastro and crew were helpful in "finding" Carter's cards, then sold them off in Mastro's auctions. I guess the theft was the thing that put poor Carter over the edge and into the security of Mastro's auctions. I don't think Carter lived a year after getting rid of the cards, not that mattered to Mastro.

Tom Reed

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 11-21-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Selling broke his heart.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-20-2014, 10:26 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Sorry Dan. I'm a Badger fan. I always used to like the Huskers but having Pelini around degrades a great program. I remember class acts on the sideline like Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney. It's a pity to have to see a clown like Pelini there.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Sorry Dan. I'm a Badger fan. I always used to like the Huskers but having Pelini around degrades a great program. I remember class acts on the sideline like Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney. It's a pity to have to see a clown like Pelini there.
Yeah, he definitely has anger issues....he's Bobby Knight without any trophies. Wouldn't mind seeing a new coach here, but it's hard to fire a coach who has never won less than 9 games in every season (7). I would think Badger fans would like to see him stick around.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:25 PM

So when Mastro told me they accidentally lost the EXMT Loudermilk card from the complete set of T207s (during the photo shoot of top cards in the set) I sent for consignment in the mid 2000's I should suspect that they maybe they were fibbing
Old 11-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Could be worse, they might have hired Bobby Petrino. We are still digging out from under that mess at Arkansas...
Old 11-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
So when Mastro told me they accidentally lost the EXMT Loudermilk card from the complete set of T207s (during the photo shoot of top cards in the set) I sent for consignment in the mid 2000's I should suspect that they maybe they were fibbing
Holy smokes...did they make it right with you? Has the card ever resurfaced?
Old 11-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Holy smokes...did they make it right with you? Has the card ever resurfaced?
Yes they reimbursed me for what I thought was the value but I will always think that a high grade T207 set minus Lowdermilk (plus my reimbursed value) would not have sold for the same as a complete set.
The explanation was pretty funky, they figured someone probably knocked it in the trash during the photo process (????) It was a helluva card, red Cycle back.
I later missed the set so much I put together another T207 set and still have it.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Ben Morton

Buckeye alum here, and I agree Michigan should strive to return to its lofty position as the second best program in the Big Ten.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Alex

Quote:
Yes they reimbursed me for what I thought was the value but I will always think that a high grade T207 set minus Lowdermilk (plus my reimbursed value) would not have sold for the same as a complete set.
The explanation was pretty funky, they figured someone probably knocked it in the trash during the photo process (????) It was a helluva card, red Cycle back.
I later missed the set so much I put together another T207 set and still have it.
That is incredibly sketchy story
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
In all the time that has passed since it fell in the garbage can, you would expect the card to show up somewhere if had actually been pocketed. I assume you've had an eye peeled for it.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I was in their office I think in 2005...it would not surprise me that something could get lost in there. I was pretty surprised to see memorabilia just laying around on the floor in piles here there and everywhere. The place was locked up like Fort Knox though so it wasn't like the public could get to it though.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Jeff

Quote:
I was in their office I think in 2005...it would not surprise me that something could get lost in there. I was pretty surprised to see memorabilia just laying around on the floor in piles here there and everywhere. The place was locked up like Fort Knox though so it wasn't like the public could get to it though.
The problem was locked in, not out.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
That is incredibly sketchy story
LOL well, the guy who provided the story stole from everyone he came in contact with, lied to every friend he ever had, cheated on his wife, cooperated with the government against his friends and then obstructed justice. And you think his story might be sketchy?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Richard Simon

Jeff,
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel about Bill Mastro .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Dan--I saw Pelini was fired. It has to be tough getting rid of a guy with a 67-27 coaching record, but I think it is a good move for the program. Hopefully, the next coach will be more like the class coaches from the past (but still lose to the Badgers)

Last edited by oldjudge; 11-30-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Peter Spaeth

Wisconsin football? Oh yeah, they do have a decent fight song. Of course, it can't touch Michigan's.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Does Michigan still have a football team?
Old 11-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Does Michigan still have a football team?
Sadly, no. Lean times in A squared.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Fred

What, nobody likes the Brady Bunch.... or is he getting to be a bit hokey for everybody....

Last edited by Fred; 11-30-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Badgers

I would think that programs from the games where Nebraska has beaten Wisconsin would be quit rare and valuable.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Tom

What happened to Bill Mastro and his cronies? Wasn't the original topic? Was anyone here in this forum scammed by him? Supposedly he did great for the card industry.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Dan--I saw Pelini was fired. It has to be tough getting rid of a guy with a 67-27 coaching record, but I think it is a good move for the program. Hopefully, the next coach will be more like the class coaches from the past (but still lose to the Badgers)
Off the field Pelini was a good guy. Team Jack, his players all graduate, he didn't put up with outlaw behavior like some of our previous coaches. But when he got on the sideline he just lost his mind at times and it was embarrassing.

I guess we have Wisconsin to thank for helping us get rid of Pelini. Our AD cut his teeth under Barry Alvarez too.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:56 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm a U of Wisconsin alum and know that Nebraska has a far more glorious football history than Wisconsin's. Nebraska's is better than Michigan's and Ohio State's.

Last edited by drcy; 11-30-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I'm a U of Wisconsin alum and know that Nebraska has a far more glorious football history than Wisconsin's. Nebraska's is better than Michigan's and Ohio State's.
Educate yourself, lad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michiga...rines_football

Old 11-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Certainly in the last 50 years Nebraska's football history is far superior to Michigan's. Now over the last 125 years it's pretty close to even, but Michigan had an 11 year head start on Nebraska in football.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Certainly in the last 50 years Nebraska's football history is far superior to Michigan's. Now over the last 125 years it's pretty close to even, but Michigan had an 11 year head start on Nebraska in football.
I have a 125 year time frame on most issues. 4-4-1 head to head I believe, btw.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-30-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I go by quality of wins and anything before 1975 really was rugby.

Last edited by drcy; 11-30-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Pete Sycks

If we're talking the history of college football the U of M Gophers have a winning record on pretty much everyone. We dominated in the 30's - 60's. Buckeyes all the way though

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 11-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Scott S

Harvard's national titles in college football will crush most programs if we're talking 125 years here!

Not sure how this derailed into two completely separate threads within one thread, but enjoying both topics....
Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
If we're talking the history of college football the U of M Gophers have a winning record on pretty much everyone. We dominated in the 30's - 60's. Buckeyes all the way though
Dude. Michigan v Minnesota 73-24-3. The Little Brown Jug game, for those not steeped in the tradition.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-30-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Mark Medlin

Default michigan

As a die hard big 8/12 guy (in fact I played at k-state) I find it hard to admit that the tradition of Michigan and Ohio state crushes anything the big 8 could muster. Oklahoma would give them the best run with wilkinson, Switzer and stoops. My .02.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
As a die hard big 8/12 guy (in fact I played at k-state) I find it hard to admit that the tradition of Michigan and Ohio state crushes anything the big 8 could muster. Oklahoma would give them the best run with wilkinson, Switzer and stoops. My .02.
I think I would ignore Nebraska's tradition too if my team only won 15 times in 95 games against them.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
class acts on the sideline like Tom Osborne .
Two words: Lawrence Phillips
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

During periods of past history, Minnesota and Michigan State were national powerhouses. Ebbs and tides.

My dad said when was at Michigan he said they were marginal and he never went to a game. I went to the UW during the Pre-Alverez days, back when they would fight Northwestern for second to last place. The daughter of the former Badger coach Dave McClain was in my high school graduating class. He led the Badgers to a couple of Bowls, but died of a hear attack when his daughter was in h.s.

I have family members who went to Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and Michigan State, and my parents met and were married in Ann Arbor, so I say we're a Big Ten family. I live on the West Coast but follow the Big 10/12 not the Pac 10/12. Just can't acclimate to a league with Arizona State, UCLA and USC. November college football games in 85 degrees seems so unnatural. Gotta have some frost on the ground.

I remember when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would come to Green Bay in December and the Packers would always have the definite home field advantage. I remember Steve Young getting sacked and having a face mask full of snow.

Last edited by drcy; 12-01-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:46 AM
Lonnie Nagel

The greatest thing that ever happened for illegal sports betting - was Tom Osborne who absolutely crushed point spreads and never let up.... It was always amusing to see how Vegas struggled with trying to put a line on a Nebraska game...... those were the days - good times
Old 12-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
The greatest thing that ever happened for illegal sports betting - was Tom Osborne who absolutely crushed point spreads and never let up.... It was always amusing to see how Vegas struggled with trying to put a line on a Nebraska game...... those were the days - good times
Yeah, that was when NU's second and third stringers were better players than most teams first teamers. People always accused Osborne of running it up, but those are people who never watched the games.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 AM
Fred

1984 Orange Bowl. That was a defining moment. Wow, that was a gutsy call by Osborne (even though it went the wrong way).
Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

Neither of my colleges had much in Football.

Northeastern had a team, but I never went. A friend that did says the college was embarrassed by one particular cheer, that being "we beat the spread!" With few wins that had to do.

My other school had no team. They did have basketball, but it was basically the guys who played in the parking lot during lunch. I only learned they were the team after a couple years when I heard them talking about having played against Manute Bol.

As far as I know there wasn't anyone cheating at collectibles either. Maybe at NU, it's a biggish school.

Steve B