NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 AM
Ed McCollum

Default If anybody is pursuing REA lot 373 (1909-1911 T206 White Border Partial Set (379/ ...

I'd be in for a max of $440 for the 11 Howe McCormick stamped cards in the lot. Just let me know. Thanks.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=51961

Ed

Last edited by Howe’s Hunter; 10-20-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Add lot decription to header
Old 10-20-2018, 03:58 AM
Sean Costello

Good luck Ed. I'm sorry that I can't be of any help to you.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:42 AM
Scott Russell

Nice job outing the auction...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
This thread is moved from a BST section (generally the correct place for a thread like this) in hopes the winner will see it and work with Ed on the stamped cards. Good luck, Ed!!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Just a suggestion, Ed, but it might serve you well to also put the lot description in the title as most bidders would not recognize the lot number only. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 AM

Default Ditto

Quote:
I thought I was the only guy who knew about that quiet little auction.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Thanks for the move, Leon

and for the suggestion CW (sorry, I don't know your name).

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=51961

Lot # 373: 1909-1911 T206 White Border Partial Set (379/524)

and buried in the small print near the bottom...

Eleven cards in this partial set have "Howe McCormick" ink stamps on the reverses.

Brian has been kind enough to send me a scan of the eleven cards for my records and none of them were ones I knew of before. Brings the total up to 47 cards with the stamp that I know exist, but aren't in my collection. Hoping the winner of the lot might be willing to work with me on getting these eleven back with the others.

Again, thanks to everyone on the board for all their help with my strange quest.

Ed
Old 10-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Chris

How many are you up to now? Hope whoever wins these gets them into your collection. What’s the story about the ones you don’t have? I’m hoping people are good about selling them to you.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Ed McCollum

Default The rebuilt collection is at 321 now.

There are two available to me at the present time that right now I’m postponing getting to see how this auction turns out.

Of the others, there are 20 I have no idea where they are now. They’ve changed hands several times on eBay and other auctions that I have never been able to contact the new owner. Of those I do know the owner, only two are off limits as they have significant sentimental value to the owners (gift from father who has since passed, very first T206 and they now have almost complete set). Most of the others are expensive and higher condition Hindu backs which are difficult to find equal examples of to complete trades.

There has only been one person who wanted more than $1000 for a poor condition George Mullin card and told me if I didn’t pay he would destroy the card. Told him I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a poor condition card and never heard from him again. Only guessing he really did destroy it when he didn’t get what he wanted.

Everyone else has been great about holding, making arrangements, etc. for which I am very appreciative.

Last edited by Howe’s Hunter; 10-20-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Wrong number
Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
There has only been one person who wanted more than $1000 for a poor condition George Mullin card and told me if I didn’t pay he would destroy the card. Told him I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a poor condition card and never heard from him again. Only guessing he really did destroy it when he didn’t get what he wanted.
Good Lord, really? This person wasn't joking? If not, I think it would be fair and just if you were to reveal this extortionist's name.

Brian
Old 10-20-2018, 09:59 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
There are two available to me at the present time that right now I’m postponing getting to see how this auction turns out.

Of the others, there are 20 I have no idea where they are now. They’ve changed hands several times on eBay and other auctions that I have never been able to contact the new owner. Of those I do know the owner, only two are off limits as they have significant sentimental value to the owners (gift from father who has since passed, very first T206 and they now have almost complete set). Most of the others are expensive and higher condition Hindu backs which are difficult to find equal examples of to complete trades.

Everyone else has been great about holding, making arrangements, etc. for which I am very appreciative.
strange story about threatenng to destroy card when you already have many examples...people would be doing card holders a favor if they destroyed their cards lowering the POP....how is that a threat..sounds like a favor
Old 10-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
strange story about threatenng to destroy card when you already have many examples...people would be doing card holders a favor if they destroyed their cards lowering the POP....how is that a threat..sounds like a favor
Yeah, but the card he destroyed is the only example of Mullin with Howe's stamp.

The guy sounds like a real asshole. Please tell us the name.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:50 PM
Ed McCollum

Default His name was Brandon. Never knew a last name

He contacted me via a blog called BloopSingle.com. Back in 2009, I reached out to the blog to see if anyone that visited might have any Howe-stamped cards. Several weeks later, Brandon emailed me, originally saying he had Howe’s complete set of 525 t206s with the stamp. Then the story changed to he was Howe’s grandson and grandpa had given him hundreds of cards but he had lost most of them. Called BS on that as I knew Howe had no grandchildren then the story changed to he had one card given him by an elderly gentleman who had lived in his apartment complex and he sent a scan of the card. I asked for a photo of the card to prove he really owned it and he sent a photo with the card on a Los Angeles Times newspaper with that days date and appropriate headline in it. And the request for $1,000. Told him no way and offered $60 which was as much as I ever offered.

Over the course of the next year, I’d email about every two or three months and again offer the $60. Approximately a year later he made the threat to destroy the card if I didn’t pay the $1,000. I counter offered the $60 and never heard from him again. Several months later, every email to his address bounced back as no longer being valid or existing.

I still have the scans of the card but have never seen it show up on eBay or anywhere else. The BloopSingle.com website hasn’t been updated since 2012 and my guess is Brandon, and the card, have dropped off the face of the earth.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:48 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
I thought I was the only guy who knew about that quiet little auction.

I hope people realize my post was a joke.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 10-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Chris

You are making fantastic progrsss, and that is awesome that people are good about trading them. Apart from the present from the guy’s father, I can’t see a good reason why anyone should hold on to them rather than trade or sell them. I hope you get them all and complete the set, assuming Howe ever owned a complete set.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Zach

Quote:
I hope people realize my post was a joke.
You should have used the sarcasm font.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Scott Russell

I always use "..." when I'm kidding, but that hasn't caught on.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:45 PM
Val Kehl

Scott, one of my wife's favorite axioms is, "no good deed goes unpunished." Maybe this axiom applies to jokes as well.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:13 PM
Scott Russell

lol. I'm used to it. I worked in comedy for 20 years and two things are guaranteed:

1. Tone is impossible to judge on the internet.

2. No matter how funny you are you are not always as funny as you intend to be!

Old 10-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Val Kehl

So Scott, are you saying that after 20 years in comedy, you gave up and turned to dealing in sports cards? (Sorry Scott, but I just couldn't resist - at age 74, I'm still a SNL wannabe!)
Best,
Val
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
So Scott, are you saying that after 20 years in comedy, you gave up and turned to dealing in sports cards? (Sorry Scott, but I just couldn't resist - at age 74, I'm still a SNL wannabe!)
Best,
Val
It would be funnier if it wasn't more or less true!