NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-27-2017, 08:29 AM
Al Wright

OK. I see the Woodstock albums arrayed in front of the setup. Have you listened to Grace Slick do her "morning maniac music, it's a new dawn" intro yet? Have to say Alvin Lee's "I'm Going Home" has always been my favorite track from on the set.

Your reference to a "rubber band" puzzles me a little. Assuming it's a belt driven turntable, but can't visualize how the drive belt can be disturbed when changing a disc. I'm going to look into it only to quiet my own curosity. Like Ted said, what's important is that you are enjoying it.

The new vinyl issues have been running hot and heavy for a few years now. As a vinyl collector since my early 20's who always took excellent care of stuff I thought I might be able to sell off my 1,000 album collection for a fair amount when the time came. But the market dynamic now is many (not all, as some collectors want original) folks will fork over $30 in a heartbeat for a 180 gram reissue and look at you like your Jesse James if you want $10 for the original.

Keep enjoying!
Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

For those of you interested in vinyl a company issuing new pressings. Henry Rollins (Black Flag, Rollins Band) is involved with them.

soundofvinyl@umusic.com

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 11-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
OK. I see the Woodstock albums arrayed in front of the setup. Have you listened to Grace Slick do her "morning maniac music, it's a new dawn" intro yet? Have to say Alvin Lee's "I'm Going Home" has always been my favorite track from on the set.

Your reference to a "rubber band" puzzles me a little. Assuming it's a belt driven turntable, but can't visualize how the drive belt can be disturbed when changing a disc. I'm going to look into it only to quiet my own curosity. Like Ted said, what's important is that you are enjoying it.

The new vinyl issues have been running hot and heavy for a few years now. As a vinyl collector since my early 20's who always took excellent care of stuff I thought I might be able to sell off my 1,000 album collection for a fair amount when the time came. But the market dynamic now is many (not all, as some collectors want original) folks will fork over $30 in a heartbeat for a 180 gram reissue and look at you like your Jesse James if you want $10 for the original.

Keep enjoying!
There is clearly a line between rare albums, and ones in high demand such as the Beatles and Miles Davis, to name two, and the run-of-the-mill ones that collectors don't care about. Most albums clearly have no value and have long fallen out of favor. But show me a nice early pressing of a Miles Davis album with a six-eye Columbia label and I'll assure you you can sell it for good money. Some of the ones on ebay top $100. There is a strong collector market for the right product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg columbia-us-six-eye-milesdavis-kob.jpg (67.0 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by barrysloate; 11-27-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Al Wright

Barry,

Not a quibble with any of your points. My thought was that sans the re-issues, re-pressings, re-masterings etc. the market for selling original vinyl would be MUCH jucier.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:54 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
Barry,

Not a quibble with any of your points. My thought was that sans the re-issues, re-pressings, re-masterings etc. the market for selling original vinyl would be MUCH jucier.
Reissues have value because they are great for playing. You can listen to a whole album without a skip or a pop. I have a complete run of Rolling Stones albums from 1964-69, and I love them, but I bought all of them when they were issued. Fifty years of playing has taken a toll.

Last edited by barrysloate; 11-28-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:22 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

What ebay sellers of used vinyl should I purchase from?
Larry
Old 11-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Al Wright

Larry,

Just a suggestion not meant to steer you away from your inclinations, but I see you're in Florida. I think you should be able to locate a monthly record show somewhere not too far from you. A good one gives you the advantage of dealing face to face with vendors, developing a business relationship, and allows you to see with your own eyes what you are buying. Google up Second Saturday Record Show (it's in Wayne, NJ) just to give you an idea of what you might find at one near you. There are also brick and mortar stores which run the gamut from real good to not so much depending on where you are and what you want to pay.

I don't do ebay so can't recommend anyone. There is a fairly robust vinyl community on Youtube which you might want to look into (referring to themselves as the vc).

Good luck on the adventure!
Old 12-03-2017, 04:04 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks for all the feedback and tips as I get into collecting records. Yesterday there was a baseball card show in the south part of town, and on the way home I stopped at our local flea market on the hunt for records.
As soon as I entered, a vendor was just stacking up a pile of LPs, he said $2 each with a discount if I bought more. Some were pretty beat up (I left those behind) but others looked to be in pretty fine shape. So I pulled out the best total 14 LPs and he took my offer of a $20 bill.

Jim Croce (Life and Times) looks new
Jim Croce (You Don’t Mess Around With Jim)
Beach Boys (Spirit of America) looks new
Janis Joplin (I got Dem ‘Ol Cosmic Blues Again Mama)
The Monkees (Meet The Monkees)
Creedence Clearwater (Revival)
CCR (Bayou Country)
Bread (The Best Of)
*bonus* Guitar Man LP also in there ?
Bob Dylan (Blond on Blond)
Bob Dylan (Another Side of Bob Dylan)
Grand Funk (Closer To Home)
America (Greatest Hits)
*For some reason I also pulled two Bill Cosby records (Revenge) and (i started out as a child)

After this I had to walk back out to my car to off load lol! I located a record dealer who was set up and talked awhile with him. All his LPs were neatly organized and in plastic covers. One of his customers came up and confirmed the seller was legit and said he was never disappointed in any of his purchases. All his records looked to be in fine shape. I bought two Rolling Stones LPs for $15 (Black and Blue) and (Its Only Rock and Roll), also a Foreigner record (head games) for $6 mint still original plastic with original sales sticker of $6.87
Then he had a 1/2 off stack and I bought all these for $14 total
John Denver (Windsong)
Carpenters (Close To You)
Carpenters (Carpenters)
Jackson Brown (Running on Empty)
The Moody Blues (In Search of the Lost Chord)
Stephen Stills (Manassas)