NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 10-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Dan Bl@u

Default Photo/Scan software that will orient crooked scans?

I have a ton of cards that I want to scan and archive, but it drives me crazy when the cards aren't exactly square when I crop them. So I spent a ton of time trying to orient them exactly straight on the scanner, which is frustrating and time consuming. I'd like to be able to just thrown them on the scanner and then straighten/crop them on the computer, but at the moment I'm just using Paint, which only lets you rotate 90/180 degrees.

Can anyone recommend some basic photo/scan editing software that has a micro-orientation tool that will let you square things up perfectly before you crop them?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Dan Marke1

If you have Windows 10, the Photo program has an editing feature. Click on one of the JPG files and it should open up the Photo program. The Edit Button is one of the icons on the top right (a rectangle with a pencil across it). If you click it, there's a large icon on the top that says "Crop and Rotate". When that opens up you'll see a vertically shaped arc made up with a set of small dots with a large dot in the middle. Run your mouse over that large dot up or down and it will rotate your photo in 1 degree increments.

Good luck!

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 10-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Steve Birmingham

That's good to know. One of the programs on the old computer had a "straighten" function that did pretty much the same, but without indicating the degrees. It also changed the zoom as the straightening happened, so it wasn't all that great. I don't recall what the program was, maybe an earlier version of the current one in Windows?
I had something like five or six photo programs and didn't really like any of them. Individual features were nice but none of them really put it all together.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Dan Bl@u

Thanks for the replies. I tried the Windows 10 photo program, but it didn't work that well for me. I actually found a free program yesterday called Rotation Pilot that will let you rotate to 1/10th of a degree. You can also draw the correct "horizon" using your mouse to drag a line across the bottom edge of the card/slab, and it will automatically rotate the scan to that horizon.

It's a little cumbersome because I have to do the scan, then open it in Rotation Pilot to fix the orientation, and then open in Paint to crop/edit. But, it gets everything completely square and it's a whole lot easier and faster that getting a perfect 90-degree angle on the scanner.