NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Default Pre-War Correction underway?

I collect rare back t206s, and HOFers from 1900-1920(ish), so that’s all I follow and know. But it seems to me that more common, pre-war, HOF cards have recently sold at large discounts compared to what they were selling for before all this Moser/alteration stuff went viral. For example, the Matty dark cap PSA 6 pictured below sold last night for just over $3100, which is much less than any 2018-2019 comp according to VCP; granted there does appear to be small white fleck or paper loss on the chin of this one.

This nice looking card sold for about 33% less than other comps. While my t206 brown Lenox and a pretty t215-1 sold in the most recent PWCC auction for strong prices, those are super rare cards, I noticed that a number of higher graded, pre-war, HOFers sold for similar discounts. I have also seen recent, one-off auctions of solid cards go for well below the past year’s VCP average. For example, a pretty D322 Wagner 1.5 just sold for under $5k (should have been a $6k+ card), a different t206 Matty dark cap PSA 6 recently did not get a minimum bid of $1850 (compare this to VCP averages), a Probstein SGC 6, t206 Cy young portrait just sold for $5,804 (PSA 5s have been selling at an average of $8k), and a fairly rare SGC 3, e92 Croft’s candy a Wagner throwing sold for under $2k (a steal considering these rarely sell and the more common dockman back normally fetches about $1900 in this grade).

So, I have seen indicators that we may be in a correction in prewar. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6048001A-BA8C-4044-B1EE-D6E931BAA227.jpg (5.9 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpg E76768EB-C296-40A4-91AB-91EB9D4F30D2.jpg (8.2 KB, 857 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-21-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Too small a sample to tell whether those were aberrant sales (perhaps due to vacation or similar distractions). Ask again in 6 mos. after hundreds of cards have moved.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-21-2019, 10:39 AM
pete ullman

While I agree with Adam that the sample size is way too small at this point to know if a correction is underway...it would not surprise me in the least if this is the beginning of one. A lot of the younger collectors/investors were paying crazy money for pretty common t206's lately...with the mindset that valuations will just keep going up...and I think some maybe spooked and are selling/leaving the hobby.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 AM
Barry Sloate

Ryan- the sales you cited occurred simultaneous with the revelations of the past several weeks. It would be more interesting to see if in a month or two everything returns to normal. This does need to be tracked over a longer period of time.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Way too little, way too early to tell.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm sure some buyers are a little jittery right now, so we'll see whether things calm down or whether we are in a market correction. I really don't know.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Btw- I could site dozens of other recent examples- I just have better things to do- And I do acknowledge its only been a few weeks, so I’m that regard the temporal period is no doubt short/small. However, I do think there has been an immediate reaction- the real question is whether it’s a anomaly or it becomes a trend.

While the net54 society is small, I do believe it represents a relatively larger pool of prewar baseball collectors than in other areas/genres, and thus the opinions, polls and feelings expressed on this site, if they play out in real life, could have a material impact on prewar. And based on examples from the past few weeks, I do believe that is happening.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm sure some buyers are a little jittery right now, so we'll see whether things calm down or whether we are in a market correction. I really don't know.
I think Barry is right, simply put, people have pumped the brakes somewhat with aggressive bidding (due to being a little "jittery"). Time will tell if a correction will(is) happen(ing). I do think, however, as mentioned above, true rarity will always hold it's value and command strong prices.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 06-22-2019 at 07:55 AM.