NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 PM
Matt

Default Question Re: Reviews & Bumps

Was just having this convo on the phone with a fellow collector; curious as to hobbyists thoughts here...

Hypothetically, you own a card. It is graded X-grade by a TPG. It is worth $1000. You review the card because you firmly believe it is a specimen warranting a higher grade. The review is unsuccessful.

You subsequently sell the card for $1000.

The next owner reviews it at the very same TPG, and the card now becomes a GRADE X+1. He sells it for $250,000.

Now, when the TPG reviews the card and bumps it up, they are in effect saying, "We got it wrong earlier."

Yet the first owner who submitted the card paid that TPG, under the assumption the TPG would indeed get it right. He even gave them a chance to review the card and change their verdict.

In this situation, it seems the original submitter was truly wronged, in that he paid for a service that was performed-- only for the service provider to later say they got it wrong, and now got it right... But this correction in grade benefits a new individual.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 PM
Jeff

It's an opinion, not science. What the real problem would be is if the second submitter got the bump bc of who he/she was - not that that has ever happened.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 08-31-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

No offense, but when does this topic become ridiculous? How can a one grade bump increase the selling price by the amount you reference (249,000). The "collector" that paid that amount is the problem in your scenario. You can never prove to me a science of grading that removes the human variable which is why I don't pay for the grade. I'm the wrong person to respond because I only value tpg's as authenticators. The grading is flawed, the security of the holders are flawed and the pop reports are flawed.

Last edited by Tao_Moko; 08-31-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: "," for"."
Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
No offense, but when does this topic become ridiculous? How can a one grade bump increase the selling price by the amount you reference (249,000). The "collector" that paid that amount is the problem in your scenario. You can never prove to me a science of grading that removes the human variable which is why I don't pay for the grade. I'm the wrong person to respond because I only value tpg's as authenticators. The grading is flawed, the security of the holders are flawed and the pop reports are flawed.
Basically what you're saying is that everything about tpg's is flawed!!
i agree to a certain point,,but for the most part i disagree i think they're
all about controlling the market, and they do a great job at it,,
i was once a dealer at the biggest card show ever (F&S) in the mid/late 90s
and my booth was across the PSA booth from the 1st day they came in til
they left, and i witness some of that controlling first hand.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Many years back, I paid an hourly wage for someone to help me part time on a resale sales project. When a sale made a big profit, he said if something he worked on made a profit he should get a percentage of the return. I said, "I'll agree to give you a percentage of the profits, but only if you agree to be responsible for the same percentage of the losses." He said he'd stick with the hourly wage.

Translation: If you happily accept bumps in grade that financially benefit you, you don't get to complain about bumps in grade that financially hurt you.

Last edited by drcy; 09-01-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

I mostly agree.

The exception would be if they were doing something like just listing stuff that had already been Id'd and lotted but found something special that had been missed. I think then it might be nice for them to get a little something extra.

One time I was at a dealers and got to look at some crds they'd made an offer on but didn't have a solid del yet. When I casually remarked that it was the first time I'd seen 49 Leaf high numbers (what they were called then, despite being mixed in with the regualr ones) There was a bit of surprise shown followed by another look and some consternation. In the end they explained that they'd totally missed the fact that some were the tough ones, and that made the batch worth a lot more so they revised the offer. Apparently everyone else had missed it too.

I got a few nice discounts later on, but not the massively discounted SP that I'd hinted at. I never figured on getting it anyway and didn't push it, and the unexpected discounts later were a pretty nice perk for spotting the SPs.

I like Ebay shopping the big dealers who have people helping them. Lots of nice stuff that slides under the radar, mostly stamps, but it's nice to catch a mislisted BIN now and then.

Steve B