NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default A discussion of the word Vintage

Posted By: George

Could I ask everyone what is the proper criteria or definition for something to be called vintage? I know this is a Pre-War card forum but shop owners and dealers are saying that anything before 1972 is vintage. I have been collecting for about 20 years but have just discovered the real stuff, so I am trying to learn everything I can, before I start buying, like a lot of the posters have said. Thanks to all for all the great ideas, suggestions, and things to watch for. George

Old 09-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Adams

In my opinion, ORIGINAL!!

Even a 1977T Reggie Jax can be a "Vintage" card (as issued by Topps IN 1977). Therefore, a reprint of a 1977T Jax would not be a "Vintage" card if issued anytime after the original production.

Old 09-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Vintage means old. What constitutes being old is in the eye of the beholder. If someone wants to say a 1980 Topps Nolan Ryan is 'vintage' that's fine with me. I do draw a line, and would object if someone called a 1999 card vintage .... Whether or not we should label a 1975 George Brett Rookie is largely a silly argument when the argument gets heated. If you call the card 'modern' it was made in 1975 and if it called 'vintage' it's was made in 1975 ... I've never subscribed to the board definition as vintage being Pre-WWII ... From my personal and subjective perspective, I would call a 1975 Topps George Brett a vintage baseball card. If someone wants to disagree with that, that's okay.

I think that the term 'vintage' is most usuful not as an absolute term, but a relative one. I will say something is 'Vintage 1970s', which simply means "This item is from the 1970s and is not later."

Old 09-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

In general (meaning all forms of memorabilia and collectables), vintage is defined as being 25 years an older and antique 100 years or older. If you subscribe to that definition, an Old Judge is an antique not vintage.

Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

that what defines vintage really depends on the individual. For myself I define my older cards within three distinct categories:

Vintage: any card produced after 1941 thru 1969

Pre-War: any card produced after 1900 thru 1941

19th century: any card produced from 1860's thru 1900

Of course this is just what works for me. I think 100 years for an antique and 25 for vintage is more in tune with what is widely accepted by the collecting majority. When I think vintage,the latest era I generally think of 50's-60's (Mantle,Mays,Aaron era). Of course in this day and age, most collectors follow whatever the price guides tell them and if Beckett or SCD start telling them that the 1970's are part of the vintage era, then it's likely most collectors will start considering the 70's vintage as well.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I found several auctions of items which featured that new "star logo" of theirs.

Old 09-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Many years ago, I read somewhere and then followed the definitions vintage and classic, the former for pre-WWII cards and the latter for cards issued from 1946-1972. It works for me.

In my view, 1972 was the end of an era-- cards issued in series. Both Topps Baseball and Football were issued as one series beginning in 1973, and although they regionally and/or selecctively issued Baseball in several series in 1973, the fact remains all the cards were printed at once, so the use of several series was meaningless. They also started the "in action" craze in 1972 (a few examples can be found in '71), and the following years led to more and more of these shots, and therefore fewer "poses". IMHO, the quality of the photos used for the cards declined in the '70s. Also, I believe the card stock changed as well, and mass production began to take off. For me, then, 1972 seems like a reasonable separation point.

I don't know why the line is drawn on other years--maybe 1969 because it was the end of a decade or the end of nickel packs. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Old 09-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

After 1980, the card wars began, ushering in the modern era.

I'd also go with 1974 as a critical date due to the mono-series issues of that year.

1948 is another watershed year, which would mark the start of the "modern era"