NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Fred

Default ebay feedback as a buyer

As a buyer on ebay I will leave feedback after the seller first leaves feedback. The way I figure this is that if I purchase something and pay promptly then I've completed my part of the obligation if the seller chooses to provide feedback it should be provided at the time payment is received.

Almost all of the time I will not leave feedback first as a buyer unless the seller gave me a good deal on a counter offer. I will leave feedback to the seller if they leave feedback for me first because I feel they went out of their way to provide me with feedback.

I'm just curious know how others feel about leaving feedback first as a buyer.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that SVCARDS (Cleansweep Auctions) left feed back for me within a day of the auctions end (I immediately paid). It's just nice to see a large dealer taking the time to do this.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:50 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Some ebay sellers have automated feedback responses when items are paid for. Not sure if this is what CS does, but I know other sellers do have this.

As a seller, I also leave feedback when items are paid for. Personally, I would not prefer to do this as I think it's better for a seller to leave feedback until after a buyer leaves feedback. The reason is that the buyer may be very difficult such as wanting to return an item even if it were described perfectly with all the large scans needed. Or there may be a credit card chargeback which has happened a couple of times to me. Basically, there can be difficult situations that can arise even after the item has been shipped and delivered.

However, on ebay, you cannot leave negative feedback for buyers. So since you can't do this anyway, what's the point of waiting for feedback from buyers? Better just to leave a generic feedback when they pay and move on. I think this is why ebay does not allow negative feedback to buyers. They don't want to buyers to be afraid to purchase items since they may receive negative feedback which would contribute to a poor shopping experience.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Anthøny N. ex

As a seller I leave feedback as soon as the item is paid for.

As a buyer I leave it as soon as I receive the item. Tells the seller it got there ok and makes it easy for me to keep track of what has been delivered and what hasn't.

I probably get feedback from only 30-40% of the sellers I buy from, but after a certain point does it even matter in the grand scheme of things?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Robert Williams

As a seller I only leave feedback for when I get one. It doesn't matter anyway, as a buyer can only get positives, so the feedback system is a total joke. But, if a buyer leaves me a feedback, then I know everything went well, and I leave one in return. If the buyer doesn't leave one, I assume there is a problem, and I await to see what the problem is. That is just me though. There are many different ways to handle feedback, and none of it really matters anyway.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Al Richter

Default Feedback as buyer only

I am soley a buyer. I leave feedback right after I get the item, unless there is problem with the item ( hardly ever happens). I used to care about getting feedback from the seller and felt it should come first. But now I don't care and understand under the current system why some sellers are hesitant to leave feedback until they know buyer is satisfied. Some buyers do abuse the current feedback system, as did some sellers under the old system.

I always leave feedback, but like Anthony find that some sellers do not. I just do not care anymore

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-09-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
As a buyer on ebay I will leave feedback after the seller first leaves feedback. The way I figure this is that if I purchase something and pay promptly then I've completed my part of the obligation if the seller chooses to provide feedback it should be provided at the time payment is received.

Almost all of the time I will not leave feedback first as a buyer unless the seller gave me a good deal on a counter offer. I will leave feedback to the seller if they leave feedback for me first because I feel they went out of their way to provide me with feedback.

+1 Your approach mirrors mine. Got tired as a seller duteously leaving + FB and getting no response. As they say in the Chinese laundry, "no tickee, no shirtee."
Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
As a buyer I leave it as soon as I receive the item. Tells the seller it got there ok and makes it easy for me to keep track of what has been delivered and what hasn't.
+1

I don't check to see whether FB has been left for me. Like others have said, does it really matter anymore?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Dan Bretta

As a seller I leave feedback immediately after the item is paid for...I have set up to do this automatically. I got tired of buyers constantly questioning why I hadn't left them feedback yet...I used to get behind in doing this because it took a long time to do it all manually when I was selling 200 to 300 items per week.

As a buyer I leave feedback the same day I receive my item...I do not care one way or another if the seller leaves me feedback in return. I have noticed on my purchase history page that almost all sellers leave me feedback...only 3 out of the last 20 sellers have not left me feedback even though I have left it for them...that goes back to November 10.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Ken McMillan

as a buyer, I leave feedback when I receive an item. As a seller, I leave feedback after I have received feedback or after a short amount of time. I used to leave it immediately but had 2 flaky buyers (non sports card related) that abused the feedback system so they ruined it for everyone. One situation was a foreign buyer that was told we do not ship outsied of the USA and they bid anyhow (they are now blocked) and another one was a person that was being difficult and claimed their mother used their account and they wanted a refund even though they had recieved the product.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I think this is why ebay does not allow negative feedback to buyers. They don't want to buyers to be afraid to purchase items since they may receive negative feedback which would contribute to a poor shopping experience.
The real reason is that sellers were holding feedback "hostage" and retaliating with negatives in response to any neutral or negative. It got pretty ridiculous and eBay made the change. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than before.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Arnie

As a buyer, I leave feedback as soon as the card comes in the mail. I dont even look to see if the seller has left me feedback yet.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:18 AM
Jason Stricker

I used to leave positive feedback as soon as I shipped an item. A week or so ago, someone new to Ebay left me negative feedback claiming the card was fake, which it was not. Because I had already left positive feedback, I couldn't counter the claim. And Ebay could care less because they refuse to do anything about it. So my perfect 100% feedback has been tarnished because someone idiot posted false negative information, and Ebay does nothing.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Tom Boblitt

eBay's feedback system is a complete sham. I liken it to the PSA Pop reports now....at one point it could have meant something but with all the changes, it's just a too now. Once they took away the ability of a seller to leave a negative, it really means nothing.

That said......as a seller, I leave feedback after I receive payment. Ultimately, I know I can get burned that way but the buyer fulfilled their part of the bargain. I generally do feedback in batches--both as a seller and buyer--once or so every week or two. I love those people who are champing at the bit to get feedback--even if they have 1000's of feedback......
Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Steve Birmingham

I've mostly ignored feedback on Ebay since it became a one way thing. If I think a seller has done really well with something I might leave feedback and do a few others too. Stuff like packing the item really well or managing to ship the same day when the auction ended at noon - those things I think deserve a bit of extra mention and encouragement especially if the seller is new.

The whole "where's my feedback" thing has always struck me as really needy. Maybe a boutique sort of shop where they thank you for shopping is ok, but I don't really see it as a necessary part of a normal customer/seller interaction.

Buy stuff at -----Target? Wal-Mart? and then stand there waiting for them to comment positively. "Entered PIN promptly A++++"
Sorry, that's just not happening. So why expect it on Ebay?

Steve B
Old 01-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
I used to leave positive feedback as soon as I shipped an item. A week or so ago, someone new to Ebay left me negative feedback claiming the card was fake, which it was not. Because I had already left positive feedback, I couldn't counter the claim. And Ebay could care less because they refuse to do anything about it. So my perfect 100% feedback has been tarnished because someone idiot posted false negative information, and Ebay does nothing.
had the same thing happen to me
Old 01-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Fred

I guess I don't understand why ebay took away the ability of a seller to leave a negative feedback. If the buyer pays promptly for an item then they should be provided positive feedback. If the buyer is a non-performing bidder then the seller should be able to post negative feedback to let everyone know that this bidder may be someone they don't want bidding on their auction.

As I indicated before, I'll spend a little time providing positive feedback to a seller if they took the time to do it for me. Also, if the seller uses an autofeedback application, then to me the seller has at least made an effort to do the right thing (as far as feedback is concerned). I don't think that further feedback does any good for me because I have over 500 transactions that are all positive. However, if I was just starting on fleabay then I'd rather have a decent feedback rating if I was planning to sell items.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Al Richter

Default Sellers

I think they did it because many buyers were reluctant to leave neutral or negative feedback for sellers, even if it was clearly warranted, for fear of retaliatory negative feedback, even if not warranted. In those days sellers often waited to give feedback until after the buyer left feedback, in effect holding the feedback as hostage.

As a buyer only I admit the system is now severely stacked against sellers and I know many good sellers who have stopped selling on ebay as a result.

As I stated before, I now give positive feedback as soon as I get the item. I never even look to see what if any feedback the seller leaves me

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-09-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:04 PM
John Startleman

It will never make sense for a buyer to not leave feedback after receiving their item and being either satisfied or dissatisfied with it. Any other reason not to is just laziness or pettiness.

Last edited by sportscardtheory; 01-09-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that SVCARDS (Cleansweep Auctions) left feed back for me within a day of the auctions end (I immediately paid). It's just nice to see a large dealer taking the time to do this.
You say the seller should leave feedback immediately because YOU have fulfilled the obligation? But you won't leave feedback immediately after receiving the item if you haven't gotten a positive already? I say, "Hypocrite to you!" If you feel feedback is a must after the job is successful, you'd leave feedback no matter what the seller does. Anything otherwise is showing you don't hold yourself to the same standards as you hold your sellers.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Larry More.y

To me, feedback receiving is really more of an emotional thing.....as a buyer, I could absolutely care less if the seller leaves me feedback or not. On my end as a buyer, my only expectation is that incoming items are as described and delivered in a reasonable time frame. The seller will know that I am thankful/pleased if I am a return customer. Though I buy more than I sell, as a seller, I have my automated feedback settings set to reciprocate feedback. If a buyer has the emotional need for feedback, once they leave feedback, it will be reciprocated and hopefully their emotional needs fulfilled.

Personally I find it ridiculous for buyers to judge the quality a seller by whether or not they leave feedback first....to me, a seller's primary obligation is to deliver an as advertised item in a safe and timely fashion with a distant secondary obligation of fulfilling a buyers emotional feedback needs via feedback. Sellers should be judged by their primary obligation, IMO.

Sometimes I wish feedback would go away.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

As a seller and buyer, I go in to ebay about once a month and leave feedback for all transactions I need to leave feedback for - everyone gets positive and high marks unless there is something really stupid going on, and even then I have to remember it, and there's little chance of that.

I don't care who leaves it first, last or in-between.

3938 left for others vs 3306 left for me. Therefore I feel no guilt.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Fred

Ken,

I'm not sure how it makes me a hypocrite because I generally won't leave feedback unless the seller first leaves it for me. Perhaps you could enlighten me of the definition of hypocrite that describes my feedback principals.

Bottom line is that the buyer has to pay for his auction winnings before the item ships. Since the buyer pays for it first then (IMO) they've completed their part of the obligation (seller should leave feedback).

In my case, after I receive the item then I can leave feedback, however if the seller isn't going to show (what I believe is common courtesy of acknowledging the prompt payment) then I'm not going to waste my time with providing my feedback. Does that seem petty? Perhaps, but not hypocritical.

Scott,

I feel no guilt!

Last edited by Fred; 01-10-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Ken,

I'm not sure how it makes me a hypocrite because I generally won't leave feedback unless the seller first leaves it for me. Perhaps you could enlighten me of the definition of hypocrite that describes my feedback principals.

Bottom line is that the buyer has to pay for his auction winnings before the item ships. Since the buyer pays for it first then (IMO) they've completed their part of the obligation (seller should leave feedback).

In my case, after I receive the item then I can leave feedback, however if the seller isn't going to show (what I believe is common courtesy of acknowledging the prompt payment) then I'm not going to waste my time with providing my feedback. Does that seem petty? Perhaps, but not hypocritical.

Scott,

I feel no guilt!
Personally I don't care who leaves it first; however, it's easy to play 'devils advocate' with your reasoning: feedback is meant to indicate that the entire transaction was successful. As a seller I have no idea how to rate a transaction that isn't yet complete - paying me doesn't end the transaction, just as communication doesn't end once I've spoken. Until the person who is listening indicates that they heard me as intended, I haven't communicated.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
As a seller and buyer, I go in to ebay about once a month and leave feedback for all transactions I need to leave feedback for - everyone gets positive and high marks unless there is something really stupid going on, and even then I have to remember it, and there's little chance of that.

I don't care who leaves it first, last or in-between.

3938 left for others vs 3306 left for me. Therefore I feel no guilt.
I have never looked at the feedback left number before. I have left 23,531 feedbacks and only received 14,735 in return. There are a ton of buyers who just don't leave feedback.

edited to add: Scratch that number above, I have received 18,697 but my feedback score is 14,735. I forgot ebay doesn't count multiple feedback from the same buyer.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 01-10-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:

I feel no guilt!
Feedback should not be made until the transaction is complete to the satisfaction of both parties. That would be on the buyer after receipt. Anything else is petty.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Feedback should not be made until the transaction is complete to the satisfaction of both parties. That would be on the buyer after receipt. Anything else is petty.
Absolutely +1
Old 01-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Al Richter

Default Feedback

Bull shit
Old 01-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Ken,

Scott,

I feel no guilt!
You said that if you pay promptly, you have completed your obligations, therefore the seller should leave feedback. Feedback should be left because one party (you) has completed their obligation. When you get the item, and I'm assuming you are talking transactions where you are happy with all aspects of receiving the item, then, according to your beliefs, feedback should be left because one party (seller) has completed their obligation. So why don't you automatically leave the feedback?

When people have standards that say what's good for the goose but not the gander, with all things being equal, well, I say that's hypocritical.

If you are a believer of common courtesy, why don't you go first??

And for the record, when I sell, I don't provide feedback until I know the transaction is good. A completed deal happens when both parties are satisfied.

Last edited by earlywynnfan; 01-10-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
A completed deal happens when both parties are satisfied.
Absolutely. Buyer needs to confirm the transaction is complete.

That being said, I can't believe anyone gives a damn about feedback. In my first 4 years on Ebay i got to 600. 9 years later I am still under 700 and don't care, and don't know why I should care.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:42 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Absolutely. Buyer needs to confirm the transaction is complete.

That being said, I can't believe anyone gives a damn about feedback. In my first 4 years on Ebay i got to 600. 9 years later I am still under 700 and don't care, and don't know why I should care.

+1

Once you get to a respectable feedback number...for some reason it was 1000 for me, but 100 will do, feedback is pretty irrelevant after that point. The only reason it should matter is when you're first starting out and you need those positive comments and a stacked feedback score to let sellers and buyers you are trustworthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-11-2015, 05:46 AM
Fred

Since I have a principaled approach and I follow my principal, it's not hypocritical.

Quote:
I guess I'm not following this. There are two parts to a transaction. The buyers part is complete when the item is paid for. In most cases (99.9%) that part of the transaction is completed before the seller sends the item. What else is the buyer obligated to do? Receiving the item is not part of the obligation of the buyer, that's the buyers "right" after paying for the item.

I guess the feedback system could be better if everyone wasn't so paranoid of getting screwed over.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Michael

Quote:
There are two parts to a transaction.
Correct.

The seller's part is not complete until the buyer says they are satisfied with the transaction. If the seller thinks their part is complete as soon as they ship the item, then when a buyer complains about the item, the seller can simply sit back and say, "Sorry, but my part of the transaction is complete. There's nothing I have to do. You're on your own."

Quote:
The buyers part is complete when the item is paid for.
Incorrect.

The buyer's part is complete when he/she acknowledges receipt of the item and that they are satisfied with the item. Only then is the transaction completely complete.

I've never sold anything on ebay but I do know (based on reading many complaints from sellers) that sellers have to be on pins and needles about the transaction until the buyer has said everything is fine.

As a buyer, my feedback doesn't matter to me. As long as the seller doesn't block buyers with a feedback at my level (which at this point is inconceivable), my feedback doesn't matter. As a seller, I would want a high positive feedback since buyers would feel more comfortable and be more willing to place higher bids.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Bull shit
Succinct and to the point. And one reason we don't have it on the board, we don't need it. If you can see our BST it means you are registered. Due diligence should always be done with trading partners.

I do as Scott F does, I leave feedback every month or so and don't care if I get it or not. I am almost solely a buyer on ebay. I only ever look at feedback to get an indicator of experience and to make sure there isn't a red flag. Over 15 yrs on ebay and no negs or neutrals (even when buyers could get negs). It's not really a big deal.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Ben North

I usually never leave feedback anymore and don't care if I get it. I do however leave feedback for new sellers/buyers to help them out.

I have been on eBay since very close to the beginning and have been really lucky and have never received 1 bad feedback and have only had to leave negative feedback 1 time, Kruk Cards and I will never buy a damn thing from them again.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I do not leave feedback since the system was stacked. I refuse to play that game. Plus I am just really lazy...

If someone trolls for feedback on a deal I send them a response stating that I no longer participate in feedback owing to the sham it has become.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-11-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

[QUOTE=Fred;1365287]Since I have a principaled approach and I follow my principal, it's not hypocritical. QUOTE]

Then I guess, IMHO, your principles are out of whack.

You EXPECT sellers to do something.
You, the buyer, do NOT do what you expect from the seller.
You have a higher standard for the seller than you have for yourself.

To top it off, you come on a public forum to complain about sellers who do EXACTLY what you do: not leave feedback when the agreement has been fulfilled!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Fred

Really Ken? Out of whack? I stated the way I use the feedback system and I'm a "hypocrite" and now "out of whack". I'm sure you can come up with other terms - go ahead, "make your day".
Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Sorry, but I really don't get the point of waiting for a seller to provide feedback first. IMO, it is a waste of time, since it requires checking on something that doesn't much matter. Maybe that's why some see this as petty.

As a buyer, once you get over so many feedbacks (as others have noted), additional ones don't really mean anything. But at the same time, I'm not a "problem buyer" either, so my buyer feedbacks aren't impacted by the fact that a seller can't leave me negative feedback anyway. As soon as the item arrives and I'm happy with it, I leave appropriate positive feedback to the seller. At this point, I really don't care whether the seller leaves me feedback or not.

Bottom line, it all depends on your perspective. If you sell more than buy, you notice all the a-hole buyers. If you buy more than sell, you notice all the a-hole sellers.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Really Ken? Out of whack? I stated the way I use the feedback system and I'm a "hypocrite" and now "out of whack". I'm sure you can come up with other terms - go ahead, "make your day".
Sorry, but you asked for our opinions.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Sorry, but I really don't get the point of waiting for a seller to provide feedback first. IMO, it is a waste of time, since it requires checking on something that doesn't much matter.
So true. Unless, when doing the monthly feedback chore, I specifically remember some squirrelly behavior, I just leave positive and get it over with as soon as possible so that I can do something more important, like respond to posts here that relate to leaving feedback on ebay.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Al Richter

Default Exception

As I mentioned, I am a buyer only and almost always leave feedback, and do so right after I get the item, regardless of whether the seller leaves me feedback or not. I said almost always because the only times I do not leave feedback at all is when the seller sends a note with the order or just after I pay, that says they will gladly leave me positive feedback after I leave it for them. For some reason that annoys me enough to just skip the feedback altogether
Old 01-11-2015, 03:42 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
...so that I can do something more important, like respond to posts here that relate to leaving feedback on ebay.
LOL. Yep! I realized the irony of my own post as I was typing it as well.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:24 PM

I agree with this post as a buyer and a seller. As a seller I leave my buyers feedback as soon as they pay, their obligation has been fulfilled at that point.

As a buyer, I naturally leave feedback after I have received the item.

There is no good reason for a seller to hold back leaving feedback for a buyer because they can no longer leave retaliatory negative fraudulent feedback any more.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
I agree with this post as a buyer and a seller. As a seller I leave my buyers feedback as soon as they pay, their obligation has been fulfilled at that point.

As a buyer, I naturally leave feedback after I have received the item.

There is no good reason for a seller to hold back leaving feedback for a buyer because they can no longer leave retaliatory negative fraudulent feedback any more.

This is exactly what I do and have had no issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Most are over-thinking this. Protect yourself from negatives using whatever techniques work for you, but other than that, unless you are OCD, it just isn't that important.