NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Scott

I don't know. A decade has past since the last committee convened. At that time they had whittled a list of 39 names down to the final 17 (and five of those people never even PLAYED baseball).

If the HOF could ultimately induct Ron Santo after all those rejections, slights, and overlooking, perhaps Cooperstown will at least revisit those other 22 Negro Leaguers who almost made the final cut, like Dick Lundy, Oliver Marcelle, Alejendro Oms, Dobie Moore, John Donaldson, John Beckwith, Grant (Home Run) Johnson, etc.

Last edited by Scocs; 08-03-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
I don't know. A decade has past since the last committee convened. At that time they had whittled a list of 39 names down to the final 17 (and five of those people never even PLAYED baseball).

If the HOF could ultimately induct Ron Santo after all those rejections, slights, and overlooking, perhaps Cooperstown will at least revisit those other 22 Negro Leaguers who almost made the final cut, like Dick Lundy, Oliver Marcelle, Alejendro Oms, Dobie Moore, John Donaldson, John Beckwith, Grant (Home Run) Johnson, etc.
To some extent this is how the hall gets in trouble with the idea that you can only let so many people in for a particular year. If Dick Lundy isn't a hofer in 2006 how does he become one in 2017. The hall has to stop being afraid. To just put in a ton of people if such is warranted. I understand that this is done in part because they want market the induction weekends but all it really does is lead to arguments about who should be in. I also wonder to what extent we should apply new sabrrmetrics to old players. It's the hall of fame and I think there is an argument that we should recognize those who were reconginzed at their time.
If we look back we now can say that players like Maxie bishop who drew huge Numbers of walks before we valued them were really good players, but does that make them a Hofer. Does that mean we should take out the players who we can now look at and say that hey were actually pretty average players i.e. Fred Linstrom
Old 08-03-2017, 03:07 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:

If the HOF could ultimately induct Ron Santo .
That committee had a former Cubs Beat Writer, Cubs Manager and Cubs HOF Player on it to push his campaign-plus no Joe Morgan

Seriously, if these committees can't get Marvin Miller in, who has had countless supporters on the committee, I don't know how they are going to get a long deceased Negro League player in with the current format. Honestly, if I had to bet on one person getting in, it would be Buck O'neil-since the 2006 committee had an entirely different makeup than the committees today (2006 were all Historians) plus he served on all the older veterans committees until their disbandment in 2001. I bet his name never came up since he was on the committee. IE-He never got a realm chance under the current makeup which was similar to now, where as all other Negro Leaguers did. Plus he also received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and other countless awards and recognition that 2020 members were alive to see. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by tazdmb; 08-03-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Well, technically, Buck O'Neil IS in the HOF. He has an award named for him, and was the first recipient of, the Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award (not to mention the statue of him at the hall). I treat him no less than the sports writers or the announcers that are enshrined with their respective awards. I'd take a statue and an award named after me over a little plaque any day of the week. LOL
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

[QUOTE=tazdmb;1686826]plus no Joe Morgan

Agreed 100%
Old 08-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Josh Adams

Spottswood Poles deserves a place in the Hall of Fame, perhaps the best player nobody has heard of. (not counting the people on this forum).
Old 08-03-2017, 08:55 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post
Spottswood Poles deserves a place in the Hall of Fame, perhaps the best player nobody has heard of. (not counting the people on this forum).
Spottswood Poles was a great player. But he probably ranks at least 8th on my list of folks in the Negro Leagues who should go into the HOF, probably lower if I sat down and thought about it. In my estimation, some the ones above him should simply walk in as no-brainers. But that's just me. In terms of Negro League outfielders, I would personally vote for Hurley McNair before I voted for Poles.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Spottswood Poles was a great player. But he probably ranks at least 8th on my list of folks in the Negro Leagues who should go into the HOF, probably lower if I sat down and thought about it. In my estimation, some the ones above him should simply walk in as no-brainers. But that's just me. In terms of Negro League outfielders, I would personally vote for Hurley McNair before I voted for Poles.
I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the NL but I have never heard of Hurley McNair - anyone in the same situation needs to read the br bulletins article on him. Amazing guy turns 30 and then basically hits 350 for the next decade - thanks for the info Kenny
Old 08-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Kenny Cole

I used to have this Spottswood Poles postcard which I really regret giving up, although the deal was such that I couldn't pass it up. The only one I have ever seen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 circa 1910 Spottswood Poles RPPC.jpg (73.8 KB, 496 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Al Jurgela

Default All Great choices....

Quote:

All Great choices....
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 07-08-2019, 05:32 PM

“Coimbre could not be pitched to. No one gave me more trouble than anyone I ever faced, including Josh Gibson and Ted Williams,”

- Satchel Paige

Old 07-08-2019, 06:40 PM

Default Oms

A would give a strong vote form Alejandro Oms. I don’t think most know just how good he was. Below I have put his 162 game pace to give some idea of his greatness. Negro league stats from seamheads. Cuban from Beisbol Cubano 1955. Also you have to consider these numbers are over a long Career that went from the 1920-1940’s.

Negro League
327 ba
37 doubles
10 triples
909 Ops

Cuban
351 ba
47 doubles
17 triples
360 total base
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2F89667-405C-414D-83EA-0AE4D106C3D5.jpg (19.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 0644432B-2611-4A36-8319-E9D24E3CEB43.jpg (17.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Phil Garry

Here's my Top 10 choices straight out of my Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide:

1. Dick "Cannonball" Redding
2. Grant "Home Run" Johnson
3. Dick Lundy
4. Alejandro Oms
5. Oliver Marcelle
6. Spotswood Poles
7. Bruce Petway
8. Charles Grant
9. John Donaldson
10. Nip Winters

Other notables include: Buck O'Neill, John Beckwith, Gus Greenlee & Ed Bolden, quite possibly the most deserving non-player out there.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:29 PM

This is a great thread. I enjoyed reading peoples opinions. I hope more Negro Leagures make it in the Hall in 2020. There certainly are more that are deserving in my opinion. In no particular order;Newt Allen, Chet Brewer, Alejandro Oms, Buck O' Neil, Dick " Cannonball" Redding, Oliver Mercelle, among others....
Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Agreed: This is a good thread.

However, I still want three Cubans- Minoso, Tiant and Oliva in before anyone else.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Agreed: This is a good thread.

However, I still want three Cubans- Minoso, Tiant and Oliva in before anyone else.
None of them will ever get in via the Negro Leagues. Only Minoso ever even played in anything approaching that. They are all a completely different discussion. Whatever the newly-named committee with jurisdiction over the '60's gets to decide on them, and they are nearly as screwed as the folks from the Negro Leagues IMO.