NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2003, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Default 19th Century Base Ball Prize Ribbon

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Hi everyone,

I won this neat item at auction on ebay back in April. I have tried to find any info I can on it, but thus far I've come up empty. I'll give a description of it below.

The ribbon is made of a silk-like, shiny fabric that is golden yellow in color. The text on front is blue. the text reads: " South End Base Ball and Social Club Committee". There is nothing on the back. The ends have an even fraying or frill. I know that there is a South End in Boston and I think one in Philadelphia. I deduced from the style of the text that the ribbon may from the 1890's period, however I'm not sure. I won the ribbon for just under 50.00. Any info or opinion anyone may have regarding this ribbon's possible geographical point of origin, period it was made or value would be greatly appreciated. I have searched all over the web for info on 19th century baseball ribbons and the "South End Base Ball and Social Club Committee" and found basically no information of any kind.

*I had some difficulty uploading a scan for some reason, so I included the ebay link of this for anyone who'd like to view an image of it.

LINK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=403&item=3605105214

Thanks,
Adam

Old 07-13-2003, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I can't offer you any info other than concur that the lettering and font looks to be from the 1890s/turn of the century. I can almost promise you that if you find out where it's from (which obviously is your question in the first place) that it will sell for much higher than your buy price.

Old 07-13-2003, 02:17 AM
Administrator

It may be of your interest to know that during the time period of your silk, the Boston Braves played at the 'South End Grounds.'

Old 07-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter thomas

hello:

I'm origionally from Boston and I am quite sure this club was in Boston. South End was natural land bridge to mainland from Boston before Back Bay was filled before and after the civil war.

Old 07-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I've lived in the Massachusetts all my life and I too believe that this ribbon is probably from the Boston area. The South End grounds actually came to mind when I first saw it. I've searched everywhere for some info, but nothing yet on this. Maybe a member of SABR who frequents the forum might know something about this or someone else who does? I had given thought to putting this silk up for auction on ebay, But I agree with David that the more info I have on it, the more valuable it could be. In the end it may be better for me to consign it for auction, If an auction house would sell it, rather to try and sell it myself.

I would like to know if anyone has an idea as to the ballpark value on an item like this with or without the info? I haven't seen many 19th century ribbons come up for auction, so value or a potential selling price are a mystery to me. I know that it probably is incomplete as it has no pin on the reverse, but I think it's pretty decent conditon wise. Any thoughts or opinions would be surely appreciated. Thanks all and for anyone going to the National... Have fun!

Old 07-22-2003, 01:31 AM
Administrator

The ribbon didn't neccesarily have a large button or such at the top, as many old silk ribbons had a simple pin/needle on the back.

I would not dare to predict a specific auction or sale price, as I likely would be off. However, I beleive it's somewhere between what you hope its worth and what you paid. Which, in the scheme of things, is a fair compromise.