NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2024, 05:47 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I have found that certain "common" cards are still extremely difficult to find with desirable attributes. That can make the hunt fun and frustrating at the same time.
Not prewar, but I see about 20 ugly Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver rookie cards for every nice one. I think it's about the same with Bill Russell.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:42 PM

Default Rare cards that aren't rare

Just checking Fleabay and one of the first T206 to pop up was Bill Bradley
with Bat PSA 2.5. The header for the card, which isn't an auction at all but
a Buy It Now, states "rare Polar Bear backing". Nice card? Looks like it. Rare?
Not even close, only Piedmonts and SCaps (most versions) are more common.
I've got plenty of those and love the cards, but "rare" doesn't apply.

Trent King

Last edited by ClementeFanOh; 03-21-2024 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:29 PM

I thought we were going to talk about the T207 Lowdermilk or the E90-1 Mitchell...
Old 03-25-2024, 12:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

1933 Goudey Lajoie isn't that rare. I have seen this card labeled as rare too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I think everybody should picture or name a card they think is truly rare and let us take shots at it one way or another. Here's one: WaJo Washington Times. I'd like to see somebody argue with that.
I like this idea above. No one will argue with that Washington Times WAJO....

or this one (I know it's one of your fave poses...) The proof is nicer looking but this is a widely collected format, a postcard. I am sure there have to be others but so far it's the only baseball player I have seen from the set, in a postcard. I guess something happended and they never got marketed much.

Last edited by Leon; 03-25-2024 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:36 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
I think everybody should picture or name a card they think is truly rare and let us take shots at it one way or another. Here's one: WaJo Washington Times. I'd like to see somebody argue with that.
I'd say this one is truly rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W514 Cruso.jpg (194.2 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 03-25-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:47 PM
Fred

I think this is post 3K for me.

Here's the PSA pop report results for the 1952 Topps Mantle

Grade Pop
10 -- 3
9 -- 6
8 -- 35
7 -- 77
6 -- 123
5 -- 178
4 -- 208
3 -- 196
2 -- 219
1.5 -- 84
1 -- 344
A -- 191

Total 1664

I'm going to guess that most would agree that's not rare. It would be interesting to see if someone did a deep dive on the 1952 Topps population report as a whole. My guess is that the Mantle will have a pretty high population in relationship to other 1952 Topps because more people will have the Mantle slabbed than Joe Schmuck.

The PSA pop of Mantles doesn't account for other TPGs pop numbers or raw cards. I'm going to go out on limb and guess that PSA has graded a majority of the 52T cards that have slabbed.

For another card listed as scarce is the T201 with Dougherty/Lord. That seems to be a mistake because there are plenty of them available. Another that is listed as scarce (but doesn't seem to exist) is the N162 Dunlop with a Pittsburgh team designation.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:29 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Rare dose not equal valuable. And that is fine by me, I cannot afford to collect valuable Baseball cards so I am happy to collect some rare ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240325_192340.jpg (214.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 20240325_192354.jpg (126.2 KB, 154 views)
Old 03-25-2024, 07:58 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Two that instantly come to mind are the Ted Williams 1954 Bowman and card #58 (Ted Signs) in the '59 Fleer set. They have been considered rare for decades, but really aren't. Heck, even the T206 green portrait Ty Cobb card isn't much scarcer than its "Bat-On" variation counterpart, but there sure is a ton of demand for that one compared to the red portrait.

Last edited by robw1959; 03-25-2024 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:38 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
… If you don't have the cash, it's pretty darned rare.
Great line.

My contribution. There’s exactly one in PSGCA combined. There’s at least one other in existence, but this is the only graded example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-26-2024, 04:32 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Also worth considering is that there are different flavors of rarity and scarcity. In addition to print runs or pop report grades, there's also eye appeal, which is something I focus on. Some cards are nearly impossible to find centered and when those surface at auction, they can fetch prices that have people who aren't in the know calling them "obviously shilled" despite the sales being very much legitimate.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:24 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
1933 Goudey Lajoie isn't that rare. I have seen this card labeled as rare too...I like this idea above. No one will argue with that Washington Times WAJO....or this one (I know it's one of your fave poses...) The proof is nicer looking but this is a widely collected format, a postcard. I am sure there have to be others but so far it's the only baseball player I have seen from the set, in a postcard. I guess something happended and they never got marketed much.
Two questions, Leon: What's with the 1.5 on your Cobb, and is that Barr-Farnham WaJo the only P/C version you've seen? I know you have the booklet of proof photos--have or seen any other P/Cs from that set?
Old 03-26-2024, 09:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Two questions, Leon: What's with the 1.5 on your Cobb, and is that Barr-Farnham WaJo the only P/C version you've seen? I know you have the booklet of proof photos--have or seen any other P/Cs from that set?
Hi Hank
I have had that 1.5 for a while and shown it many times. You probably just don't remember ... My memory is getting so poor it's not funny ...(another story for another day) It has spider wrinkling on the front, next to both sides of his face. That's it. Funny quick story, told before also. I made a deal with an ebayer for that card as a BIN, from an already being sold card. He put the BIN up and someone else bought it in less than a freaking minute (it seemed). He said he had to sell to them but they sounded flaky. The next morning he told me the buyer reneged and I got it for my $2150 offer.

That is the only Farr-Barnham baseball postcard I have seen. It was listed in an auction without that acknolwedgment. Then it was pulled and run again with the additional info. I reckon that cost me about $1000 dollars extra, but still well worth it to me.

There are other Farr Barnham postcards...but not baseball. My guess is more baseball ones will be found though (or I just haven't seen them and they are out here already).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barr.jpg (199.7 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-26-2024 at 09:50 AM.