NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 AM

Default Itpc sports memorabilia auction is now open for bidding!

Inside the Park Collectibles latest Sports Memorabilia Auction is now open for bidding and will close on Friday June 21, 2013. There are 300 quality lots - all being offered with our usual No Buyer's Premium and No Hidden Reserves policies in effect. As with all our auctions, there is a heavy emphasis on vintage display type memorabilia.
This auction features many autographed pieces including single signed baseballs of Hall of Fame greats, posters, photos, magazines ,limited edition statues and more. There are also a number of very rare vintage statues including original Kail baseball & football statues and the extremely scarce Hartland Yoo-Hoo ash trays of Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra.
One of the staples of ITPC auctions is our signature selection of vintage Bobbing Head dolls. This auction is no exception with over 40 lots of rare dolls from the 60's baseball, football and NHL series. The highlights include the super rare Anaheim Angels mini, the Umpire, the green & gold Kansas City Athletics and the complete 1962 NHL Square base series.
This auction also features an incredible array of "oddball type" memorabilia typically not seen in other auctions. The lists includes a complete set of 1956 Dairy Queen statuettes, Carter-Hoffman wood carved college mascots, baseball & football banks, sports glassware, pennants, pins, historic programs and ticket stubs, wire photos and much, much more.
To view the auction, register and bid Online - please visit our web site at: www.insidetheparkcollectibles.com .

Thanks!
Lou & John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28WSTICK1.jpg (47.3 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg 42NFLCHAMPS1.jpg (57.2 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg AUTOMANTLEBALL1.jpg (64.2 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg BBTROPHY1.jpg (63.5 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg CHKENTUCKY1.jpg (66.0 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg DQMANTLE1.jpg (34.7 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg GLASSWHITESOX2.jpg (42.9 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg NODMINIYANKS1.jpg (37.9 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg HARTMANTLEASHTRAY1.jpg (61.5 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg PENNANT66ALLSTAR1.jpg (64.3 KB, 290 views)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I don't want to be impertinent here, but why does the auction refer to them as 'bobbing head' dolls and not as the more familiar 'bobbleheads'?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 05-22-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I don't want to be impertinent here, but why does the auction refer to them as 'bobbing head' dolls and not as the more familiar 'bobbleheads'?
For the majority of my collecting life (30 years or so), "bobbing heads" or "bobbin' heads" was used more often than "bobbleheads."
Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
For the majority of my collecting life (30 years or so), "bobbing heads" or "bobbin' heads" was used more often than "bobbleheads."
Wow, I've never heard those terms before, just bobbleheads...and I'm old! Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 PM

If you look back on old ads from the 60's- these dolls were always referred to as bobbing head dolls. It is only the more recent issues of the last 20 years that the term bobblehead came into vogue. As a matter of fact when I was asked to do the Warman's Bobbing Head Field Guide in 2005, I insisted on that terminology.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4BOBBINGHEAD.jpg (42.0 KB, 210 views)
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM

I'd always known and heard of them as bobbing heads. It was just in very recent years I've heard the term bobbleheads, in conjunction with recent stadium giveaways.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Funny, I have always heard of them as Bobbleheads and that was as far back as the early 70's. I wonder if it, over the years, was a misunderstanding when people said Bobbing heads that what others "heard" was bobbleheads?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:06 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

I've never really considered when the terminology changed, but have used the difference in terminology used by the seller as a quick check whether they had something from the 60's (Bobbing Head) or something more modern (Bobblehead). It's not a 100% accurate check, but then I'm from the South, where ordering a Coke is often met with, "What kind?"
Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 PM

I assumed the modern bobblehead monicker was a trademark thing.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

We called them bobbleheads back in the late '60s. I think both terms have been used throughout their existence. I know that "Bobblehead" is currently more in vogue with stadium giveaways and such, But we definitely said it that way over 40 years ago as well.

Not sure why there has to be just one way to say it... I think that 4 monickers are actually acceptable...

Bobbing Head
Bobbin' Head
Bobblehead
Nodder

There's really no right or wrong here
Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
... I think that 4 monickers are actually acceptable...

Bobbing Head
Bobbin' Head
Bobblehead
Nodder

You forgot "Bobbing Paw" , as here's Bob Brown Bear (yes, Bob Brown of Obak fame) which was a giveway at a Vancouver Canadians game a couple of years ago. Bob's paw does the bobbing on this one.

Last edited by baseballart; 05-24-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's very cool, and good point, Max...

Just saw a Joe Morgan "Bobbing Arm" on the Internet as well (for those who remember his batting stance with the weird jerking of the elbow) .

Aside from the Bobble/Bobbing/Bobbin' Head terminology debate, I actually have more of an issue with the term "Doll". Aren't these more like Bobbing Head Statues? You can't really play with them, without breaking them. And they aren't soft and cuddly like a doll.

Since I don't really want to collect dolls, I'm calling them Bobbing Head Statues from now on.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

How about Bobbing Action Figures? Encompasses all moving appendages, refers to the awesome "Bobbing Action," and preserves your manhood by calling them as "Action Figures"

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 05-25-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
That's very cool, and good point, Max...

Just saw a Joe Morgan "Bobbing Arm" on the Internet as well (for those who remember his batting stance with the weird jerking of the elbow) .

Aside from the Bobble/Bobbing/Bobbin' Head terminology debate, I actually have more of an issue with the term "Doll". Aren't these more like Bobbing Head Statues? You can't really play with them, without breaking them. And they aren't soft and cuddly like a doll.

Since I don't really want to collect dolls, I'm calling them Bobbing Head Statues from now on.
It should also be noted that I typically stay away from collecting the "Waggin' Weenie" action statues...
Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
We called them bobbleheads back in the late '60s. I think both terms have been used throughout their existence. I know that "Bobblehead" is currently more in vogue with stadium giveaways and such, But we definitely said it that way over 40 years ago as well.

Not sure why there has to be just one way to say it... I think that 4 monickers are actually acceptable...

Bobbing Head
Bobbin' Head
Bobblehead
Nodder

I think there's a fifth monicker...the creaply little statue that looks like it will come to life in the middle of the night and kill you with the kitchen butcher knife. Uh, nevermind, that's just what I call them.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I think there's a fifth monicker...the creaply little statue that looks like it will come to life in the middle of the night and kill you with the kitchen butcher knife. Uh, nevermind, that's just what I call them.
Well, they can come to life, but aren't necessarily dangerous (I'll give you "creaply"). They can even provide good counsel and sound advice...

http://www.dodgerbobble.com/2011/01/...bbleheads.html