NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default i.d.'ing/dating Old Pennants

I picked up 7 pennants the other day and could only find images on the internet for three of them. They all came from the same family and one could be i.d.'d to the late '50s, but I couldn't find much on the others. Is there a source you all use for id'ing pennants?

Here are two that I especially liked:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Mike Egner's "Vintage Pennant Price Guide" pictures both and dates the Bears pennant to the 1940's and the Cubs pennant to the 1950's.

I believe Mike has said he has an update for the guide in the works which ads a great many pennants absent from the first one, but I would still recommend picking it up in the meantime. It has a simple, straightforward layout: pennants are arranged by team and each one pictured (b/w photo) with date (or date range), size, rarity, and value range given for each. Pretty quick and easy to look up most any baseball or football pennant you run across just by flipping to the team and scanning through the photos.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Mike Egner's "Vintage Pennant Price Guide" pictures both and dates the Bears pennant to the 1940's and the Cubs pennant to the 1950's.

I believe Mike has said he has an update for the guide in the works which ads a great many pennants absent from the first one, but I would still recommend picking it up in the meantime. It has a simple, straightforward layout: pennants are arranged by team and each one pictured (b/w photo) with date (or date range), size, rarity, and value range given for each. Pretty quick and easy to look up most any baseball or football pennant you run across just by flipping to the team and scanning through the photos.
Thanks Lance - sounds like it's worth adding to the personal reference library.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That Cubbie is a nice example. 90% of that particular style have white-only graphics. The multi-colored version is far more attractive, and should command at least a 25% premium.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Mike

I am currently working on a revised edition but it is quite time consuming and will be a while before completion. Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Mike, thanks for the update. Any chance the revised edition will feature color photographs (presumably at a higher price point), or am I just being greedy now?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks all. I'll order a guide.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Mike

I wish it could be color, just haven't figured out how that could be possible and yet still affordable. Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Jeff

Mike,
Assuming you ran to print and sold the same number of Ed. 2 that you did of #1, how much more would a color version have to cost?

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 PM

For printed books, color is multiple times more expensive than black and white. Though an ebook version could be in color for cheap.

In printing, the paper is cheap. It's the ink that's expensive.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 AM
$cotty @.utin

Why not do a website in color and charge subscription? I admit I like books, but a website would allow continual updates, in color.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football

Last edited by smotan_02; 04-04-2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Mike

I am still doing some checking, so nothing is ruled out regarding doing color. I prefer a hard copy of that type of thing but I might be in the minority. Anyway I think the next one should top 300 pages. Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Brett Lowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Though an ebook version could be in color for cheap.
I'd love to see an ebook version - it would be wonderful to have a fantastic reference at my fingertips on my iphone when I'm at flea markets/antique shows.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

How about the possibility of a b/w print hardcopy with a downloadable color e-book/pdf version?

If I had it my way, all of my reference books would come that way. Hard copy for browsing and keeping on the bookshelf in my office and digital version to have available when I'm on the go. There are a couple of instances where I've even purchased one of each (at full price) just to be able to do that. The problem usually is that the publishers are so afraid of getting ripped off that they opt not to produce the e-book version at all, which I find to be a lamentable solution to the piracy problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Mike

Great points. I will do some checking on it when the time gets closer. Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
For printed books, color is multiple times more expensive than black and white. Though an ebook version could be in color for cheap.

In printing, the paper is cheap. It's the ink that's expensive.
Just a thought, have you ever priced Production digital printing? The actual printing cost is aprox $.04 vs. $.01 on 12x18 paper, but printing 2-up for letter size cuts that in half and gives some more wiggle room for negotiation. Also, no plate setup costs so runs can be short and as needed.

Ex: 300 pages (75 double sided 2-up) at a 250% markup ($.10 per side) would be about $15 per book.

Hopefully this may help with any negotiation.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM

More and more people are reading books in eBook version. My 75 year old retired Cathlolic school teacher neighbor reads books on her ipad. Also, an illustrated reference book is different than a novel-- a 'look up a 1930 pennant' picture reference guide is more palatable in ebook or online format than Don Quixote would be. There is a guy who publishes and sells a lengthy and heavily illustrated guide to MLB baseball uniforms and he publishes it as an pdf file on a CD. He was asked why he doesn't do it in printed form and he replied that it would be too expensive.

I'm working on a guide to identifying the materials in antiques and vintage items (type of wood, plastic, porcelain, metal, marble, amber, leather, etc etc). As I plan on including tons of color photos-- a requirement for such a guide, really- it will have to be in some sort of ebook format.

All my other books are published in both print and ebook formats-- buyer chooses type--, and I'd say 20 percent are sold as eBook for nook or whatever. Not a majority, but a noticeable percentage.

And, for the record, I still read a novel in paper form.

Last edited by drc; 04-04-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
James

I think an ebook would be a great idea. Whoever thought of that, kudos.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collec...wnscollector78
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM

One thing is is color isn't always really necessary. Sure it would be nice if Lipset's Encyclopedia or the Standard Catalog almanac or the old encyclopedia were in color-- but it's not necessary. We all find them useful guides in their black and white. When SCD says a card has red borders, most of us here can figure out what that means-- we don't require a color chart.

A black and white picture with description of colors may not be ideal, but it's certainly serviceable for identification and reference purposes.

Last edited by drc; 04-04-2012 at 02:00 PM.