NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Chris

Default Thoughts?

Ty Cobb (T206) with Ty Cobb back. Based on description, your typical "aged" reprint. But look at this price...

Red flags:

Part 1: "I have never sold any vintage baseball cards nor do I know much about them."

But,

Part 2: "This card has the look and feel of an actual vintage card and if it is a reprint, it is was one of the best reprints I have ever come across."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by usernamealreadytaken; 05-27-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

definitely fake. bids are either not legit or people are stupid (or both).
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Barry Sloate

Based on the bidding, and the fact there were no snipes set, there wasn't much bidder confidence here. Looks like somebody is going to be out $725. But I have to say...it does look real. Maybe someone got the deal of the century, but I'm dubious.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Seller is just playing dumb and has intentional blurry scans.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Steve Murray

I think its real and the winning bidder obviously did too. He/she is a power player.

Wish I had seen it.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 AM
George E.

Doesn't make sense to me. If you had that card and wanted to sell it on ebay, and if you had enough experience to say "it has the look and feel of a legitimate card," wouldn't you spend the $10 to have it graded? I think one would, unless they knew it wouldn't pass. I hope for the buyer's sake it is real, but selling that card raw and saying it might be a reprint tells me that it IS a reprint. Maybe the seller is just that dumb and the buyer will be rewarded for the risk. But the listing makes me think otherwise.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I was watching it at $50 and figured why not but that is a risky deal. I took the advice from the board members regarding possible reprints.

first time seller
mentions possible reprint
fuzzy photos
if he knew it was rare why not grade it or take it to a local card shop.

Its a much nicer reprint then my wagner.

Last edited by atx840; 05-27-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

The seller's title is... 1909 Ty Cobb T206 Rare King Of Tobacco

a simple google search of this phrase would instantly tell you that you have a $100k card (very first link when I did the search in fact).

So the seller just happens to stumble upon an extremely rare card, does enough research to know the year and acc#, but still has absolutely no clue of the value. Right.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Robert A

It looks like a real card with a reprint back. The borders show a sloppy reback job. The edges are discolored with glue.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
So the seller just happens to stumble upon an extremely rare card, does enough research to know the year and acc#, but still has absolutely no clue of the value. Right.
Good point. There is no chance this card is legit.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Barry Sloate

It appears that a great way to make money these days is to buy a reprint for fifty cents, artificially age it, put on ebay with the disclaimer that you aren't certain it's real so you are listing it as a reprint, and then sell it for several hundred dollars. And your back is covered because you put it in writing that it's a repint. Seems like a 21st century business model to me.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Jason Wells

He listed it as a Prewar Reprint in the item specifics.No way all 31 bids were legitimate.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Matt Hall

He said he doesn't know much about vintage cards but if it is a reprint, it's the best he has seen.

Makes sense.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

The card is NOT an aged/doctored reprint, a reprint wouldnt show that type of creasing on front with the white showing.
My guess, homemade fake. The color has that washed out look too, especially the red background.

The front upper right edge shows he didnt cut it out too good either.