NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Scott S

Default Do you need to get auction catalogs?

As I sit home right now, there are auction catalogs all over the house - living room, bedroom, bathrooms (of course), etc. Sure, I enjoy reading them as much as anyone else, but do we NEED to get them?

I'm just wondering, because simply picking up the REA, SCP, Heritage catalogs could count as a workout for many. The cost of printing and mailing all of those catalogs - many which may go to people who don't even bid - must be a high cost to the auction companies.

Of course, we're all indirectly paying for these catalogs with a portion of the 15%-20% premiums we (I mean all of us on N54; there's only one Scott here) pay on an auction win. I have to imagine catalogs like those mentioned above must cost the company at least $20 or more to print and ship.

So, the questions I'd like to get feedback on:

- Would you pay a direct fee for an auction catalog, if the company were to offer a lower premium (maybe a couple of percent lower) but charge to mail you a catalog?

- Would you accept a discount on a premium (% or flat $10-$20 amount) by opting out of receiving a catalog?

- How many people use catalogs and not the Internet for auctions?

- Do many auction houses continue to send catalogs to people who never bid? I saw people mention they were concerned about getting the REA catalog after not bidding last year, but it looks like they did get them this year again.

I'm just looking to explore options which would limit the growing premiums, and this seems like a place that could save a few bucks for all of us.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Alan U

I believe that Huggins and Scott offers a discount if you choose not to get their catalog, I liked that idea and chose to opt out of receiving the catalog.

The one thing I don't really like is that I get catalogs and e-mails from auctions I've never even registered for.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

just think of the small forrest, diesel fuel, toxic printing and paper production waste chemicals that would no longer be needed. but then again, we all know that saving the planet is for suckers, Polar Bears and Greenies to worry about.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
John Wondowski

I don't need them. Some guys cherish them it seems, but after quickly running through them, I just recycle the catalogues.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM

The only thing better than an auction catalog is a free auction catalog.

No, seriously a lot of the auction houses have said that some of their big buyers want to see all of the lots in a condensed format because they take their catalogs with them on business trips, family vacations, etc,... and it's easier for them to bid by phone than to worry about bidding online.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Daryl

Yes.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The only thing better than an auction catalog is a free auction catalog.

No, seriously a lot of the auction houses have said that some of their big buyers want to see all of the lots in a condensed format because they take their catalogs with them on business trips, family vacations, etc,... and it's easier for them to bid by phone than to worry about bidding online.
I appreciate that 'some' buyers want the physical catalog, and I know the catalogs won't entirely go away.

However, I'd love for some auction companies to see that not all collectors need the catalogs, and they could save big bucks (and hopefully pass some of that savings on to buyers / consignors) by not having to print and mail catalogs for every bidder.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM

Yes, I like auction catalogs. I always miss some things in the fatiguing internet scan that I catch in the catalog in big auctions like REA. I don't want to read a phone book on the internet.
JimB
Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
I believe that Huggins and Scott offers a discount if you choose not to get their catalog, I liked that idea and chose to opt out of receiving the catalog.

The one thing I don't really like is that I get catalogs and e-mails from auctions I've never even registered for.
Alan, you're exactly right - I found this on the H&S site:
====
Huggins and Scott is GOING GREEN!

In an effort to do our part in saving the environment and save money on printing and mailing costs, we are hoping to entice our customers to opt out of getting a printed catalog. We will not remove you from the mailing list if you do not want to be removed, however, in exchange for declining a printed catalog, we will give you a $10.00 credit off of each auction invoice. For each auction that you win at least one lot, we will automatically credit you $10.00 off of your bottom line amount owed to us. We will run five auctions in 2010 - each auction that you win at least one lot, we will issue you a $10.00 credit off of that invoice.
====
I'd take the $10 off an invoice to not get a catalog, save a tree, etc.

I didn't know about this offer from H&S, and wish more companies would offer a similar program....
Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 PM

I've got about a 7 year pile about 2 feet high and my office is moving in June. If anyone would like all of them, please pm me your UPS # and you can have them. Otherwise they are going in the trash.
scottg@accessmfgsys.com
Thanks,
Scott.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Bill Hedin

Default the kind people at the auction houses!

I enjoy the auction catalogs very much. With my unique situation of being sick, it's easier for me to read the actual catalog than going on-line to read it.

I am by no means a big buyer, however, I do buy an item or two.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Doug Allen and Rob Lifson for their kindness and generosity in mailing me all their books. The reference material is price-less and i certainly appreciate their kindness.

My favorite two items won in recent auctions are an E95 of Wagner from legendary and a wonderful group of 1974 PSA cards from our leader and all around good guy Leon Luckey!

As for Steve's question, I'd have to say yes; I would pay for the catalog if it was necessary. I believe it was a conversation with our friend Rich Klien where we were conversing about the value of such catalogs for simply reference value.

Once again, I would like to extend my thanks to all our members. Our group here on net54 represent the very best of all hobbyists in our chosen field.

Thanks for this opportunity to express my opinion about another important issue in our industry.

Best Wishes to ALL my friends,

Bill Hedin
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I'm probably in the minority but I personally much prefer just to view auctions online (assuming there are large scans and the site is easy to navigate). Current bid prices, watch-lists, search function, etc. are all benefits vs. a catalog to me. Catalogs are fun and all to sit and read, but AH's would be just fine w/o them in my opinion.

I know a lot of people say that they miss things that they only catch in the catalog, that viewing online is more trouble, that AH's would lose bidders w/o catalogs, etc., but take away the catalogs and I have no doubt that those same bidders would adapt.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 PM
David Vargha

I'm old school. I prefer reading the catalogues. Beside, it's too much of a pain to read auctions on my computer while I'm sitting on the can.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargha View Post
I'm old school. I prefer reading the catalogues.
Are you British too?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post

I think Huggins & Scott opted me out of getting their catalogs...which I don't blame them for since I haven't bid in over a year in one of their auctions...I didn't even know about their last auction until someone here posted about it on the last day.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Steve C.

I also prefer to view the auctions on-line only. I'm registered with nearly all of the on-line auction houses and I've called every last one of them asking to take me off their mailing list. Most of them found my request to be unusual and many of them asked me "are you sure you don't want to receive the catalog?" Despite my efforts, I still get a few in the mail every now and then.

If you do go paperless, be sure to stay on their e-mail list so you continue to receive their notifications regarding upcoming auctions.

Steve
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 AM
David Vargha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Are you British too?
Nope. That's how they taught it 40+ years ago. Even if it is now relegated to secondary status in the dictionary, I still spell it that way.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Jeff

Yes, I still want them. They form the basis of a good hobby library to me. And believe it or not, I prefer to not be in front of the computer all the time. I travel a great deal for work and enjoy taking them on the plane, to hotels, etc. Much more so than a laptop or I Pad.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 04-26-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default catalogs

From my point of view it depends whther I am buying for my collection or to break up and resell. For my collection I enjoy online to get the higher resolution scans. When I am looking to buy to break up I like the catalog for a quick guide to card numbers and names.

I opted out of receiving the Huggins and Scott catalog for 2 reasons. First the selfish reason of getting a credit toward my next purchase. Secondly to go green !! I am sure if I need a list I can print it out.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Most of them I throw away the same day I receive them.

I'll flip through Hunt page by page very quickly because their site sucks so bad.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Most of them I throw away the same day I receive them.

I'll flip through Hunt page by page very quickly because their site sucks so bad.
agreed, definitely helps to have a catalog with them.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I have no doubt that those same bidders would adapt.
Jeff,
I refuse to adapt!
JimB
Old 04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Scott S

I agree, given a choice, I'll take the catalog(ue) if there's no direct cost for it.

But, if more places had the H&S option of "save $10 or $20 to opt out of the catalog", would you take them up on it? I know I would.

I have a feeling a "pay for the catalog" model could hurt business and wouldn't be adopted by many, but I think the H&S option is a good one which could be used by others to the benefit of all parties.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcerfan View Post
just think of the small forrest, diesel fuel, toxic printing and paper production waste chemicals that would no longer be needed. but then again, we all know that saving the planet is for suckers, Polar Bears and Greenies to worry about.

Murcerfan - I would like to respond to the above.

The US forest products industry planted more trees last year than it cut down. Over four million trees are being planted each day. Realize, paper used for printing is farmed. Just like the carrots and tomatoes people eat. A person would not be saving a forest by not choosing print. Actually - quite the contrary. The stronger the print industry and paper industry is.... the more need there will be for tree farmland. = more trees.

Quite possibly the largest fallacy I hear is that not printing something 'saves trees'. There are many industries that may pillage a forest somewhere / but the paper industry builds forests and farms trees.

If anyone cares to actually go green and save the planet - I would suggest choosing a printed catalog. You never have to plug it in. Unplug your computer, stop recharging the tablet or cell phone, and sit down and read a printed book.

Take as long as you like. You won't ever have to recharge it.

And when you are done - printed materials are very much recycled (especially when compared to electronics).

in short - if you want to save the planet and go green.... choose print.

Last edited by bijoem; 04-26-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: less aggressive :) twice. then grammar
Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

After opting out of the H & S catalog I find that my interest in their auction has waned and I am less aware of their auctions. It is nice to be able to take a catalog like REA to the couch every evening during auction season and thumb through it during otherwise useless moments like commercials, conversations with the wife, phone calls from my mom, etc.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-26-2011, 03:07 PM

there is a larger debate in all of this that relates to print publications in general vs. online resources. there's no question that print publications like newspapers and magazines have been hit hard by online access to information. i think this debate is likely a generational issue...a lot of buyers in these auctions likely grew up with print publications. although many have adapted, some are still wedded to their paper in hand beliefs. there are likely going to be certain newspapers that stick around because of their stature and importance...probably the same will happen with auction catalogs (REA, perhaps?). but, i think eventually catalogs will diminish over time as younger cohorts start to amass the type of money needed to bid big in these auctions.

i get a lot of catalogs and i only briefly go through them.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

Here's a previous thread we had on the topic:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=123781
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 PM

For an auction with smaller volume, online is fine for me...but with larger auctions I definitely rely on the print version because sometimes I miss things...as a matter of fact looking at the REA catalogue I noticed one lot had additional cards listed that I had overlooked initially.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordanby View Post
there is a larger debate in all of this that relates to print publications in general vs. online resources. there's no question that print publications like newspapers and magazines have been hit hard by online access to information. i think this debate is likely a generational issue...a lot of buyers in these auctions likely grew up with print publications. although many have adapted, some are still wedded to their paper in hand beliefs. there are likely going to be certain newspapers that stick around because of their stature and importance...probably the same will happen with auction catalogs (REA, perhaps?). but, i think eventually catalogs will diminish over time as younger cohorts start to amass the type of money needed to bid big in these auctions.

i get a lot of catalogs and i only briefly go through them.

That sounds like me. I get the catalog, comb through it several times, circle the lots I am interested in red and then get my abacus out and decide how much I can bid on each.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Here's a previous thread we had on the topic:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=123781
The only thing that I took away from this thread is that you live in your parents' basement.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
The only thing that I took away from this thread is that you live in your parents' basement.
Good catch. That was my attempt at a subtle hint. They told me I need to move out, so I need a place to crash for a couple years. How's the weather in Texas?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Good catch. That was my attempt at a subtle hint. They told me I need to move out, so I need a place to crash for a couple years. How's the weather in Texas?
Perfect! I need a ringer for my work's softball team.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Rich Klein

This is what I wrote on the last thread -- and I think Bill Hedin actually made my point better than I did

"Is that, if you keep them, and something interesting comes up on the board; you can research and reference if and when you'd seen the item before in a catalog. On line, it's quite different research and harder to remember"

To wit, Bill James once wrote about his baseball abstracts in the 1980's that they sit around the house and a reader can re-reference his books. Being on line is not as "eternal" as print ---- and print is easier for people to remember than what they see on line.

I think Leon has a pretty good point, for "smaller" auctions on-line is fine but for bigger auctions, the more you have in front of you the better it is.

I prefer print because catalogs are fun to read through even after they end (Part of that is my Beckett heritage of researching all the items that may have needed to be added to the data base) while if all you are interested in is working on the 33 Goudey Set --- then on-line may be the way to go for you.

And to wit, and to mention some friends of mine -- and to bring up the Beckett reference --- John and Judy Burk have an auction which just began, in that auction they say they have an uncatalogued Steelers set from c.1973. With a catalog in print, I'd always remember that item --- now when that auction is over, I'll forget about that item real quickly.

Print lasts, on-line does not

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-26-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

yep...recycling catalogs uses no resources at all.

sending ups and fedex trucks all over creation to deliver a triple wrapped padded celo condomed catalog has no carbon footprint...hell, diesel feul is already there in the tank, you have to burn it anyways.

... the nasty waste products from printing are harmless to the environment and can be turned into candy for children in a co-generation plant powered by gnomes on treadmills...or even bottled and sold as an elixir.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM
David Vargha

I'm saving my catalogues to burn someday in a giant outdoor bonfire. Why? Because in Texas we can. Hopefully, prevailing winds dump the ash in California.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default :)

Quote:
I'm saving my catalogues to burn someday in a giant outdoor bonfire. Why? Because in Texas we can. Hopefully, prevailing winds dump the ash in California.
That was funny...at least to this Texan.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 AM

Remember what George Costanza called those baseball owners from Texas ?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcerfan View Post
yep...recycling catalogs uses no resources at all.

sending ups and fedex trucks all over creation to deliver a triple wrapped padded celo condomed catalog has no carbon footprint...hell, diesel feul is already there in the tank, you have to burn it anyways.

... the nasty waste products from printing are harmless to the environment and can be turned into candy for children in a co-generation plant powered by gnomes on treadmills...or even bottled and sold as an elixir.

since you didn't mention the magically disappearing forests - I assume you realize your prior contention was completely false - and that the paper industry grows forests.

Yes, print has an environmental impact.
Everything has an impact on the environment.
Everything.

Including electronic / online distribution. The electronic devices need to be manufactured at an environmental impact. Including delivery in their own bubble wrap or packaging. Devices are disposed of at an environmental impact. They are used (plugged in, charged, recharged) at an environmental impact. The content used on these devices is served at an environmental impact.

I love online. I love tablets, smartphones, computers, etc.

But I don't kid myself into thinking I am saving a tree - because I am not.
And I don't fool myself into thinking I am making a 'greener' choice - because I am not.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
You know why Texas is so big?

Because you can't cram all that trailer trash into Rhode Island.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 AM

There are a lot of places in this country that I would like to visit (on my bucket list)-
and Texas is definitely one of them.

can we campaign for a Texas National?