NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Am I just so out of touch with card prices?

I know there has been a lot of discussion about inflated BIN prices on certain websites. But as I was doing my daily lunch search, I saw a card listed with what I thought seemed a high BIN for a PSA 6. I wasn't interested in the card, and I try to avoid graded cards at any time, but was just curious about value, so I visited MLB Vintage just to compare (I know it is impossible to keep the prices up to date on the site, so I usually figure add 10-20%, and you should be there). The BIN is $5 short of 10 times the cost listed! Do graded cards really carry that much more value, or is this guy just nuts?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Glyn Parson

Default There is no %

Graded cards sell at a price on a card by card basis there is no formula like a 6 is x% more or less than book. What is the card you are reffering to. Also contrary to most popular beliefs grading does not always add value or make a card cost more. In fact cards with tremendous eye appeal and a technical low grade can often sell for more raw then graded.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Chris

Sellers are nuts. I am always disappointed to see a real nice card but with a way out of the park price. Often sellers will find the highest the card ever sold for ever and add 10-20%. I have seen some BIN's on ebay for YEARS!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 AM
P.hil €lli$

You're not out of touch..........the dealers with the crazy BINs are the ones out of touch.

I think eBay has forgotten about what "got them there". I really feel that the huge percentage of BINs vs. Auctions is so that the company (eBay) looks better to Wall Street and Investors. It seems to be more critical that they have x number of "current listings" as opposed to x amount of revenue generated from sales on the site. It's all corporate now (and has been for a while).
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Paul

This is what they do:

(1) Seller lists card at high BIN

(2) This encourages bidders to make email offers at lower than BIN

(3) Seller sells item offline for negotiated price and saves ebay listing/final value fees

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
This is what they do:

(1) Seller lists card at high BIN

(2) This encourages bidders to make email offers at lower than BIN

(3) Seller sells item offline for negotiated price and saves ebay listing/final value fees
I agree with that, but why does eBay make it so easy for them to do that? They don't charge that much for BIN listings and let them keep them up forever for very little money. You would think eBay would discourage these BINs and get back to auctions so that they can capture that revenue of the % of the sale.

I again say it is because they "look better" by having so many "current listings".
Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Jim D

I see it all the time, especially with the nutjobs on the Vancouver craigslist. The have early 90's cards and think they are worth 50$ per card because they "are old" . Usually when you tell them their cards have a guide value around .05 cents , they tell you to f-off... makes me laugh!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Patrick N.

Default As a former store owner...

Sometimes I would have a card listed at a higher BIN with the expectation that if it didn't sell after a couple months I would "slash" the price via the Markdown Manager option to a "moveable" price...
Old 03-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Jeff

The "Auctions Only" tab is the most useful thing ebay ever did, not that that is saying much. The Buy It Now tab is sorta like the Smithsonian Museum of listings. I would add that I completely agree that a seller can and should list a card for whatever price they want to. Thank goodness most buyers are not complete impulsive idiots but it only takes one.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-05-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Ed McCollum

Default He already lists it as "price reduced"

this is the auction that caught my attention. If it is out of line to post a current auction, moderator guys, please delete. Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/yctbspj
Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
this is the auction that caught my attention. If it is out of line to post a current auction, moderator guys, please delete. Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/yctbspj

Ed,

Here's his list of "closed" auctions for the last 15 days. (Notice, this business plan has had some success as he actually did sell one card! That Mays is a $1000 card and it shows he sold it for $2495.)

Also notice that the Oakes cards didn't sell for $995 when it ended on 03/03, so he obviously "reduced it" to $1195!

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/where...&_rdc=1&_rdc=2

Last edited by Jim VB; 03-05-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Pup6913

This guy sent me a bunch of scans of grade 4 and 5 T205's with Cycle and AB backs. I wanted them all so I sent him a Very fair price and he said he would have to pass because they were valued at 3 times what I offered. Needless to say I was about 10% higher than Market at ther time so........... He still has them and from the looks of it has most of everything he owns still
Old 03-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Last 4 VCP Recorded Sales

The last 4 VCP sales of this card in a PSA 6 WERE in order from most recent: $237.50, $213.50, $240.50, $401.97 .
Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Jeff

Andrew,
When you see cards priced like that the seller obviously doesn't care whether it sells or not. I find trying to deal with most of these type sellers to be a total waste of time. Particularly for cards like t206 where if you wait long enough you'll find what you want fairly priced.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
mark sanders

Default wheretheyain't

before anyone else places a bid or an offer with this seller, they need to do a net54 "search" on them...
the results may, or may not surprise you!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=wheretheyaint
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350

Last edited by sando69; 03-05-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: link added
Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Jim D

after reading that old thread, i think i have come up with an idea for those two.... have the guy who owns the stool, sell it to them... send instructions with it to turn it upside down, then they have a seat for themselves and two of their customers who are about to be screwed and need a little pre-stool foreplay for the major screwing they are about to get!

Id provide a scan of what i mean, but they would probably try to tell my idea...

Last edited by FUBAR; 03-05-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

The business model is to wait for someone ignorant to come along and pay double what the card is worth. For example,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140378454740
Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Jim VB

But Peter, that card is "goergeous" (sic)!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The business model is to wait for someone ignorant to come along and pay double what the card is worth. For example,

But Peter the price has been Reduced!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The business model is to wait for someone ignorant to come along and pay double what the card is worth.
*Throat clears* Levi Bleam
Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Jim D

im still sticking with my stool suggestion!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 AM
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
The "Auctions Only" tab is the most useful thing ebay ever did, not that that is saying much. The Buy It Now tab is sorta like the Smithsonian Museum of listings. I would add that I completely agree that a seller can and should list a card for whatever price they want to. Thank goodness most buyers are not complete impulsive idiots but it only takes one.
Agreed about the auction tab, way , way to many ridiculous BIN's.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Joe Boggs

I just made an offer of 25 dollars hehe
Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Jim D

I should go offer 26$
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

I don't believe that sales like this actually occur the majority of the time. We've learned from more significant crooks that a sale is often recorded at an inflated price just to set the victim up when the same card is offered for sale at a later date -- with the fake sale available to act as a fraudulent guide to value. This sort of fraud happens all the time and is not much different than straight shill bidding. Maybe Doug Allen can discuss the impact of such fraud at the Net 54 dinner.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think it's a real sale. There is a long distinguished history of guys who start buying everything in sight with very little regard to price, for whatever reason. The buyer seems to fit that category judging by his feedback.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I don't believe that sales like this actually occur the majority of the time. We've learned from more significant crooks that a sale is often recorded at an inflated price just to set the victim up when the same card is offered for sale at a later date -- with the fake sale available to act as a fraudulent guide to value. This sort of fraud happens all the time and is not much different than straight shill bidding. Maybe Doug Allen can discuss the impact of such fraud at the Net 54 dinner.
Isn't that how the T210 Jackson exploded in price? Wasn't there some ebay shenanigans with this card a few years back?? I wish I could find the old thread.