NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-18-2024, 07:07 AM
Ben North

I was in an accident and got wacked with some health problems at the same time about 8 months ago. I have been trying to get back to working out since then. I have finally been able to lift weights for the last month. I am also just learning to deadlift.

So my good news is yesterday I deadlifted as much as a fellow members 5' 4" 130 pound wife does. I pulled 300 pounds yesterday. It is nice finally being pain free.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:30 PM
Dave

That's great to hear Ben. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I was in an accident and got wacked with some health problems at the same time about 8 months ago. I have been trying to get back to working out since then. I have finally been able to lift weights for the last month. I am also just learning to deadlift.

So my good news is yesterday I deadlifted as much as a fellow members 5' 4" 130 pound wife does. I pulled 300 pounds yesterday. It is nice finally being pain free.
Good work man

Last edited by johnsonfederic46; 02-20-2024 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:11 PM
James M.

I wanted to update this with some recent news. Started out bad but has become more positive as of late.

My father unfortunately suffered a stroke. It has been a challenging time for our entire family. For many of you that have older/elderly parents, or have gone through this experience, it's very difficult seeing those you care about encounter these sorts of problems.

However, it's been 10 days since this occurrence. My father is conversing with little, to no speech issues and is in physical therapy. He may need some sort of assistance for the rest of his life, but he is alive, talking and thankful.

Each day is a blessing, and there is always a positive to every situation. Life always presents challenges but we are able to get through them.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:31 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I wanted to update this with some recent news. Started out bad but has become more positive as of late.

My father unfortunately suffered a stroke. It has been a challenging time for our entire family. For many of you that have older/elderly parents, or have gone through this experience, it's very difficult seeing those you care about encounter these sorts of problems.

However, it's been 10 days since this occurrence. My father is conversing with little, to no speech issues and is in physical therapy. He may need some sort of assistance for the rest of his life, but he is alive, talking and thankful.

Each day is a blessing, and there is always a positive to every situation. Life always presents challenges but we are able to get through them.
Very happy for your extra opportunities with your dad. Hopefully your dad clears these hurdles and gets another 10 years of quality living.

I lost my father 2 years ago. I understand your struggles.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-01-2024, 09:19 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Very happy for your extra opportunities with your dad. Hopefully your dad clears these hurdles and gets another 10 years of quality living.

I lost my father 2 years ago. I understand your struggles.

Appreciate the kind words and wishes.

I think this is one of the things I have struggled with the most. I feel like in many cases sons think of their fathers as pillars of strength. They always seem they're the strongest people in the world. Even as I see him now, I still see the man that raised me, more than I see how he is in his current state.

He's a good man, I feel terrible for the struggles he's going through. We've been talking plenty of baseball though lately, and a ton about cards. Somethings, thankfully, never change.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:24 PM
Dave

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post

I hope the best for your father.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:51 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

DONALD TRUMP VISITING
We got the BIG -DON coming to our town tonite!!!
Yep! downtown been shut down all day-- he is coming 5pm @ the forum
Probably no thanks to Majorie Greene, since she represents our town.
Folks been selling t-shirts & hats all week.

Health Update:
I have been unable to get my Mounjaro 7.5 for a month now...still waiting
Meanwhile i went back on the Metformin...defintly messed my stomach up and diahreaa.
I had to re-authroize it for 2024 for insurance...and they didnt tell me
Been a total mess and lots of phone calls every week.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 03-09-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
DONALD TRUMP VISITING
We got the BIG -DON coming to our town tonite!!!
Yep! downtown been shut down all day-- he is coming 5pm @ the forum
Probably no thanks to Majorie Greene, since she represents our town.
Folks been selling t-shirts & hats all week.

Health Update:
I have been unable to get my Mounjaro 7.5 for a month now...still waiting
Meanwhile i went back on the Metformin...defintly messed my stomach up and diahreaa.

I had to re-authroize it for 2024 for insurance...and they didnt tell me
Been a total mess and lots of phone calls every week.
That has to suck. Hopefully you can get back on it. For a friend it is a miracle drug. He just cares that he can drink and eat anything he wants. It not only lets him drink soda all day but also eat nothing but garbage food. His A1c is low and he has lost a ton of weight on it.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:15 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Ben-
thats is wrong that people are taking this for the wrong reasons.
Stars & Actors are doing this for weight loss...yeah it works for that
but some folks need this for blood sugar. Mine A1C is down to 6.0 and need to jump the hurdle and eat more veggies and be more efficient exercising...i do about 10-15K steps per day.
The testerone gel helps in the mornings to get me going..wears off at noon.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 03-09-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Ben-
thats is wrong that people are taking this for the wrong reasons.
Stars & Actors are doing this for weight loss...yeah it works for that
but some folks need this for blood sugar. Mine A1C is down to 6.0 and need to jump the hurdle and eat more veggies and be more efficient exercising...i do about 10-15K steps per day.
The testerone gel helps in the mornings to get me going..wears off at noon.
My friend has diabetes he just won't change anything and expects medication to do everything for him.

That is awesome you are doing 10-15K steps a day. Weirdly that is also my goal. I got a Fitbit a couple weeks ago to track steps and other stuff.

On a funny side note I now have 3 items that tell time on me. I have to put the Fitbit on my right wrist because of the one small tattoo I have on my left wrist. Then I have a real mechanical watch on my left wrist because I like man jewelry. Then of course my cell phone.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:27 PM
Ben North

double post

Last edited by bnorth; 03-09-2024 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:41 PM
Tim Odeen

My son's hockey season wrapped up. The local WHL team asks hockey players to sell tickets. if they sell more than 40 they get to sit on the bench while players warm-up. We got 5 free tickets. While on the bench, he got his favorite player to sign his poster. He was the only kid who brought something to sign and have a sharpie! Plus, Chiefs won 7-6 in a real thriller and clinched a playoff berth.
20240316_175642.jpg
20240318_204037.jpg

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 03-18-2024 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:20 PM
Tim Odeen

Another piece of good news is my house remodel, kitchen cabinets were installed. While that is good, it's not the greatest news. Our contractor is assigning us errands so that we can stretch our budget (errands he doesn't want to do himself... like scrape popcorn ceilings which we completed in January). We took a HUD remodel loan, and the HUD agent gave a list of expected fixes not including our desired changes. Because of 60-70 degree temps (this is the good news!), we've been working on the house and these errands since Friday. Most time consuming is scraping and painting the base siding of the house. It did not have rain gutters and when it rained it splashed up and ruined the bottom panel. But we've been saving money on labor, and the contractor will reallocate that money somewhere else!
20240312_191445.jpg
20240318_123900.jpg
20240317_150233.jpg

Last edited by todeen; 03-18-2024 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Another piece of good news is my house remodel, kitchen cabinets were installed. While that is good, it's not the greatest news. Our contractor is assigning us errands so that we can stretch our budget (errands he doesn't want to do himself... like scrape popcorn ceilings which we completed in January). We took a HUD remodel loan, and the HUD agent gave a list of expected fixes not including our desired changes. Because of 60-70 degree temps (this is the good news!), we've been working on the house and these errands since Friday. Most time consuming is scraping and painting the base siding of the house. It did not have rain gutters and when it rained it splashed up and ruined the bottom panel. But we've been saving money on labor, and the contractor will reallocate that money somewhere else!
Attachment 614925
Attachment 614926
Attachment 614927

I love painting, clean job

Last edited by nj3356673; 03-22-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Attachment 614925
Attachment 614926
Attachment 614927

Congrats on the progress. Also congrats on finding a contractor that will let you help AND give you a better price for doing it. As a retired contractor in all honesty we will make the bill bigger IF the owner thinks they need to help almost every time.

I have kinda good news or I just wasn't cheap this year. I booked the Hilton beside the Strongest Man on Earth strongman contest in Loveland CO this year. The athletes stay there and since there is 3 full days of events it is easiest to just be able to walk across the street to attend the events.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:09 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Guys, i get that homeowners like sweat equity....but sometimes you say WTF?
Let them go ahead, but if the homewoner screws up, it will cost 2x as much
We had to do that on some of our commercial buildings, those that have in-house so-called maintaince men.

BTW- i had 3 teeth pulled last week...now i feel like hillbilly Joe with a gap.
Luckily i still have 2 baby teeth behind it to fill it in.

On a good note: Today i get text messages from Lara Trump to do a survey to support our Republicans.
Then shortly after, got another to tell the Democrats to keep hands of Trump towers.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 03-22-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:41 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Congrats on the progress. Also congrats on finding a contractor that will let you help AND give you a better price for doing it. As a retired contractor in all honesty we will make the bill bigger IF the owner thinks they need to help almost every time.

I have kinda good news or I just wasn't cheap this year. I booked the Hilton beside the Strongest Man on Earth strongman contest in Loveland CO this year. The athletes stay there and since there is 3 full days of events it is easiest to just be able to walk across the street to attend the events.
Quote:
Guys, i get that homeowners like sweat equity....but sometimes you say WTF?
Let them go ahead, but if the homewoner screws up, it will cost 2x as much
We had to do that on some of our commercial buildings, those that have in-house so-called maintaince men.

BTW- i had 3 teeth pulled last week...now i feel like hillbilly Joe with a gap.
Luckily i still have 2 baby teeth behind it to fill it in.

On a good note: Today i get text messages from Lara Trump to do a survey to support our Republicans.
Then shortly after, got another to tell the Democrats to keep hands of Trump towers.
Luckily I have prior experience with home remodeling. So removing garbage, painting, basic construction, deck building, scraping popcorn ceilings, taping drywall and plaster, laying pavers for sidewalks.... that's about it. But I also know my limits. Electrical, plumbing, tile and grout, all those are beyond my pay grade. I believe the last chore on my to do list is sloping the exterior away from the home.

Our contractor got a job with a commercial developer and has been given projects over in a development. I'm not sure they want to give us everything they have, but with a HUD loan there are time restraints (6 months max). So this is a simple way to keep work moving to keep HUD happy. But the contractor has also told us certain projects he will not allow us to complete. My sister in law said she can install flooring and our contractor quickly said no.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:06 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

^^impressive you can do all that
I work guys with 0 experience—you’re hired
Plus you look young and taking your time
To Make it right- Nice!!
When you go get done- you have satisfaction
Of a job well done and you done that
Makes you feel good
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 03-23-2024, 08:37 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
^^impressive you can do all that
I work guys with 0 experience—you’re hired
Plus you look young and taking your time
To Make it right- Nice!!
When you go get done- you have satisfaction
Of a job well done and you done that
Makes you feel good
Thank you. I had zero experience when I took my landscaping construction job one summer in college (we built waterfalls), and zero experience when I took a home remodeling job the year after college. but my bosses liked me because I got to the job site on time every morning! Amazing how far basic responsibility can carry you in life!