NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Default just bought this giant Louisville Slugger... any insights

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

Hey guys,

Just picked up this darn big Louisville Slugger "Babe Ruth" bat. It stands about 5 and a half feet high and though it looks like wood, it feels like some kind of composite material to me.

10bat.jpg

How uncommon are these? Any ideas on when they were made. It is kind of impressive, but I'm not sure I've got the space to keep it. It maybe was some sort of corporate presentation? Says in Sharpie "To Buzz Thanks for being a "big hitter" in FSELP(?) Best Regards" and then some signature I can't make out.

10bat2.jpg

Any thoughts on how to remove the sharpie sig since this seems entirely un-baseball related and I think the bat would be better off without it.

Any info is appreciated,

Shawn

Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bobw

After seeing the picture, it is not the one from a long closed store in NYC called "Think Big".

Old 01-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Just got the pics added...I'm sure this will help.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

they must have been made for bars or something. Saw another at a flea market this weekend......
Not much else on them. Paid about $60 for mine off ebay. BIG package.....

Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Based on the center logo, the bat was probably made within the last 20 years or so.

If I remember correctly, there was a large size bat like this in the Halper collection which sold for over $2,000 dollars. Of course, it was made in the 1930's and had a Joe DiMaggio autograph on it.

Recently, there was an auction close to me that had one of these large size bats. It had the Hillerich & Bradsby logo in the center and sold for $400 dollars. I am waiting for it to show up in a Mastro or REA auction to see what it REALLY is worth (my guess, close to $1,000 but what do I know).

If I had had the money, I would have bought that one even though it was 66 inches long and I don't really have a place to store or display it.

The Halper auction description said these large size bats were originally made in the 1930's and were used as store display pieces. I don't know if that is true or not.

I am sure others who have more info about this subject will chime in.

David

Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Hart

The bat was made in the 80's. They are relatively common but are great for display. They sell in a wide range of prices, but I would say its worth $150-350.

As for getting that sharpie off, thats tough... Nail polish remover takes marker off of bats, but since the giant bat is not wood, I would try it on the back to make sure the color doesn't come off of the bat. Otherwise, the only suggestion I have would try to match the color and paint it. It would be tough but might look better than the writing. If it doesn't really bother you, you might just want to leave it alone. Good luck with what ever you do.

Cool piece.
Matt

Old 01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Hey guys,

thanks for all the info. I can live with the sharpie if I have to, but I probably will spot test a couple thinks to remove it. Probably depends if I can keep it! This thing was an unbelievable bargain, so I couldn't pass it up for the price. It is kind of neat to just see it lumbering in the corner (pun intended happy.gif)!

Shawn

Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

Try hairspray to remove the sharpie. Really.
Doug

Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

Billy Mays will be advertising something on late night TV just for this sort of thing. On a serious note, I have used hairspray to take Sharpie off of football helmets before and it worked.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William

What do you use to get the hairspray off?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

I have had good luck removing Sharpie writing by tracing over the words with another sharpie, then just wiping it off. Really, not kidding, it worked on a dry erase board on which a Sharpie was accidently used.

Rawn

Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

Once upon a time, I spent lots of time in a grocery store. This is back in the days when ink stampers were used to mark canned items. When we changed the prices we used hairspray to remove the ink, it takes a very very tiny amount, so don't spray too much.

Doug

Old 01-08-2009, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave W

A concentrated citrus cleaner (not a cleaner from a retail store) which a janitorial supply house would carry MIGHT take that sharpie off as well.

It depends on the surface type the writing is on.

You'd want the 90% concentrated or up citrus cleaner.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Well, before I saw all the hairspray suggestions...I used nail polish remover. It pretty much removed it, but it did lighten the area a bit. Oh well, I am happier with a bit of light area than that big mess of sharpie scrawl. I will try a touch up with the hairspray because there is a bit remaining in the "low" spots.

Shawn