NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Default Sending in for review

Posted By: Henry Eshelman

I know most people crack their cards out of the holder when crossing their cards over to a different company but do most people crack theyr cards out when sending in to the sam company for review?

Thanks, Henry Eshelman

Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Henry:

I always crack it out. I resubmit until A) I get the grade I know the card deserves, or B) The card comes back the same grade enough times that I become confident I misgraded the card myself.

This is not to say I send back every card I disagree with, but if I'm working on a set or looking for a card in a specific grade, and I feel like I have a card worthy of that grade, I will resubmit the card. I've sent back certain cards four or five times.

-Al

Old 03-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I'm curious: what is the amount of money people have paid for cards that they are willing to crack out? And what about the concerns of the card coming back as 'trimmed' or with a lower grade? What is the money limit people will pay to take a chance and resubmit after cracking a card out?

Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

that's why the population reports are so valuable

crack it out! any company is reluctant to admit that they over/under graded a card.

has anyone ever got any grading company to knowingly change the grade they assigned to a card???

Old 03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Also: do you resend the card back a week later, a month later, etc.? Or is there a fear that the grading company will check their records that you've sent in a raw 1915 CJ Hal Chase three weeks in a row?

Old 03-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

"has anyone ever got any grading company to knowingly change the grade they assigned to a card??? "

yes

Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Jeff, I think the grading companies spend around a minute or so with each card. Maybe even less. I doubt they'd go through the time and trouble to bother looking into records...it is too time consuming. The only way they could do it is they have a systematic computerized way to figure it out, but I doubt they are that organized.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Jeff, in my case, it depends on the card and why I own it.

In the case of 1938 Goudey, I'm trying to build the set in as high grade as possible. If I spend $500 for a raw Hank Greenberg that I think deserves a 6, and it comes back a 4, I'm going to resubmit it over and over and over. The difference between a 4 and a 6 in value is hundreds of dollars.

In the case of some other card where I'm not as condition sensitive, then it depends on what the card is and whether I can live with the grade. If the difference in value between the grade I think the card deserves and the grade it got is a big difference, I'll resubmit. If not, I'll live with the grade.

And BTW, I always send back the flips, in a different package, not with my submissions. I usually wait until I have a whole bunch, though.

-Al

Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Al - when you send back the flips, are you sure they actually do anything with them? Have you looked at the PSA cert numbers of flips you have sent back to verify they deleted it from their database and have you seen the actual pop report go down?

I'd be a bit surprised if they did that good of a job. But if they did, that would be great.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Here's my question: if you buy a 38 Greenberg in PSA 7 but think it deserves an 8; would you crack it out and resend it even with the concern it could come back either as 'trimmed' or a 6?

Old 03-07-2006, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...and SGC has gone up, down and stayed the same with GAI and PSA cards that I have sent in to have crossed over.

Cracking a high grade card is suicidal.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

No. I would send in the PSA card with a note that says not to remove it from the capsule unless it gets the same or a better grade. I did this with a couple of PSA graded boxing cards. One was returned to me unbroken, the other was encapsulated by SGC 1/2 grade higher as I'd hoped.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

King, I've seen pop reports decrease, but it's a moving target, so I can't tell for sure if it's because of my flips. Stupid me never thought to write down cert numbers and search for them after I send them back.

Jeff, if I bought a Greenberg 7 and thought it deserved an 8, I'd probably let it stay in a 7 holder. I'm happy with a 7, and have many 7s that look like they could be 8s. But if I bought a Greenberg 6 that I thought deserved a 7, I'd crack it and resubmit it.

In fact, I just resubmitted a Greenberg 4 that deserves a 5.

-Al

Old 03-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I'm normally a 'cracker' and have good luck with higher grades coming my way.
Admittedly, I don't send them in unless I KNOW that they have been obviously
undergraded.

If you don't feel this certain, I'd say don't crack, so you don't lose what
is in hand already a sure thing. You may want to rethink even sending if
you don't feel certain a significant error in grading has been made.

good luck

barry

Old 03-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

If I have an undergraded card that I feel will grade up, I will crack out. Prime candidates for me are GAI 2.5s and 3.5s. Ive had several "tweeners" bump up a half grade - Ive also had a few go down a half grade. If I think the card deserves the assigned grade, I submit w/o cracking the card out and indicate a minimum acceptable grade for the cross (so they wont crack it out if they determine that the card is graded too high or trimmed, etc.) Most of the time when I dont crack the card out, the grade stays the same, though I have had a few that I submitted w/o cracking them that have bumped up a half to a full grade.