NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Bill Gregory

Default A Christmas miracle, of sorts. Against all odds...

Hey everybody,

I have a bit of an inspirational story to share with everyone, and I hope that this will help those on Net 54 who might be struggling a bit right now find strength.

Some, or many of you might remember that I have been on medical disability for the last five years, or so. For those of you who are new, or might not remember, about nine years ago, I hurt my back while helping my then girlfriend move into her new place. While carrying the very last thing to go into the apartment, one of those old 27" tube televisions, I started to lose my grip halfway up the stairs. I bent over a little bit, and felt something snap in my back. I fractured the T-12 vertebra, a 70% compression fracture. I also tore two discs in my lower back, and they bulged out under the pressure. It was also discovered that I have spinal stenosis. I had multiple surgeries to fix my back as much as possible, but when the issues began to reappear, all the doctors could do was keep me comfortable, as I was not a candidate for multi-tiered spinal fusion or disc replacement surgery. I worked on and off for a few years until my back got so bad I could barely get out of bed, even taking Vicodin every six hours. For the better part of the last five years, I slept, went to doctors appointments, and tried to maintain my sanity. Everything that I'd worked so hard to achieve had been taken away from me. The only possible "fix" on the horizon was an experimental stem cell procedure. But, of course, insurance would not cover it. I had the money saved to pay for the procedure, but not knowing if it would work or not seemed to be too great a gamble to take. That money was my safety net if I got hurt again, so I elected to continue saving specifically for the procedure, or hope that the insurance companies would change their opinion. I made the right decision, as I shattered the femur in my left leg into six pieces not long after joining Net 54, and spent nearly a month in the hospital fighting sepsis.

About four months ago, I'd reached my boiling point. My friends were getting married, having children, traveling, getting big promotions, and generally enjoying life. I was happy for them, of course, but I wanted my own life back, and I don't think that was being selfish. I had too much to accomplish in my life. I wanted to see the world, and I wasn't going to do any of it flat on my back. So, I began reading.

It occurred to me that, instead of relying on medicine, and technology, I might be able to improve my own health. I'd always been athletic in high school, and in college (before blowing out my knee), even with the bone issue I was born with. I thought maybe I could strengthen my body to the point where I could offset some of the stress on my back, thereby lessening the pain I experienced daily. I started making changes, little ones at first. The progress was slow. Too slow. But I soldiered on. First, I stopped drinking soda. I stopped drinking everything but water. Caffeine is the overnight stockbroker's best friend, but to somebody living a sedentary lifestyle, the chemicals in the soda were destructive. The calories were empty. I started getting up in the morning to make myself breakfast. High fiber, high protein. Lots of fresh fruit (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries...every day) with my shredded wheat and lite vanilla soy milk. High in calcium for my bones. I upped my vitamin D and calcium take, under doctor supervision. I ate more vegetables, and eliminated all fast food. I ate more meals each day, in order to boost my metabolism. I started shedding weight, enough to where I could get up, and try to get some exercise. I started doing 15 minute walks. Then half an hour. Progressing slowly, I was able to get up to two hours, at a pace just short of jogging. I started doing push ups on the stairs, the incline meaning less stress on my back. I felt surprisingly good doing all this. Then, I decided to really go for it. I signed up at a local gym, and began hitting the exercise bike. 45 minutes a day, every day. That went well. 5-600 calories being burned 6 days a week, with the improvements to my diet, shed more pounds. The stress on my spine lessened. Then, I began hitting the weights six weeks ago. After my 45 minutes of cardio, I now do an hour on weight machines. And, two weeks ago, I started working with resistance bands at home to strengthen my core.

I've been able to cut my pain medication from once every six hours to once every twelve hours, and there are times when I can skip one of those. I can sleep again, most nights, without a muscle relaxer. All the additional water retention I've realized from these drugs has gone. I've shed 43 pounds from when I was on the operating table for my second back surgery, and I've lost nearly 6 inches from my waistline. I'm seeing definition in my shoulders, back, chest, arms and legs that I haven't seen since college. My left knee no longer hurts, save for some soreness after exercising. But most importantly, if I can keep this up, and make my core strong enough, I should be able to get off of pain medication completely, using only the occasional over-the-counter medication. That would mean I could get medical clearance, get off of disability, and go back to work. My firm had already told me they have my position open should I resolve the medical issues. So, my life is there for the taking once again. Everything that had been taken away from me is within reach.

The bottom line is that I just decided that I was no longer going to be held captive by these injuries. The road back to where I am now has been incredibly hard, but completely worth it. My left leg, which has a foot long titanium rod and some 14 screws, and a completely rebuilt ACL, is strong.

Christmas is the time of miracles, and when I look at how far I have come, and the odds that I have battled, I can't help but feel that this is a miracle of sorts. It's amazing what we can accomplish when we put our minds to it, and refuse to be held down. So, to you, my friends, that might be struggling right now...keep fighting. Don't give up. We are all capable of doing incredible things if only we fight for them. I'm not quite where I need to be yet, but it's only a matter of time. I'll be back at work, and then able to really start working on my vintage and pre-war collections soon.

Merry Christmas, everybody! God Bless!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:13 PM

Way to go!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:15 PM
N
Banned

Wow! Praise God for His goodness in your life!
Fantastic story - it is truly awesome to see real commitment to making a change. I will be praying for you as you continue, Mr. Bill. Stay strong, don't give up! God still has a plan for you!
Merry Christmas,
NJ

Last edited by njdunkin1; 12-06-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:20 PM
Archive

Glad to hear you are feeling better!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 PM

Awesome story and good for you!
Backs are scary...I've always shied away from anything strenuous on my back etc (exercise-wise)

Good for you and blessings and continued good health!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:28 PM

That's incredible, Bill! You only live once and you took control. I wish you well on the road to recovery.

You know what you're doing, but if I could offer one piece of advice it would be to not get too amped up and don't push yourself too hard. Keep taking it steady and slow, and do the exercises that are least likely to lead to injury.

You also can't imagine how perfect the timing of your post is and how inspiring it is to me right now. As someone who's going through a fairly tough period of trying to overcome Vitamin D deficiency right now, I can relate to some of your story. I am in the early stages, so thanks for sharing this positive recap.

And when you get your job back and start pulling in the big bucks, don't go too crazy on all the new cards pickups.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 PM
David Kathman

That's awesome, Bill! I don't have any injuries comparable to yours (knock on wood), but about 7 years ago, I started running five days a week and reducing my sodium intake at the suggestion of my doctor, and it really made a huge difference in my energy level. Over the past year, due to a variety of stresses in my life, I've gained back most of the weight I had lost and become less strict about my running schedule (though I never stopped completely). I need to get back into the groove to get my weight and energy back to where they were, and you've inspired me!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Bill Gregory

Thank you, guys.

Chuck, believe me, I am being very careful. The temptation is there, of course, to overdo it...I have visions of a six pack dancing in my head (and not the kind with a pull tab!), because not only will that mean I've arrived at my destination, and my core is as strong as it can be, but that I'll be dating again, because I'm completely happy with my appearance. Five years of lying around is a lot to counteract, but I'm making great progress. Just 2.5 more inches until I'm back at my 32" waistline, which is where I was in college. Back then, I was playing basketball 6 hours a day, so that's as good as I can get.

Hang in there. The first steps are the hardest. I had really terrible T levels, so bad that my physician got me on testosterone cypionate. If anything, I felt like I had too much. But tests don't lie. I had a slight vitamin D deficiency, and since bone density is so important for me, we upped the daily intake of that and calcium to the max levels. I'll be re-tested here in another month, or so, and I'm expecting my levels have normalized. The weight training will help with bone density, too.

Take it one day at a time. Little steps are not immediately satisfying, but a bunch of them will get you to where you need to be. I'm proof of that. I'm getting compliments again when I go out, and that's the best positive reinforcement there is. When I see an attractive woman, and she smiles while making eye contact, or flirts with me while talking, that's all the further motivation I need (and much better, frankly, than getting that '34 Goudey Gehrig I want!) I'll keep you in my prayers. You will get there.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Tim

Way to go Bill!! Your perseverance is inspirational. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Bill Gregory

David, I cut out salt, too. I've never been a big salt shaker guy (my father, however, is another story), but I never payed attention to sodium content in foods I bought. Now, I do, and since becoming more conscientious of salt, I find that I'm retaining a lot less water (that, and reducing the narcotic pain meds, together with exercise, has made an incredibly noticeable difference in the puffiness of my face. I look almost back to 100% normal).

The biggest change, I think, as simple as it sounds, was getting soda out of my system, and drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day. I have one of those really nice 24 oz Contigo double vacuum drink containers, and 14 hours later, if I haven't finished everything inside, there's still ice. I love my water cold, so this thing makes going through a lot of water so easy. And this water has flushed a lot of impurities out of my body. I sleep better, and feel better (and have no more caffeine headaches).

Body chemistry is such a delicate thing. Making a few simple changes can have immediate, lasting benefits. Like you had experienced, I've had a huge boost to my energy level. I don't "love" going to the gym, but I don't have any problems getting motivated to go in. After, I stop and get a 20 oz gladiator protein smoothie with blueberries and banana. Banana is a high natural sugar fruit, but my friend in Houston, who is a certified personal trainer, said for what I am doing, the benefits outweigh the sugar content. For one thing, I am able to bounce back much more quickly after a workout, as bananas reduce muscle soreness. And the anti-oxidants in berries are wonderful for health.

The 45 g of protein is great, as protein is the big fat burner. I go to Smoothie King when I haven't had my scrambled eggs with breakfast. Easy to digest whey protein is my rocket fuel, really.

Good luck with getting back to where you were. Just stay consistent, and you'll get back there.

Happy to be of some inspiration to you guys.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Bill Gregory

Thank you, Tim!

Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 PM

Default Wishing you the best!

Bill,

Thanks for sharing your positive story. We all have the ability to make changes for the better in our lives. It starts with the positive attitude, eating healthy, and having balance.

Continued success and Happy Holidays!

Patrick
Old 12-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Jason Albregts

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Paul Carek

I don't know you, Bill, but I'm proud of you. Thanks so much for sharing your story, and good luck!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 PM
Luke Lyon

Bill, that's awesome, really happy for you! None of that stuff is easy, so congrats on getting started and keeping with it.

Everything you're doing sounds great, except you may be over-doing it with the weights. I'm not a personal trainer and I don't have a medical degree, so it's best to check with someone who is/does. I do know my way around a gym though, and if you are spending a full hour on weight machines, it probably means you are hitting multiple body parts. This is fine if you are taking rest days, but if you are lifting 6 days a week you may be hitting each body part too often. You'll know better than I do just based on how you feel. If you are feeling sore, it's best to rest that body part or take a full day off from the weights. A lot of strength training workouts only consist of 3 or 4 lift days per week because rest is just as important as the lifting and eating right. I can elaborate if you are interested, but I'll keep it somewhat concise and stop there.

This is an awesome, all natural supplement that helps your muscles recover overnight and can even help you sleep more soundly. It should have a noticeable impact on your muscle soreness the day after lifting. It's just Vitamin B6, Magnesium, and Zinc. A bunch of companies make it so you can just shop for the best price:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/zma.html
Old 12-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Louie Michaud

Very cool story, thanks for sharing
Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 PM
Sean Costello

Bill, glad to hear the good news. I hope you have continued improvement in the new year.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:37 AM
pete ullman

Bill...congrats... that is awesome good for you !!! Soda /pop is absolutely useless to us in all ways... from a nutritional/health standpoint. And the medical institution just wants people to remain sick! We all have the power to improve our lives through better diet and exercise. Kudos to u for making it happen!
Old 12-07-2016, 05:29 AM
Dave_Berg

Sounds like you've turned a big corner Bill, congratulations and keep up the hard work that got you feeling so much better.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:34 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Bill:

The older you get the more things in your body don't work the way they used to. It's frustrating because mentally you never think you are as old as your chronological age. Wishful thinking. Getting up in the morning is always an adventure for me as not all my body parts wake up at the same time!

Diet and exercise are the things that keep you moving.

Good for you taking charge of your life and congratulations on your success.

Kevin
Old 12-07-2016, 06:03 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Good for you Bill and stay after it!!
Larry
Old 12-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Kyle May

What a story. God Bless and Merry Christmas!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 12-07-2016, 06:16 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

It is nice to read good news. Keep it up, Bill!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 06:48 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Awesome stuff. I know when you are generally a busy active person sitting around for a while can quickly sap the life out of you. Good to hear you turned a corner.

As far as exercise goes, I'd really recommend pilates classes if there is anywhere in your area. Great for strenthening your core yet is little or no impact and is all about lengthening and stretching. I do in once in a while and its great.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congrats and glad to hear it, Bill. Keep taking it slow and easy like our hobby and it sounds like you have a great chance to kick your issues out the back door. Good goin'!!
Old 12-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Doug Doremus

Default Get well--

Great, uplifting story, Bill, with some important life-lessons.

Thanks for sharing it.
We're all rooting for you.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Thanks for sharing this story! Well done and best of luck in the future!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:06 AM
qualitycards

Bill great job
Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 AM
Rich Rockwood

Love it! Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Ben North

That is awesome Bill, wishing you as full of recovery as possible.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Derek Granger

AWESOME! Keep at it Bill!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 12-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Al Richter

An inspiring story
Old 12-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Bill- Thanks for sharing...especially the details. I have a comparatively easy path to take since pain hasn't been an issue since my surgery.

My lack of self discipline has left me very over-weight well past my designated recovery period.

I'm going to try to at least cut way down on the sodas and the fast food.

Plenty of excuses have been used -
'but the food just tastes so good!';
I'm not over-weight, I'm under-tall;
I'm not fat, I'm gravity-enhanced.

Obviously, I'm trying to be JOLLY about it this month - and I'll really work on it in January!

Thank you once again, Bill, for providing a good example to follow...I sincerely appreciate it.

Happy Holidays Everyone,
Raymond

sc

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Awesome news bill! So happy for u, keep it up!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Bill Gregory

Thank you, all.

Luke, I'll look into that supplement. I've started cutting it back a little bit on the weights. I've been rotating which areas of the body I'm working on a given day, and supplementing with the bands at home. I've got a certified trainer friend in Houston I've been working with. He's known me since high school, so he's aware of my issues.

Happy holidays, everybody!

Old 12-07-2016, 05:45 PM
D0NN1E B

This is a great comeback story. Congrats Bill and thanks for sharing. Best of luck to you moving forward.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Michael S.

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said.

Bill, You took your life into your own hands and have turned a tough situation into a positive, motivational one! Keep working hard and reap the rewards that living life has to offer. Enjoy your holidays!!!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Very happy to hear of your progress and improvement. I too have been taking action to make changes to my health and wellness over the last 18 months and made great progress. While I haves been doing it I found inspiration in others hat I knew that were working to improve as well. Most didn't even know they were inspiring me. Then suddenly I found Inwas the one inspiring others to take action. Thank you for sharing your story and success as the impact it has on others is likely to be larger than you will ever fully realize.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:25 PM

Hi Bill,
You shared the frustration you felt while seeing your peers have success in life. What you described above is not only personal success, but succeeding while against the odds. I think that is very impressive and truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. We Brewers fans are a resiient bunch! The very best of luck to you in the future Bill.
Curt

Last edited by horzverti; 12-08-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Marc Powers

Default Great Story!

Bill, Thanks for sharing your story!! Never give up!! God Bless and Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Jimmy

keep it going - God bless and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Way to take charge, Bill! That is the stuff champions are made of. Keep chasing it, man. You'll get there.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Bill,

Wishing you good health. Thank you for sharing your story. You never know who you will reach and inspire, and someone is going to benefit from your story.

Life is very precious. Take it one day at a time, and enjoy it.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:46 PM
ThreadKiller

Default ...

Bill:

I've posted this a few times in similar threads, but it's appropriate once again...

best of luck and...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3410283-65 never-give-up-frog.jpg (69.3 KB, 245 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:43 PM

Thanks for sharing, Bill. I've made some health changes in the last six months and your story provides continued motivation and encouragement. Be blessed.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:02 AM
Rich Klein

Now that you are getting better, come on over to Plano to one of my shows so I (we) can meet you. Leon also loves to meet board members and it makes our day to see them come to my show
Old 12-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Bill, glad to hear things are going so well for you. Wishing you continued success and well being in 2017 and beyond.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 12-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I had no idea you were going through this Bill ! Glad you are getting better stay strong 💪🏼 . This is very inspirational
Old 12-08-2016, 02:00 PM
ErikV

Default Re: A Christmas miracle, of sorts. Against all odds...

Bill,

I'll first start by stating I rarely read off topic posts. For whatever reason your
post caught my attention, and having a similar experience, felt inclined to share.

I am very happy to hear how well your coming around. Your progress sounds
slow, but that's ok. A little progress at a time is better than no progress at all.

Three years ago I filed a workers comp claim for my back. I was in excruciating
pain and was immediately taken off work. After a full series of tests I was told
I had eight bulging disks from the back of my neck, down to the tailbone. The
four disc bulges (L2-3,L3-4,L4-5,L5-S1) were the most severe and causing the
most amount of discomfort. Conventional treatment (physical therapy, acupuncture,
meds and stretching) were only bringing minimal amount of relief. This ordeal
lasted 2+ years until May of 2016 when I was approved for a dorsal stimulator.

http://www.spine-health.com/video/sp...-implant-video

I've been using this device for six months now and I'm pleased with the results.
The nice thing is I'm completely off the OxyContin I was taking 2x daily. I'm
walking one mile a day and have dropped 25 pounds. Depending on how one
looks at, I did get medically retired yesterday. So, while I never planned on
being retired at age 48, at least I still have a fair amount of quality of life. With
my wife working I now get to stay home and play Mr. Mom!

In short, while I'm still grappling with the fact I'm now retired, these things
happen for reasons. Just keep doing what your doing and give your body the
energy and rest it needs. It's a slow journey, so just take it one day at a time.

Stay well my friend and best of luck to you.

ErikV
Old 12-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Tom Boblitt

Bill.....great story. I've taken the last year to get a grip on my own life and have lost a ton of weight and feel better as well. The overall best part is the improvement in my outlook and feeling like I have control and it sounds like that's a huge improvement for you as well. Keep up the good work and be sure to care for your back.

My wife works in a pain management practice at a local hospital and she will almost always advocate that people don't have back surgery. I know some have to have it but she sees SO many people that it just didn't help, so keep up the core strengthening and work out safely.

Sleeping much better here and my wife tells me I don't snore much anymore......more of a benefit for HER than me, but I'll take it..........