NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-15-2016, 02:40 PM
Max Weder

Default Christy or Henry?

This doesn't look like Christy to me, despite the "C. Mathewson".

It's a 1906 Giants folding postcard set. Could this be Henry who was briefly on the team in 1906?

Or is my eyesight just worse than I thought?

Max
Old 03-15-2016, 02:52 PM
David Kathman

It's hard to tell at this resolution, but I agree that that doesn't look like Christy. Are there photos of Henry Mathewson somewhere?

That photo of Dummy Taylor is the one used for his T206.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:55 PM
David Kathman

Here's a picture of Henry Mathewson. That does look like him in your picture, much more than Christy.

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/1253b17f

Last edited by trdcrdkid; 03-15-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Paul Herbener

It does look more like Henry than Christy but I doubt Henry would've been included on a 1906 schedule since he debuted at the very end of the 1906 season.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
It does look more like Henry than Christy but I doubt Henry would've been included on a 1906 schedule since he debuted at the very end of the 1906 season.
I don't know if it's Henry or not, but he was with the Giants in Spring Training and came north with the team, just didn't play anything except exhibition games.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Jeremy W.

Default Here's Henry

This might be him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hmatty.jpg (31.4 KB, 160 views)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Max Weder

I'll post a better resolution when I get the item in hand. It's part of an 18 player photo folding card set. Rip 'em apart and slab 'em! Presto! A new card set! (just kidding of course)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Larry

Definitely doesn't look like Christy.

Best regards,

Larry
Old 03-15-2016, 05:32 PM
David Kathman

To me, the postcard definitely looks like Henry in both the picture I posted and the one JeremyW posted. From the SABR bio I posted a link to:

"In the spring of 1906, the Chicago National League Base Ball Club desired Henry as a member of their team, but “Hank” refused the offer, preferring to join his brother with the New York Giants. Perhaps with some twisting of his arm by Christy, Manager John McGraw extended an invitation to Henry to join the Giants’ spring training camp in Marlin, Texas. It may also have been that Christy was ill with diphtheria for a good part of the season, and McGraw figured that he needed a Mathewson in the ranks to sell tickets.

Hank’s young battery mate was a different “Matty,” Matthew Fitzgerald of Albany, New York, who appeared in 11 games over 2 years with the Giants in 1906 and 1907 before being released. With Henry’s name inked to an agreement with the Giants, the newspapers took notice of the younger Mathewson. Headlines, the like of which proclaimed the coming of the next “Matty”, started appearing in New York and were taken up by other papers across the country due to the popularity of the elder Mathewson. This attention from the press would continue to follow Hank throughout his career.

While there may not have been much excitement in the southern portion of spring training, Henry certainly found excitement upon his arrival in New York. Henry and fellow young pitcher Cecil Ferguson were captivated by the New York skyline as seen from the New Jersey shore. The veterans on the team had to corral the youngsters to make sure that the two made it onto the ferry safely. A few nights later, after seeing their names in the city’s newspaper and feeling a little cosmopolitan, Cecil and Hank decided to head to the bright lights of Broadway from their quarters on 126th Street. Upon their return home, they got off the subway at 125th Street and Broadway. Not seeing any recognizable landmarks, the pair started walking aimlessly and became hopelessly lost. They had to hire a cab to deliver them to their home. Arriving home, they discovered that their teammates had noticed the disappearance of the boys, and sounded the alarm to begin a search. As a result, McGraw assigned chaperones; with catcher William “Doc” Marshall being in charge of handling Henry and pitcher Joe McGinnity responsible for Cecil’s passage through the streets of New York until the two could be educated as to how to navigate the subway system.

The younger Mathewson was largely ineffective in the exhibition games, even against college competition. As a result, Hank was assigned to the Giants’ bench to observe and gain experience. Family in high places among the Giants apparently had its privileges. The members of the 1905 championship team were photographed for a series of cabinet cards bearing the images of the players at the Polo Grounds with the words “World Champions” printed across the bottom of the cards. Hank was photographed for this series even though he spent 1905 back in Factoryville."