NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 AM
keith janosky

Default Inside the Park Collectible auction. What a pleasure

I won a few things in last nights auction from Inside the Park Collectibles. I have won before to. I don't know Lou over there and have never meet him but for him to run an auction with NO BUYERS PREMIUM IS awesome. Just to know that what you win is the price you'll pay. I won 2 bats and a plate and postage was 20.00. What other auction company would charge 20.00 for that to be shipped. NO ONE. Very reasonable on shipping. Nice to bid on things without a 17-20% B.P. and it can be done if he is doing it. Even Paragon auctions is doing a no B.P. and it seems to work. Great for buyers and that is what it is all about. Puts more money in the Consigners pocket to because the bidder maybe will go a little higher. Keep up the good work Lou. keith

Last edited by keithsky; 04-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

I have a general question (independent of what auction house we're talking about, which is irrelevent in this case): Why is it "great for buyers" to have no premium? What does it matter to me as a buyer if the $960 I pay for an item is broken down as an $800 bid and a $160 premium or if the entire amount is my bid? Either way, I'm paying $960 for the item.

Do that many people place bids without knowing there's a buyer's premium, and then they're surprised by the 15 to 20 percent that's added to their winning bid? I think that buyer's premiums have been around long enough that they're the rule and not the exception -- and that bidders would be aware of them. But I certainly could be wrong.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:40 AM

Rob -

I participate in an auction that has no BP - and though everything you said makes sense and is correct..... as a bidder, I like that format so much more. Much, much more.

It is probably all psychological.....
but as a bidder - without the buyers premium - I feel that I am not being 'charged' or 'taxed'. I feel it is the proper way to be treated as a customer. And, that any selling fee should actually be charged to the seller (not me! - why the heck am I being charged?!? yes, psychological).

Of course - it probably all equals out to be the same....

but - the only reason there is a BP is because auction houses are using the reverse of that very same psychology to court consignors.

Last edited by bijoem; 04-09-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

A buyer's premium just means an extra calculation. Other than that it is utterly irrelevant whether the house's cut is called a buyer's premium or a seller's premium.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Thank you Keith for the kind words. We try to run our auctions with the collector in mind. For those of you who think you are paying the same and calculate the buyer's premium into your bidding you may be correct- but I will argue that many bidders get caught up in the moment and do not figure in the BP when bidding. Suddenly that $1,000 bid is now $1,200 and the good deal you thought you got - is not so good anymore. We at Inside the Park Collectibles have never felt that the buyer should be punished for buying something from us. Can you imagine going to a Sports Memorabilia Show and striking a deal with a vendor for $100 - then he says to you- but I have to add 20% to the total? How would that sit with you?

As far as shipping goes- we never try to make any money on the shipping. I once bought a baseball related post card from one of the bigger auction houses and they hit me for a $36 shipping charge. A post card! I called up and said "Unless you are shipping via the Pony Express I don't think it should cost more than $5 to ship." I ended up paying the $36 and never bid with them again.

Again thanks to all of you who over the years have participated in our auctions. We're not very big - but sometimes we get some pretty cool stuff.

Lou
www.insidetheparkcollectibles.com
Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Criscione View Post
Can you imagine going to a Sports Memorabilia Show and striking a deal with a vendor for $100 - then he says to you- but I have to add 20% to the total? How would that sit with you?

Lou,

That's not a fair analogy at all. I've never bid in an auction and had the auction house tell me after the fact that I would be paying a premium, which is the hypothetical situation you describe.

That being said, I can understand why some bidders celebrate not paying a buyers premium. I don't share in their euphoria, but I understand it.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 PM

My analogy may not be totally correct- but my point is that whether you believe it or not- a buyer's premium is a tax on the item. Why don't the auction houses who use a BP show you the exact amount your bid will cost you including the buyer's premium? I think if they did this - many bidders might get scared off their bids.
Let's just agree to disagree.