NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Brian Marshall

Default Grading Oversized Cards

I've just purchased an oversized card I would like to get graded, primarily to protect the card from my ownership. I was wondering if there were any opinions as to whether PSA or SGC was better at protecting oversized cards. I'm leaning towards submitting through SGC, since I work in Parsippany about half the time, which means I can at minimum, pick up the card in person, but could be convinced to submit to PSA as well if the option is better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

if your only concern is protection then I'd go PSA, large cards seem to slip under the gasket more often in SGC's over-sized holders vs their normal sized holders from my experience.

of course there are much better ways to protect cards than grading but I digress.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

What kind of card is it? Some of the very thin ones do have some issues in SGC slabs but some float around in PSA slabs and do not present well so they each have pluses and minuses.

I think both companies postage is around $10+, also no membership needed for SGC vs PSA $100.

Its only one card sub I would say stop by and talk to SGC since you are already in the area, cant beat that.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Depends on the card. I've had good luck with normal thickness large cards in SGC holders and I think the presentation is much better than the PSA holder:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

For postcard-sized and oversized (up to 5x7), I like PSA's holders better. They are thicker and sturdier. SGC's larger holders tend to be easier to compromise or crack open during shipping. For standard size holders, SGC is sturdier than PSA.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Am I the only one

I sometimes think I am the only one that hates SGC holders. I think the quality of plastic is rather low, I dont trust the gasket not damaging cards either through movement or a chemical reaction with the cards they are up against. as to the best of my knowledge it is not made from a material that has been tested not to cause damage over time. I also loathe the cheap 1980's looking print of the label.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Cosmetically, I prefer the SGC holders, but as Gary said, I do think they are easier to crack so you need to be a bit more careful with them.

DJ
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiottax View Post
I've just purchased an oversized card I would like to get graded, primarily to protect the card from my ownership.
For protection, I'd recommend consideration of a 3rd option - Beckett.

You could leave the card out in your neighborhood street overnight and rest assured no damage in the morning. Assuming its not stolen
Old 09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's true, Rob, I forgot about Beckett. Their holders are damned tough, the worst to crack by a large margin. That said, I recently bought a Topps notebook page encapsulated in one of their big item holders and had to return it because it had cracked badly in shipping. Seller sent it in a padded envelope and a corner got munched. The moral of the story is that no matter how good the holder the USPS can mangle it if the packaging isn't right. I don't like the way cards look in the Beckett holder but between the card condom and the holder itself, it is definitely the best storage of the big three.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-26-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Brian Marshall

Thanks for all of the helpful recommendations.

To close the loop, I ended up taking my oversized card (a 1910 Plowboy Orval Overall) to SGC for grading today. Essentially, the poor shipping of the seller left me with no practical way to effectively ship the card to Beckett, but I was able to fashion something together to safely transport the card from my home to SGC's offices.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
if your only concern is protection then I'd go PSA, large cards seem to slip under the gasket more often in SGC's over-sized holders vs their normal sized holders from my experience.

of course there are much better ways to protect cards than grading but I digress.

Anyone out there with experience slabbing R315's in SGC holders and them slipping? I have a Ruth and like the looks of the SGC holder better, but not at the expense of having the card slipping around.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I think you will be fine on the R315 in a tallboy SGC slab, they are a little thinner than an exhibit but I believe still thick enough to not slip. I only have one but it looks great and fits just right. Just for reference I have had over 1000 exhibits slabbed at SGC and have yet to have one slip outside the gasket. Also on a card at that value I am pretty sure they will cut it a custom gasket, if your worried call Earl at SGC and im sure he will help.