NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default Collectors Forensics Register

I see that the previous thread on this company was closed by the op. Why would someone want to come on here, advertise their company/product and then when inquiring minds want to know a little more about it and his credentials, he wants it locked? I for one see nothing wrong leaving it open since he/they are the ones that came on here to use this board to advertise their product free of charge.

By them being childish, condenscending, secretive and requesting to have it locked says enough for me about ever using their service.

Leon,
In the future, I would recommend that anyone that wants to advertise their company/product free, unless it gets personnal, it shouldn't be locked by their request. There was quite a bit of interacting with other board members that has now been locked out of further discussions.

Just my thoughts.

r/
Frank
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Since his venture went down the crapper. Perhaps he can just hang out here with the N54 membership for a while, and learn what concerns us most about the hobby.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Frank

Frank- same rules for everyone. I try to be fair and that has been the way it's been done before.I have locked a many a thread at OP's request. I have a feeling there will be some more info coming sooner than later, which will shed more light on this situation. Thanks for your thoughts. best regards
Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Rich Klein

Default and perhaps

They were not used to this message board which takes good subjects; turns them into interesting rabbit trails and then gets back to business.

Or perhaps they were not quite ready for some of the questions brought up

Or, they realized they had to go back to the drawing board for some questions

Or,..... they wanted to do their press release and explain some more and divulge their names

Regards
Rich
Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Or perhaps they were not quite ready for some of the questions brought up

Yeah! Some of the hard questions, like... What is your name?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default difficult quesstion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Yeah! Some of the hard questions, like... What is your name?
This is the one that usually stumps me and sends me back to the drawing board. Once I get passed it though....damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!!

Last edited by Leon; 11-13-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM
FredYoung

Once I get passed it though

Just for once I want to beat Barry to the punch! It should be "past" Leon--sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Once I get passed it though

Just for once I want to beat Barry to the punch! It should be "past" Leon--sorry, I couldn't resist!

I changed the word without looking it up, from past to passed. Here is my Webster's College Dictionary in front of me. It says:

passed- v.1. to move past; go by:... 8. to go beyond a point ...

past- adj.1. gone by or elapsed time.

Actually Fred I might just stick with my original use of the word, though I would hate to debate it.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I changed the word without looking it up, from past to passed. Here is my Webster's College Dictionary in front of me. It says:

Actually Fred I might just stick with my original use of the word, though I would hate to debate it.
The internet being the source of all knowledge:

Grammar 101: get past it vs. get passed it

28 Jan 2010 3 Comments

by pant0mime in education Tags: grammar

How did you get past it? VS. How did you get passed it?

Which one is the correct sentence here? English Majors mahiya kayo if you picked the second one. Haha.

There are people who are confused with the two sentences, especially when it’s spoken because past and passed sound a bit similar. But that’s where their similarities end. The two words have very different meaning.

When you say get PAST it, the word “past” doesn’t refer to either time or tense. The closest word you could substitute it with is “by”, so you can also say, “how did you get by it?”

The whole expression means how did you recover from something or how did you deal with it.

However, how did you get passed it is so wrong on so many levels. Haha. But first, let’s take at the word “passed” and take a look what it means.

The base form pass can mean “to hand over something to someone else”, “to go through some place”, or the antonym of fail.. In this context, I believe the confusion comes from the word meaning “to go through”.

But if you’re going to mean that, the word pass should always be accompanied by the word “by”. The correct term now for the meaning “to go through” is “pass by” or “passed by” for the past tense. Eg. Did you pass by the supermarket on your way home? Saying, “Did you pass the supermarket on our way home?” is incorrect.

That being said, how did you get passed it is very confusing. I think the word “passed” in the sentence is confused to mean “to go through” but there is the missing “by”.

Suppose we say, “how did you get passed by it?”

Does it make the sentence correct?

No. Because the confusion stems from people taking the expression literally when it’s just a figure of speech.

Also, it still has two main verbs. “get passed” doesn’t make sense.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Barry Sloate

Adding to the confusion is "past" and "passed" are homonyms. When two words have identical pronunciations one is far more likely to mix them up.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:

not to belabor the tangent here, but I think the verb in the original sentence is "get", thus making the word in question to be an adverb, therefore it would be correct to say "past".
Old 11-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default it all makes sense now

It all makes cents now...thanks fellas
Old 11-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
It all makes cents now...thanks fellas
I think you meant to say it all makes sents
Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 PM
FredYoung

Geez Leon--see what you started

After reading all posts it now makes perfect scents to me!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Bruce Babcock

Trying to stay on topic, when the time has past and the CFR press release comes out, we will see that all of our concerns are now in the passed.

Or not.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 PM
De.rek Pul.atie

Default So

I hope this doesnt catch on because then we will have someone grading the case that graded the case that graded both cases and then the consumer will grade it for the forth time. To much effort for a 2010 PSA 10 card if you ask me.
PSA first
Then this guy who now makes millions after it catches on
Now we have the new Ill grade the old guys deal.
Now me
And oh yeah it's a 2010 Upper deck baseball card. Total value before grading .05
After fees 50.00
Nice

Last edited by cobblove; 11-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Johnny S

Don't buy the card,buy the graded grade.