NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

This card has been available as a BIN for weeks by a very reputable seller for $110, while the second card sold last night for $130.50. I was watching the PWCC card because I falsely assumed it would go for under $100. The buyer of the PWCC card had a feedback rating over 2000. This was not some novice buyer. I just don't get why someone would pay more for the same card that's been available for weeks for about 25% less than he ended up paying.

I know this card is very small potatoes, and it's not exactly apples to apples, but I wonder, overall, if it suggests some type of psychological effect that large, big name auctions have on people. The excitement of bidding in an auction where cards are selling for tens of thousands of dollars, and you're a part of that. I find it fascinating.

110.jpg
130.jpg
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Robert Williams

I call it the "PWCC Effect". It would make a great college thesis. It combines elements of sociology, psychology, and business all rolled into one. It is basically the same thing Mastro did years earlier, except on maybe a larger scale, and with an added element (The PWCC HE designation is sheer marketing genius at no added cost).
Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Ron Skaggs

Default Winning observation

Hi All
I have an observation and wondering if any other have had the same.
I purchased 50+ lots and it seems that the under bidder on a majority of the lots that were 5's was the same bidder with 100% bids on his auctions. That this bidder places a bid of between $69 and $72. w***r (183. Now if this bidder didn't place these bids i would have won them at half the price. Am i out of line thinking this way? Or maybe this bidder was thinking maybe he could get these Obaks and a great price and resell and placing these bids at $69-72 would yield more profits than $38. I know we place bids on what we are willing to pay and I a tickled to get these Obaks and what i feel is a good price but just thinking hmm. What if

Ronald Skaggs
Old 11-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Emlily Ell.is

If I were to consider selling my collection or any big cards, I'd consider consigning like that instead of listing them myself. Seems that gets more money than just me listing and selling on my own.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 11-13-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Jeff Lowe

Default Are the cards worth more if PWCC sells them ?

?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I find that people that put !!!!!! in the title of their threads usually invite drama
Old 11-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I find that people that put !!!!!! in the title of their threads usually invite drama
Sigh...you win Jake...I'll give you the last word.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 AM
j.oe b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
This card has been available as a BIN for weeks by a very reputable seller for $110, while the second card sold last night for $130.50. I was watching the PWCC card because I falsely assumed it would go for under $100. The buyer of the PWCC card had a feedback rating over 2000. This was not some novice buyer. I just don't get why someone would pay more for the same card that's been available for weeks for about 25% less than he ended up paying.

I know this card is very small potatoes, and it's not exactly apples to apples, but I wonder, overall, if it suggests some type of psychological effect that large, big name auctions have on people. The excitement of bidding in an auction where cards are selling for tens of thousands of dollars, and you're a part of that. I find it fascinating.

Attachment 294742
Attachment 294743
The PSA card has much better centering. I'd rather have that card for an extra $20 too.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 AM
pete ullman

this is funny...talk about beating a dead horse. if you want your cards to sell as high as others with pwcc...you have to shill them...or have someone else shill them...its pretty simple.

well centered cards sell better than non well centered cards...this is fact...even more so lately than ever.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
this is funny...talk about beating a dead horse. if you want your cards to sell as high as others with pwcc...you have to shill them...or have someone else shill them...its pretty simple.

well centered cards sell better than non well centered cards...this is fact...even more so lately than ever.
I don't think centering was vastly different on the Lefty Grove '6' vs the Lefty Grove '7'. I think the phenomenon of a PWCC seller on the '7' versus a normal Joe Blow on the '6', made the $1400 and some change difference.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb View Post
The PSA card has much better centering. I'd rather have that card for an extra $20 too.
That was my thought too. The top card has a very thin border at the top.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:35 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

Attachment 294742
Attachment 294743
I had about 70 T202 PSA 5s....i can tell you the 75-200 price point happens all the time on those. If i listed a BIN...nobody would offer 150..but if several cards were listed in the same auction...for the convenience some buyers would just purchase a few (30 dollars over market) to go with the the rest of the cards they wanted. There are a lot more factors then who the seller is.

I can also tell you i had some of these t202 listed at a start price fo $120 with no takers...but then i'd list them again at 80 dollars and they would get bid to $150...

sometimes certain buyers are willing to pay more on a certain day..other times there are buyers that get a big windfall.......
Old 11-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I placed bids on 11 T206's that were listed by PWCC. All had very nice centering and were graded by PSA between 5 and 6. Needless to say I didn't win a single card.
Several sold for much more than what I expected.
I guess cards that present nicely will sell for more that "ugly" cards.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
I placed bids on 11 T206's that were listed by PWCC. All had very nice centering and were graded by PSA between 5 and 6. Needless to say I didn't win a single card.
Several sold for much more than what I expected.
I guess cards that present nicely will sell for more that "ugly" cards.
Was the Lefty Grove in the '6' ugly? I didn't think so? But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Jason Greco

With PWCC and Probstein, or any large consignment firm for any hobby, they have three big things going for them. 1) They are reliable. It's not just some guy selling a card. 2) They do auctions, which combined with the reliability, draws people in. Who isn't watching a PSA 6 that's .99? They rely to some degree on the competitiveness of people bidding. 3) Listing a ton of cards at once is beneficial. It creates the one-stop-shop/"Oh, I get a discount on shipping for multiple items" effect. It works .... clearly.

Smaller sellers should just use a BIN with BO listing, know what you need to get, and go from there. If you bought a card for $400 more than you got for it, and you listed it shortly after getting it, then surely the idea was to make money from the go. Clearly auctions aren't working for you, so try something different. Unless you need to unload something quickly at the risk of doing so for less money, don't do an auction.
Hindu Brown: 1/34

****NY Highlanders Team Set****
Basic Team Set: 13/28
Master Team Set: 13/315
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco827 View Post
With PWCC and Probstein, or any large consignment firm for any hobby, they have three big things going for them. 1) They are reliable. It's not just some guy selling a card. 2) They do auctions, which combined with the reliability, draws people in. Who isn't watching a PSA 6 that's .99? They rely to some degree on the competitiveness of people bidding. 3) Listing a ton of cards at once is beneficial. It creates the one-stop-shop/"Oh, I get a discount on shipping for multiple items" effect. It works .... clearly.

Smaller sellers should just use a BIN with BO listing, know what you need to get, and go from there. If you bought a card for $400 more than you got for it, and you listed it shortly after getting it, then surely the idea was to make money from the go. Clearly auctions aren't working for you, so try something different. Unless you need to unload something quickly at the risk of doing so for less money, don't do an auction.

+1000

It's time to change your business model. A simple switch to BIN should yield positive results for you my friend.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Yes it does seem that Robert does a fair share of complaining but I can relate to his frustration here. I do not think there is a full grade difference technically speaking on the two cards but clearly there are lots of holder buyers and a 7 is a much more significant grade on this card.

I am often disappointed in most of my consignments because typically in a true auction format where cards are not protected the results are nothing to write home about unless you have cards that are hot. The answer is to not compare apples to oranges because that is what you are doing if you compare your ebay listing to that of a PWCC listing.

I have been parking a good deal of stuff in my eBay store and wait it out to get my price or at least something close to what I want.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default PWCC oranges must be very tasty ..

Their cards sell for much more than anyone else’s on eBay . Good for them I only hope it’s for all the right reasons . Now we are all numb on this subject . Like other subjects that come up occassionly here .
Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrompa View Post
Their cards sell for much more than anyone else’s on eBay . Good for them I only hope it’s for all the right reasons . Now we are all numb on this subject . Like other subjects that come up occassionly here .
Touche....to quote the late, great Jack Soo from Barney Miller. His last line on the show. "I have nothing to add".
Old 11-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrompa View Post
More than other sellers on ebay yes, but not more than the major AHs.

I have tried to sell $2000 and $3000 and $5000 cards on eBay and gone nowhere. People are hesitant to wire some dude somewhere real money, even with good feedback. Say what you want about PWCC (and I often have), they are a known brand and people feel comfortable buying (or overpaying for) high end (HE) cards from them.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Was the Lefty Grove in the '6' ugly? I didn't think so? But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Uh, I believe that I stated T206's.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
I can also tell you i had some of these t202 listed at a start price fo $120 with no takers...but then i'd list them again at 80 dollars and they would get bid to $150...
In ebays early days they did a study and discovered that auctions end up with higher prices, on average, when the auctions start at $0.99.

Even though I know this is true, I'm still hesitant to do that with my better items.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
In ebays early days they did a study and discovered that auctions end up with higher prices, on average, when the auctions start at $0.99.

Even though I know this is true, I'm still hesitant to do that with my better items.
In my case it wasn't true at all. He had not ONE, but TWO people willing to pay $900 for the card upon receipt (not sure what happened to the first buyer, but it obviously sold again less than 24 hours later). Meanwhile, I barely crack $700 with a .99 cent auction. Where were these buyers when the card was auctioned off? I will never list a $1,000 card ever again on my own.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:41 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
In my case it wasn't true at all. He had not ONE, but TWO people willing to pay $900 for the card upon receipt (not sure what happened to the first buyer, but it obviously sold again less than 24 hours later). Meanwhile, I barely crack $700 with a .99 cent auction. Where were these buyers when the card was auctioned off? I will never list a $1,000 card ever again on my own.
well since the cards at issue were under $1000 you are free to continue to auction that kind of card on your own..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-29-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
well since the cards at issue were under $1000 you are free to continue to auction that kind of card on your own..
Dude you never have anything nice to add to anything. Start being nicer to people.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Dude you never have anything nice to add to anything. Start being nicer to people.
Some people are just cynics....I get it.....He don't have to be nice to me....the hobby is big enough for all kinds of assholes :-p
Old 11-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Poor comparison one is a 6 one is a 7

This is not a great comparison, a bump up in grade even just one level can sometimes mean 2-3 times or even more jump in price. This complaint makes little to no sense to me.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned

Bobby buys a PSA 6 U.S. Caramel Lefty Grove in Heritage Auctions -- the largest auction house in America -- for $1,020 on Oct. 15.

Bobby attempts to flip it on eBay less than a month later, starting his auction at 99 cents and offering himself no protection. Card sells for $730.

New owner of the card sells it himself (not with PWCC) on Nov. 21 as a Buy It Now -- offering himself protection -- for $895, which is still less than what the card sold for in Heritage.

And this thread was started to rant about PWCC. Because PWCC sold a PSA 7 example of the same card. For more money than what the PSA 6 sold for.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
I have said many nice things on the board...what i said to you isnt mean, its the truth. Your post seems not nice to me though and you are doing much worse than whatever you wrongly accusing me of...

Maybe pot calling the kettle black..
Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post

Is this still true on eBay? I have been on eBay since very close to the beginning and it is definitely true about the first 10 years. Since then I only sell once in a while and have had horrible luck with $.99 starting bids the last 6-8 years. I am sure some of that is because I no longer have the great customer base I did in the beginning.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Is this still true on eBay? I have been on eBay since very close to the beginning and it is definitely true about the first 10 years. Since then I only sell once in a while and have had horrible luck with $.99 starting bids the last 6-8 years. I am sure some of that is because I no longer have the great customer base I did in the beginning.
I would say it is NOT true anymore. Unless you are Probstein or PWCC and run a .99 cent auction, you run the risk of your item selling poorly, especially if there is a small window of people interested in your item. Ebay has completely bungled their format for the past 8 years due to their attempt to copy Amazon. They were not content with being Ebay.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Jeff Lar.son

I still don't understand being mad at pwcc for this. There are definitely reasons to dislike them, but if their hammer prices beat yours by that much, you could try, you know, having them sell your stuff.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 PM

Speaking strictly in theoretical terms, one might say the auctions set unreachable precedent for other people and when I go to the negotiating table they might point to the sale in order to support an above market pricing.

Last edited by packs; 11-29-2017 at 03:30 PM.