NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Default Negotiating with Dealers

Posted By: John S

When purchasing a card from a dealer what percentage of the time do you negotiate price? I am not talking about shows as I believe they are an entirely different animal. I am speaking about a dealer with a catalog or website with prices listed. Do you ever ask to decrease a listed price or do you consider this to be bad card buying etiquette?

Old 04-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

There is nothing wrong with asking for a better price. The seller always has a right to say "no". Any seller who would be offended by you asking is just overly sensitive. However, if the card is priced fairly, I wouldn't want to develop a reputation of being the guy who always tries to grind for an additional $10 off.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 04-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

John,

Don't take this the wrong way as I am not trying to start anything.

Do you pay sticker price for a car? My point is everything is negotiable, some people raise their prices to try and catch a sucker that really doesn't now the value of the card or they are unaware of the actual value too. Offer a price that you think is fair and if the dealer can let go of the card at that price he will. If not he may come back with a counter offer.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Hey Charlie,

No offense taken. As stated in my question I was seeking opinions. I am just interested to see how other board members approach this situation. I am sure that you as well as the rest of the board members have personal relationships with many of the dealers. I have been buying from some of the same guys for over twenty-five years. They know my voice, my face, and couple of them email me to get opinions on cards/collections that they are thinking about purchasing. These types of relationships make it more difficult to negotiate listed prices. Dealers have a tougher time today than ten years ago for a multitude of reasons with the internet being central to all. Most seem more reluctant to haggle.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

see a dealer item that is non-negotiable. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. For example there is a post for the sale of some SGC 40 T206, seven of which I am interested in. I will see what the seller can do for the bulk purchase. I will of course ask him to verify himself by emailing me a picture of himself holding the cards.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Occasionally I ask for a discount if I'm buying in bulk or the price is just too high in comparison to recent sales. I never ask for just a few bucks off for no good reason because it's just petty and I can't stand when people do it to me in my business.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

what david said is true, you certainly don't want to delvelop a reputation for shaving a dealer's profit to the bare minimum.

but to directly answer john's question (hi john), i would say....the purchasor and the seller of cards (or anything else) must have good knowledge of what he/she is selling or buying.

if you have good knowledge of the value of an item, then you can set what is a fair price as a seller. as a buyer you can accept a fair price without negotiation....or you can negotiate a fair price.

knowledge is power. those in the know will not always be able to agree on a deal, but if one party is clueless....then a fair deal is highly unlikely....almost impossible.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

I try and negotiate if it's an issue I'm familiar with and I know the price is too high.

Occasionally, though, I do the opposite. If a seller has a card I want - and I know they have others - and they offer it to me at a discount, I will insist on paying full price. I don't want the seller to think he has to give me a discount in order for me to buy, because next time he's got a better card, I want him to come to me with it, and not someone else.

-Al

Old 04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Tim Newcomb is the best negotiator I have ever seen with regard to cards. The guy is incredible
Bob

Old 04-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

A friendly "what can you do on this card"? usually results in a better price. I suspect that prices are made slightly high which leaves room for bargaining.

Frank