NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default Walt Corson's checklists

Posted By: leon

Hey Folks,
Some will remember, not long ago, that there were some N167's on ebay. I have been speaking with the Dad of the ebay seller since then. He is a very nice gentleman, whom at 76 years young, sounds like he has more pep than I do !! As a very renowned publisher of numerous books of postcards, Mr.James Lowe, also had the good fortune of being very good friends with one of the true pioneers of the collecting hobby, Walt Corson (since deceased). You might have heard the Corson name in conjunction with Frank Nagy. Mr. Corson sold Mr.Nagy his collection around 1960. There was a story that Bill Masro wrote not too long ago about the escapade to buy the collection. We don't know if the N167's were Mr.Corson's or not, but they could have been. One of the things I enjoy about the hobby is the new information that comes out, and the searches it takes to find it. Yesterday I consummated the deal to buy Mr.Corson's personal checklists. Not a great monetary value but certainly of worthwhile hobby interest. What I got was the 1950 Book Of Checklists (shown here) put out by Charles Bray. It cost a princely some of $2.00 back then. The 80 pages of lists look like they are typewritten, though I wouldn't think they could be. It is of normal notebook size though I made the scan smaller here. There are about 40 pages of checklists of Mr.Corson's, in sometimes minute handwriting, along with the book. There is much information in this grouping and I will add some more as we go. Nothing earthshaking but still pretty neat. For now here is what the book looked like on the outside. On the first page it says

"The Book of Checklists is now ready to mail. It covers more than 80 pages and is a collection of the checklists originally published in the Card Collectors Bulletin No's 1-60. It includes all of the known additions that have been reported to the editor, and corrections to 1950. Price $2.00 Send to Charles Bray East Bangor PENNA."

The 2nd page says:

"Appreciation for the assistance and aid in compiling the book goes to Mr.J.R. Burdick and Mr.Gene Denardo. While not complete, it is hoped that omissions will be reported when discovered, so that a supplement may be added sometime in the future. Charles Bray"

There were a few letters with this grouping and here is one from the true grandfather of American Card Collecting, Jefferson Budick.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Very cool stuff. Some good reading there.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Administrator

There will be some baseball related stuff coming in a few more posts....like this letter from Buck Barker....actually there might be some hidden baseball info as we go....ya'll will see what I mean soon....and what were you doing on 12/31/56 ?

Old 04-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Thank you guys... THIS stuff is the legacy of our hobby. How we got where we are. I clearly recall reading and looking and hunting for Guiheen's first name. How could Beckett list the first names of all of these T206 guys but his??? Well I finally found "Tom", as did others, and now, in today's lists, kids see Tom and think nothing of it. It tickles me to see that other folks were concerned about this before me. Many a night, after reading copies of old newspaper articles, my tired eyes would close and as I tried to sleep I could see Guiheen's smug face staring back at me from that deep colored card of his... the rascal.

Thank you both for sharing scans of that correspondence.

Frank.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

A LARGE COOL Leon!

I'll be checking Network54 more often than normal today, post away!

Old 04-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Ernst

Leon--
Great stuff!! I'm privileged to have not thrown away correspondence that I had with Rich Egan, Lionel Carter, Nagy, and others from the early 1970's which certainly doesn't go back as far as yours. It's fun to read that kind of stuff--e.g. the letter from Egan indicating that my Hindu T-205 was the first ever reported to him, and that he would begin adding that to his checklist.
We owe a debt of gratitude to those pioneers who, like many of us, did this because of their love for the game and for the cards. The hobby was a bit short of commercialized back then, wasn't it?

Old 04-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

It's good to see folks enjoy this kind of stuff as much as I do. I am back at work right now but there will be some other stuff coming in this thread, later, from this assortment of stuff I got. I know of one tidbit that is most interesting...I'll see if I can post it tonight....best regards

Old 04-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Very cool!
JimB

Old 04-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

Can't wait to see more!

Old 04-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Notice anything around the T206's?

Old 04-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I'd love to have that Cobb back, but give me the Hustler back 1st.

joe

Old 04-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

"4 - Hans Wagner"? Am I reading that right?

Old 04-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

I think those are the ones he still needed...but not positive...

Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Ah, must be.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

awesome stuff leon...hence the elusive hustler "t206" back!! too bad there's not a baseball player on the flip side!
pete in mn

Old 04-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mcavoy

this is great stuff. Congratulations with your purchase. That 3"by5" card is probably a want list rather than a checklist.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HandsAtNeck

K52, #2 Manure Dryer, Bombay & K55, #1 Elephant + Rhino fight would be interesting non-sport cards (I assume these activities are not sports).

Old 04-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

This is the coolest of the cool. With all the big dollars in the hobby now, you'd think a few people would get together and try to set up a museum for cards. They could rescue the Burdick collection and others that are rotting away in museums unseen by others. Notes and letters like these would be awesome additions to any museum dedicated to the hobby.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

I just found the Old Judge checklists and stuff too....I might try to post some but they are rather voluminous ....getting with the Richard 3 dollar words