NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default What keeps you collecting?

Every now and then there is some ebb and flow with my enthusiasm for collecting. I suspect almost everyone goes through this at some point. For me, seeking the next really nice card for my collection, or the reallly good "buy" to be able to resell, keeps me going. That, coupled with mingling with my hobby friends, keeps me going. How about you?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Two things: a deep, troubling addiction (seriously, no joke, I've got it bad, so bad). And the present ability to pay for that deep, troubling addiction.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default now that is funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Two things: a deep, troubling addiction (seriously, no joke, I've got it bad, so bad). And the present ability to pay for that deep, troubling addiction.
I am just sitting here laughing my arse off......I have a feeling there are so many of us with this same freaking issue

Last edited by Leon; 10-22-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I can feel your pain on the former point, but not really the latter. My pocketbook/wife only allows a shallow, worrying addiction.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Dynarl Broughman

I blame NET 54 because I see al the great items here and I HAVE TO HAVE THEM
Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Acquiring a New One

Writing those tuition checks out to Johns Hopkins allows me to claim a Jones like Jeff and a pocketbook like Darryl.

But every time I acquire just one new Old Judge....AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Jimmy

Default What keeps you collecting

History of the game, and I enjoy helping others

Jimmy
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM

1 - Enjoy baseball history
2 - Enjoy collecting my favorite team (St. Louis Cardinals)
3 - Ebay makes it easy
4 - Deluding myself into thinking it's an investment
5 - It's slowly turning into a Cardinal type collection
6 - I've got a lot of inexpensive stuff displayed all over my
office, makes a great conversation piece
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I sometimes ask myself the same question, "why do I do this?" Especially when I often think the value of these collectibles will go down in the long, long, term, as the collecting generation gets older and older every year.

But then I read a good baseball book (most recently, "59 in '84") and I am reminded of my love for the game and American history. When I pick up an old baseball card, I feel an unexplainable connection to that history, it is the closest thing to a time machine.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Every now and then there is some ebb and flow with my enthusiasm for collecting. I suspect almost everyone goes through this at some point. For me, seeking the next really nice card for my collection, or the reallly good "buy" to be able to resell, keeps me going. That, coupled with mingling with my hobby friends, keeps me going. How about you?
I think several times a year..I sort of take a break from the cards..but once the baseball season rolls around...my interest perks up again...now that I go the "type card collection" route..it's more fun then ever.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Seeing Leon each year at the National !!!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM

I like getting mail.

I have found renewed interest of late after several months without a purchase. I have my collecting goals and I'm proud of myself when I purchase something for less than I had aimed at and I am able to scratch it off my list. I'm also proud of myself when I don't stray outside my collecting goals. For me, it's about focus.

Side note. Friend of mine (dirty old man) said that he never remembered girls looking like they did back when he was a teenager. He says this as our nineteen year old waitress hands us Vietnamese Pho bowls. Looking at that photograph, I may tend to agree. If I had my choice...hmmmm....top row, right, maybe?

DanC
Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post

If I had my choice...hmmmm....top row, right, maybe?

DanC
Well you're in luck Dan because she reentered the market -- last week her husband died of old age and her kids put her in the assisted living center over on 5th ave.

She's lonely and looking for love